I got a very strange mail from DMV????

Hmm, I just came across a registration & insurance card for a car I haven't owned for over 7 years. Maybe I should keep them to prove i don't own a car.

I know that ! I was say to use it as proof that the last time she owned a car! Good grief ! I believe in showing proof by bringing in all the papers works you have to show that
you're right and the other party is wrong!

It does not prove anything cause u could have bought car from anyone, anywhere and DMV wont know after all. Its impossible to prove when u have nothing. Having nothing does not always necessarily means u have nothing.

Its like I don't have money, look at my pockets.... Really? Oh really?

*shrug* simple - move out of NY.

NY DMV system is basically an extortion. its inspection and registration fees and point system are ridiculous.

That's why I avoid doing any stupid in NYC like speeding for instance.

What about parking ticket in NY state? Does that affect drivers as well? I had a parking ticket in NYC a few years ago and I did challenge a judge online. The fine was reduced from $62 to $42, then I pleaded no contest and paid the fine.

For Katz4life, that sucks. I hope your situation will be resolve soon. Like everyone else said, get a lawyer if DMV screws you over.

I know that ! I was say to use it as proof that the last time she owned a car! Good grief ! I believe in showing proof by bringing in all the papers works you have to show that
you're right and the other party is wrong!
well that's if she still HAS the registration.. I don't keep expired registrations for vehicles I don't own anymore (considering one was totaled-- I did keep the insurance stuff on that for over 10 years).

It's as DHB said-- it doesn't matter what car she has/had or or doesn't have/had. It's based on the driver's license. She may have been driving a rental car when she got those tickets (particularly the later ones if she didn't have a car since 2007. So there's no point really in showing them a long invalid registration.

Sort of like it's probably pointless to explain for certain reasons... :sigh:

Exactly my point, anyone can never own or registered a vehicle while holding drivers license, rental is one way, borrow friends car, roomates car, and so on, trying to prove that one dont drive using expired registration wont convince anyone into believe they havent drive, what if they actually still drive car with expired registration? So judge wont buy it.

well that's if she still HAS the registration.. I don't keep expired registrations for vehicles I don't own anymore (considering one was totaled-- I did keep the insurance stuff on that for over 10 years).

It's as DHB said-- it doesn't matter what car she has/had or or doesn't have/had. It's based on the driver's license. She may have been driving a rental car when she got those tickets (particularly the later ones if she didn't have a car since 2007. So there's no point really in showing them a long invalid registration.

Sort of like it's probably pointless to explain for certain reasons... :sigh:

One potential way to ask for waiver is if u are willing to give up driving for good by declare legally blind. If ur really legally blind, ur driver privilage becomes permanent revoked knowing one can not drive period.

Trade off by declaring legally blind involves more money from uncle sam and maybe state.

I wont declare legally blind cause I would go nuts Losing drivers license.

Just a tip

Other thing that some states have these law that many may not knowing. I know of at least 4 states (NY, PA, MA, MD) that requires surrender of license plate/registration when they allow insurance lapse on their vehicle. If one don't surrender license plate, normally DMV won't do a thing for about 80 days then send letter with fine (15/day for NY). Expired registration does not excuse one from failing to surrender license plate.

This is only tip for anyone that may not be aware of this. I have known this NY law since 1985 when state were dealing with too many uninsured motorist. PA copied NY plate surrendering requirements about 8 years ago, but PA penalty is even worse than NY, as PA will cause motorist insurance premium shot up by three-fold for 3 years minimum, EVEN one day of lapse on insurance coverage. Here in NY, if more than 90 days, will have effect on motorist insurance premium, 30 days won't affect insurance). Maryland very similar as PA, I am not sure of Massachusetts penalty.

Sounds like a scam to me. It's pretty common for scam artists to use the DMV to defraud money out of their victims. If the letter had no contact info, it's a scam. Exactly what is " For failure to drive responsibly assessment?" never heard that one before.

Sounds like a scam to me. It's pretty common for scam artists to use the DMV to defraud money out of their victims. If the letter had no contact info, it's a scam. Exactly what is " For failure to drive responsibly assessment?" never heard that one before.

Did you read through the thread? It may be legit after all.

Nope it is not scam, its law that passed few years, if u get too many points, u get total of 4 tickets, first one is the penalty for violations, then each year thereafter for 3 years get whats like reminder not to break the law again, pay this fine again.

I know this law for a while cause I live here for too long. U can google up nys dmv and find out for urself.

No judgment on you or anything OP, but I don't understand how one can get so many speeding tickets. I only got one speeding ticket in 2010, which I took the driver's ed class again to drop it. The previous ticket was when I was in an accident with a negligent driver, I was at fault too, but that was in 2006 and a driver's ed class dropped the charge.

In the ten years I've been driving, I only got two tickets: 1 for Accident and 1 for Speeding. Either NY gives out tickets like crazy, or OP seriously has a problem with speeding.

No judgment on you or anything OP, but I don't understand how one can get so many speeding tickets. I only got one speeding ticket in 2010, which I took the driver's ed class again to drop it. The previous ticket was when I was in an accident with a negligent driver, I was at fault too, but that was in 2006 and a driver's ed class dropped the charge.

In the ten years I've been driving, I only got two tickets: 1 for Accident and 1 for Speeding. Either NY gives out tickets like crazy, or OP seriously has a problem with speeding.
I drove for 40 years and never got a ticket. :cool2:

Got so many speeding tickets in my younger years....but now I'm a Safe Driver...:giggle:...Insurance is very low too. So I don't knock young drivers...been there and done that. I do carry my boys on my Insurance Policy tho'....but cautioned them flat-out..."the first ticket you get...or the first accident you have and it's your fault...I'll cut you right off"!...So far it's been all good. All 3 seem to be good and cautious drivers. And the best thing is, my boys don't drink....

No judgment on you or anything OP, but I don't understand how one can get so many speeding tickets.

One factor to take into account is the location. Some locations are free-for-all while some you'll get a ticket for going 5 over.

I speed all the time and yet I've gotten a ticket every 3-4 years because I'm careful about where and when I speed.

I drove for 40 years and never got a ticket. :cool2:

For me it has been almost 57 years (just a few months shy) without anything but a parking ticket or so of the overstayed a parking meter type. Nothing moving. Expect it to continue.

Clarification, I don't think OP got too many speeding tickets. Its the points thats she got, if she hit 6 points EVEN if only 1 speeding ticket and its over 20MPH I think, and got ticket, pay fine now, next year DMV will send you another letter with another fine being assessed, its act as a reminder to SLOW down, offered option to pay each year for 3 years or pay all 3 now. So likely OP may have only 1 or 2 speeding violations.

I remember in newspaper explaining why this law was introduced in NYS as too many people kept forgetting that they got speeding ticket and kept speeding anyway, NYS DMV wants to keep reminding the violators not to break the law again.

Keep in mind, a speeding ticket OP will have to pay is about the same amount as in Mass, Maryland. SPeeding ticket can be as high as 800 dollars there while OP is stuck with 600 dollars fine so its about the same.

Back