deafdude1

Reaction score
Take the online sentence matrix test!

65db loudness as measured with SPL meter
male voice
normal speed
no noise
25 sentences

Scored 72%. First time I got a 63% with 10 sentences. Score about 5% less with female voice. Score around 40% with some noise and 25%(chance) with lots of noise. Is this considered a fairly decent score? What did you score and under what settings? Do any of you have a link to other online speech tests?

I tried again, same settings but 10 sentences. No repeats and got 73%

1238207305044154500.jpg

I wouldn't put any stock in these results.

However, 72% speech discrimination (when the proper tests are conducted by an audi) isn't bad.

When I wore hearing aids and had severe-profound hearing loss, my speech discrimination was always in the 30-40% range for sentences in quiet and 0% for sentences in noise until 2004 when it decreased to 8% for my left ear and 22% for my right.

You are doing a very small closed set (set of 4) sentences. That is considered to be an "easy" test.

I am hearing and I took the test at fast and loud backround and both male and female, I also turned my volume down to half, I still got 100% But with single word, open set tests, I will score as low as in the 80's. Sorry to burst your bubble.

First time I got 88% with female voice, slow speed, and ten sentences. And then second tried 93% correct with again female, normal speed n' ten sentences.

I asked a neighbor to help me take this test and I received 78% with a male voice played at normal speed without any background noise. I had difficulty understanding what was said because the speaker sounded like he had an English accent. I don't understand people with accents well. I never have -- even after I started wearing hearing aids in 1985.

When listening to the female voice with no background noise at normal speed, I was able to understand 90%. That surprised me because I normally hear male voices better than I do female.

I scored 83% when listening to the male voice at fast speed without any background noise. That makes no sense to me. How can I understand speech better in background noise as opposed to quiet?

With the female voice at fast speed with background noise, I scored 93%. That also surprises me since I have more difficulty hearing female voices than I do male voices.

When comparing my percentages with the female voice being played at slow speed as opposed to fast, it's obvious that I understand much better when speech is a little faster. I notice this in real life as well. When people overenuciate their words or speak very slowly, it makes speech more difficult for me to understand.

I should add that I received all of the percentages above without having any repeats. I'm sure I could have scored much higher if I had used this feature.

You are doing a very small closed set (set of 4) sentences. That is considered to be an "easy" test.

I am hearing and I took the test at fast and loud backround and both male and female, I also turned my volume down to half, I still got 100% But with single word, open set tests, I will score as low as in the 80's. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You have amazing hearing! :D Do you have a link to any other online speech hearing tests?

First time I got 88% with female voice, slow speed, and ten sentences. And then second tried 93% correct with again female, normal speed n' ten sentences.

Good score! How good is your hearing unaided/aided? Or did you just practice alot?

Hear Again, your scores are better than mine. I will try the test again when I have my HAs reprogrammed for more gain and other features.

Hear Again, your scores are better than mine.

I think this is due to the fact that I have CIs and more hearing than you do aided.

For whatever reason, the female voice sounded much clearer to me than the male voice.

The male voice sounded as if it had an English accent. I think this is what accounted for my difficulty understanding.

deafdude1,

I recommend using an audi for real tests, but if you REALLY want to check how well you can discriminate speech, you can try out this:

http://www.hearingjourney.com/Liste...rimination_Activities/CLIX/index.cfm?langid=1

You download a program called CLIX and it gives you four options to choose from. It has different levels based on different syllables/vowels/consonants, etc. It's not meant to be a test. It's actually for CI users to train with, which is what I am doing.

Hear Again, your scores are better than mine.

I think this is due to the fact that I have CIs and more hearing than you do aided.

For whatever reason, the female voice sounded much clearer to me than the male voice.

The male voice sounded as if it had an English accent. I think this is what accounted for my difficulty understanding.

Yes he had an accent. Very odd considering this was made for people with a hearing loss. The site also has some auditory rehab stuff and I was cheesed off that he had an accent for it.

Yes he had an accent. Very odd considering this was made for people with a hearing loss. The site also has some auditory rehab stuff and I was cheesed off that he had an accent for it.

I agree about the poor choice of using a male voice that has an accent.

I also don't agree with using names and objects that sound so similar. (i.e. Joan, John, have, had, has, etc.) It would be a better idea if they chose words that did not sound alike -- especially for new CI users.

Good score! How good is your hearing unaided/aided? Or did you just practice alot?

My hearing is okay, but my headphone aided that helps. No, I didn't practice a lot after I left I did try it again. I thought that was fun challenges to listen to the similar verbs, but I got almost right with only 98% female, fast speed, 25 sentences. My problem is that I don't wear HA's that often becuz I'm allergic to the ear molds. I only wear 'em for a brief that's why I don't listen that much.

Actually, not so odd...Med-El is very popular in Europe, so they probably are used to hearing "their" accents. This is from Med-El's site. The one from Advance Bionics is American version, so Hear Again and I and other Americans will have a bit of an easier time hearing that one.

So I suspect that is the reason why of British accent. It is very prominent.

My scores:

Male, Normal speed, no noise - 98% I only got one wrong...between Joan and John

Female, Normal speed, some noise - 93% got the names John and Joan mixed and Has/had. The numbers and object are easy for me to understand.

Mind you - I also watch a lot of BBC America, so I've gotten used to the English accents and how they pronounce things, so it's probably why my score is a bit high.

I didn't bother taking this test cuz I know I will score VERY POORLY as I did in audi's test. I'm not disappointed anyway. :cool2:

Actually, not so odd...Med-El is very popular in Europe, so they probably are used to hearing "their" accents. This is from Med-El's site. The one from Advance Bionics is American version, so Hear Again and I and other Americans will have a bit of an easier time hearing that one.

So I suspect that is the reason why of British accent. It is very prominent.

I never thought about that, but you're right Lady. Good point. :)

I got 83% at normal speed with both maleand female with medium background. I think my score was really based on the visual ques (the words). Had the words not been there I know my score would have been much worst.

Back