i DEAF NEWS Mobile: DePaul Celebrates Competition of Rochester View Apartments

rockin'robin

Reaction score
i DEAF NEWS Mobile: DePaul Celebrates Competition of Rochester View Apartments - Affordable Housing for Deaf / HOH Residents
‪#‎rva‬ ‪#‎rochesterviewapartments‬ ‪#‎deaf‬ ‪#‎news‬ ‪#‎asl‬ ‪#‎depaul‬ ‪#‎rrcd‬ ‪#‎deafclub‬ DePaul Rochester, New York Fox News BBC News CCTVNews ABC News NBC News CNN CNN International Rochester Recreation Club for the Deaf

http://ideafnews.com/2015/10/22/i-d...ts-affordable-housing-for-deaf-hoh-residents/

Nice!...and these are the apartments that Kim Rock was complaining about!...She is even in the video...giving the apartments accolades!...Say what?

Exactly, that is what Kim Rock is trying to say.

Even though her complain is valid, and she was right all along, but the problem is there is law that prohibits segregation for special interest group when it comes to equal housing opportunity. What really embarrassing the Deaf community is that they are barking at wrong tree way too loud.

I still support and have hope to see some special programs for special needs groups, not just for Deaf, but any kind that have their own needs, its not going to happen until the equal opportunity law rewrites with amendment that allows special interest for special purpose.

This isn't the first time that housing authorities have misleading Deaf community, it had happened in Arizona, Ohio, here, and elsewhere.

The apartments are for deaf AND HOH....so most liklely the HOH were the neighbors complaining about all the noises she and her 2 grandkids were making...Those are long Hallways...and her grandkids running up and down...hollering and yelling..whatever....So I do feel the management and the neighbors had a valid reason to complain....as she was not in control of her grandchildren, letting them be a nuisance to others...

The apartments are for deaf AND HOH....so most liklely the HOH were the neighbors complaining about all the noises she and her 2 grandkids were making...Those are long Hallways...and her grandkids running up and down...hollering and yelling..whatever....So I do feel the management and the neighbors had a valid reason to complain....as she was not in control of her grandchildren, letting them be a nuisance to others...

Did you realize that they can't restrict to Deaf or HOH, its not about noises, those who have mental retarded, not even slight hearing loss STILL QUALIFIES and can not be turned away. Blind without hearing loss STILL welcome, So basicially ANYONE with disabilities can live there if they want to. That creates the problem and making so called "Deaf" only apartment moot after all.

The problem here, the idea originally was to build a Assisted homes for aged Deaf and HOH ONLY (Those with hearing loss), and that was in the talk for about 8 years I think, then as soon as they complete the building, everything changed. That is where the problem is, nothing to do with Kim rock and her grandkids,

RR, Please realize this, I was there, heard, seen and I was hoping that my wife could get job there as it would be perfect opportunity for my wife as she was experienced caregiver only to find out they don't give a damn about Deaf, all due to respect of law that requires equal opportunity housing.

https://www.depaul.org/rochester-view-apartments.aspx

As per the information in this link, they are for hearing also.

Deaf is not a requirement.

https://www.depaul.org/rochester-view-apartments.aspx

As per the information in this link, they are for hearing also.

Deaf is not a requirement.

Right, you are correct on this one.

I forgot to add this, I know who started this project and I am not at liberal at mentioned who it was out of respect. That person who is Deaf, and retired started this project worked hard to get this approved by NYS. As soon as they finally approved, I asked that person for update and follow up... that person said I can't talk, I am out of this....with hint that it has to do with political BS. Now I understood the problem that this person was trying to tell me.

Deaf person started this program only to get screwed by stupid equal opportunity law that was written years ago including ADA, and these passed in early 70's.

Lets put this in perspective

We all know that the discrimination is illegal, right?

When we hear employers, housing, whoever, etc said we accept only hearing people, we call that discrimination, right? I am sure you all know that right?

Now, turn the table around 180 degrees, when we hear employer, housing, whoever, etc said we accept only Deaf/HOH people, are we calling that discrimination too, right?

This is precisely the problem we are having when we want to have housing that is 100% dedicated for the Deaf/HOH only.

I would think there would someone saying what is being sign , how else will hearing people be educated about the needs of deaf people if they don't know ASL ?

You can't accept there to be CC if they nothing for hearing to hear or read . I feel this should work both way.

I am a bit lost on this. Why is this a bad thing? If I was to go to any apartment complex they are all geared for the hearing. Seems like it would be nice to have an apartment that is already set up for the deaf hoh... Simple things like a proper fire alarm would already be in place... It would also give more sense of community for deaf.

I am a bit lost on this. Why is this a bad thing? If I was to go to any apartment complex they are all geared for the hearing. Seems like it would be nice to have an apartment that is already set up for the deaf hoh... Simple things like a proper fire alarm would already be in place... It would also give more sense of community for deaf.

Me too!....Personally, I wouldn't want to live there...(don't like the floor plan)...walking in the front door and seeing the kitchen sink?...Nah!...:giggle: And they are small....anyway....As with all apartments, there is gonna be complaints about the tenants...whether it's the noises, dogs barking, theft...list goes on and on.

Would it make more sense to have the deaf all on one floor and the HOH and hearing on another floor? Feel sure the HOH and hearing would minimize the noise they make....since deafies don't realize it? Then again, there's the loud music that a lot of hearies play....

Kim Rock complained she was given 10 days to stop making so much noise...and her grandkids (it seems) were the ones doing it...or she would be given 30 days to move....:hmm:

I had 3 grandkids and never got a complaint about too much noise, never been threatened with eviction and I'm totally deaf.

Looks like dorms targeted at those going to NTID

May look that way, but nope, have you been at RIT lately? It is not like back in 20th century! Even not the same as it was in 1999! They (RIT) is booming like crazy.

So this apartment has to do with NTID? Nope, it is somewhat too far, too far for walking distance so it doesn't make sense if it were for NTID.

May look that way, but nope, have you been at RIT lately? It is not like back in 20th century! Even not the same as it was in 1999! They (RIT) is booming like crazy.

So this apartment has to do with NTID? Nope, it is somewhat too far, too far for walking distance so it doesn't make sense if it were for NTID.
Never been there, just looks like dorms from the video, heh.

Me too!....Personally, I wouldn't want to live there...(don't like the floor plan)...walking in the front door and seeing the kitchen sink?...Nah!...:giggle: And they are small....anyway....As with all apartments, there is gonna be complaints about the tenants...whether it's the noises, dogs barking, theft...list goes on and on.

Would it make more sense to have the deaf all on one floor and the HOH and hearing on another floor? Feel sure the HOH and hearing would minimize the noise they make....since deafies don't realize it? Then again, there's the loud music that a lot of hearies play....

Kim Rock complained she was given 10 days to stop making so much noise...and her grandkids (it seems) were the ones doing it...or she would be given 30 days to move....:hmm:

I had 3 grandkids and never got a complaint about too much noise, never been threatened with eviction and I'm totally deaf.

I am not sure about seperation by floors by their hearing ability... Although have deaf on bottom floor and hoh on top floor may make things easier.

It is sad that people cannot be more understanding that deaf do not know how much noise is made by their pets, kids, or even by their self... I own my own home so it is a situation that I am not familiar with.

As for music that hearies play.. Well they can do it all day and it does not bother me... One that worries me is gun shots or arguments... I am not aware of them so I do not know if someone is getting fistiey...

I have not had complaints either... But again, I live in a home not an apartment...

Neat. Seth must be TOO busy at traveling from NYC then Rochester in a few days.. Seth looks GREAT that I saw him last Saturday. LOL!

Back