I got a very strange mail from DMV????

I got speeding ticket once in Washington DC in 2007. I was in hurry home from Gallaudet. DC has too many cameras!

OP is purely lucky, cause now any speeders found guilty is REQUIRED to take Driving defense course (5 hours minimum). Here is another reason why it is best to show up court with NOT guilty, and hope for lesser charges or having charges dropped.

Never forget...I relocated to NC from Florida....went to the DMV and changed everything over (license, tag, etc.)....One day, I got a notice in the mail that I owed $$ for "Road Tax"....:roll:...I thought it was just some BS!...and threw it in the trash...I'd never heard of having to pay "Road Tax"....Sometime later on, got a letter saying I had to turn in my Plate....say what?...couldn't drive for 30 days!...I was really livid, went down to the DMV and they took my Plate, regardless....I did pay the "tax" and the explanation that I was from Florida, and never heard of such a "tax"...didn't faze the DMV....

Paying Road TAx in NC?...The roads there are in bad shape...so glad I relocated back to Florida. NC taxed me to death!...

Yes same here, except that I was from NY... really it is a property taxes levied on your car value, AKA "Use Tax". Not all states have that, laws varies from state to state so I don't expect anyone here knows all of the laws in 50 states, even myself too.

It does not matter where your from, no states really give a damn where your from as long as you follow their law not the law where you came from.

I moved out NC as I hate NC so much! Never again live there!

Never forget...I relocated to NC from Florida....went to the DMV and changed everything over (license, tag, etc.)....One day, I got a notice in the mail that I owed $$ for "Road Tax"....:roll:...I thought it was just some BS!...and threw it in the trash...I'd never heard of having to pay "Road Tax"....Sometime later on, got a letter saying I had to turn in my Plate....say what?...couldn't drive for 30 days!...I was really livid, went down to the DMV and they took my Plate, regardless....I did pay the "tax" and the explanation that I was from Florida, and never heard of such a "tax"...didn't faze the DMV....

Paying Road TAx in NC?...The roads there are in bad shape...so glad I relocated back to Florida. NC taxed me to death!...

Yes same here, except that I was from NY... really it is a property taxes levied on your car value, AKA "Use Tax". Not all states have that, laws varies from state to state so I don't expect anyone here knows all of the laws in 50 states, even myself too….
Yeah, we have to pay property taxes on all our vehicles, too. :mad:

Yeah, we have to pay property taxes on all our vehicles, too. :mad:
Yup I remember paying that when I lived there.. thought that was just so strange. SC though doesn't do emissions testing and my father couldn't quite understand that- first 2 years he kept asking me (as NC does do emissions) to make sure I checked to be sure. Yep dad I did and nope dad they don't do that in SC.

Yup I remember paying that when I lived there.. thought that was just so strange. SC though doesn't do emissions testing and my father couldn't quite understand that- first 2 years he kept asking me (as NC does do emissions) to make sure I checked to be sure. Yep dad I did and nope dad they don't do that in SC.
Right.

It said "For failure of driving responsibilty assessment"

a tiny correction if you please- it's
driver responsibility assessment, not driving.

and Diehard is right. here's is detailed explanation:

What is a driver responsibility assessment?

The driver responsibility assessment is a fee you must pay to DMV over a three year period if you are convicted of certain traffic offenses in New York State or accumulate six or more points on your driving record within 18 months. This fee is in addition to any fines, penalties or surcharges that you must pay for a traffic conviction. The purpose of the assessment is to prevent the repeated behavior of problem drivers and to improve traffic safety. The quickest and easiest way to pay a driver responsibility assessment is online.

Who must pay a driver responsibility assessment?

Effective November 18, 2004, you must pay a driver responsibility assessment if

you were convicted of an alcohol or drugged driving-related traffic offense while driving a motor vehicle, boat, or snowmobile in New York State
you were found to have refused to take a chemical test for blood alcohol content in New York State
you received 6 or more points on your NYS driver record within an 18 month period for convictions of traffic offenses committed in New York, Quebec or Ontario
You must pay the driver responsibility assessment whether you have a driver license issued by New York State, another jurisdiction or if you do not have a driver license.

DRA

Please read carefully highlighted parts - it will help to understand how it works.

Once you owe DRA to NY DMV, it doesn't matter where you are, if you still have your DL, a car, whether you still drive or not - NY wants it paid wherever you are and whatever you do. period.

Fuzzy

Sheesh, I didn't realize two things... 2004? I thought it was more recent, wow! time must have fly so fast! Second, WTF? it appears that I will get points if I get speeding ticket or other violations right across the border? WTH? This is UNREAL!

Canada is about 35 miles from here.

OMFG!!! WTF?!? Wow, that was established in 2004 - 11 years behind. Now I see the list of points and how much charge....wtf again, 300 dollars is what I've paid for a speed ticket letter which was sent to my current address last Fall it meant i got 6 points, right? But 10 points for 600 dollars in DMV letter was sent to my old address five months later. What the hell is going on. They must be dishonest playing games with me!!

please read this:

The biggest issue that arises with the DRAF involves its payment. Many motorists (especially ones with out-of-date addresses with DMV) fail to timely pay the fee and wind up getting suspended.

Did you informed the NY DMV of your moving out and resulting change of address? if not, how are they supposed to know you moved out, and where?

Fuzzy

Well, in BC a drunk driving law is though.

The legal limit under the BC Motor Vehicle Act is 50 milligrams, called .05. But if the ASD shows a blood-alcohol concentration below 60 (rather than 50), the police will probably let you leave. If the ASD shows Warn, the police will probably give you an IRP*.
CBA British Columbia - 190 - Cbabc.org
cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Dial-A-Law/Scripts/Automobiles/190
(at the beginning of GOOGLE)
* Immediate Roadside Prohibition (“IRP”)

Indicators and Roadside Screening Devices

Fuzzy

Did you informed the NY DMV of your moving out and resulting change of address? if not, how are they supposed to know you moved out, and where?

Fuzzy

Possible... depends on when she moved out. I would think she did get the address changed on her license, though I know that isn't always the case (err... speaking from experience). But the letter she got was in February 2015. I would think any other letters prior to that to the same address she would have gotten those too from her ex roomie. Makes me wonder if she only just recently moved.

obviously, she must have changed her address on her DL after the DMV sent her the letter/s.

ps
- it doesn't matter when she moved - what matters is when she changed her address on her DL.
because that's the only thing DMV needs to know about her new whereabouts.

Fuzzy

ps
- it doesn't matter when she moved - what matters is when she changed her address on her DL.
because that's the only thing DMV needs to know about her new whereabouts.

Fuzzy
I wouldn't know... I'm only guessing as she did not provide any further information other than she lived there for 3 years then moved.

Just speculation on my part.

What I meant by "depends on when she moved out" was- she could have moved out in December 2014 and not had the time to get her address changed on her DL therefore the DMV sends to the old address. She wasn't clear on that.

Again just spitballing.

Well, what matter is, to be charged with DRAF she must have committed a traffic violations or/and accumulate 6 or more points (she did 10) on her DL to warrant that.
It doesn't matter if OP still have a DL, drives a car, owns a car or whatever.
only what offence she did at a time, and what the penalty for it is.

The fact that the letter was sent to her old address doesn't mean anything about the offence itself.
it only means that OP haven't changed her address on her DL at a time the letter was being sent. it is not a DMV fault, either.

From what OP wrote here, she's got a ticket in 2014 in NY state
September 2014 up near Watertown, NY. which clearly is NY - where DRA fees are issued.
It is very recent, and since the tickets are issued for parking, speeding, moving violations etc explanation whether a car was rental or her own is a moot point.
I am guessing it was sent to her old address because she didn't change it, simply.
It will cost her a lot more if she still drags on. a simple mathematics, sorry.

Fuzzy

Done with arguing about this since I know nothing about it (apparently you do...)..

As it is it is also likely that the DMV is behind at least 6 months in sending out stuff if the letter was dated February 2015 so it isn't exactly being dragged out that much- although it is 2 months later right now. I would think the DMV would be more prompt than that.

first off -- to silverroxy - yup - draf is very real. my oldest son got one for TWO speeding tickets in less the 2 months apart. needless to say - I was pissed at him. both tickets were paid for, and then he got the draf few months later. he paid it online and the link in the letter is real as I called DMV about it and its real. You have no choice , but to pay it.
Also you need to go online and take the very boring and tediious defensive driver course, its your only shot to get 4 points off now and wait 3 years to get another 2 off automatically then take the course again...etc. Its the only way to get rid of points fast and you never know if something changes later in your life that you need to drive again and possibly own a car.
I understand about the drivers lincense address thing - same thing happened to me. I moved from one house to another and I got a renewal lincense with new address on it. Few years later I got a ticket and the letter went to my old address. good thing for me I was able to access mail there and needless to say i marched right to the local DMV and complained. LOOK! my lincense says new house but you sent letter to old address. what GIVES? all they did is shrug and say ok . sorry. and they moved on from there . I was flabbergasted. I gave up and just moved on too.

Speaking of taxes, we are taxed for rain. Yep, for rain. It's for rainwater runoff pollution and I'm paying nearly 100 bucks a year for that.

Back