I can't always lip-read you, and please stop shouting

I guess the same thing can be said about people not being nice online too what is the point of that ?? HUH??? No , you can't always move on when you're
making a phone call , you're stuck with that person and if they keep yelling at you after being told it's painful you can' help but think they don't care .

Why don't you ask this to some other people that are rude on line all the time one person even bragged about how rude she is ! And she get away with it !!!

Last edited:
I guess the same thing can be said about people not being nice online too what is the point of that ?? HUH??? No , you can't always move on when you're
making a phone call , you're stuck with that person and if they keep yelling at you after being told it's painful you can' help but think they don't care .
Well yeah, it is kind of the same online. If you are nice to people, you don't end up having to ignore most of the forum because you are afraid they won't just sit there and take your vitriol.

I've told people over phone I'm HoH & to please speak a little slower for me. I have had some wonderful people comply & some rude ones who won't or talk too loud; mistaking louder for clearer. Since many customer service reps are located in other countries & I have trouble with heavy(ier) accents I've pretty much resorted to having my husband make those calls. There are only so many times I can say "I'm sorry could you please repeat that?" before I start to feel like a broken record.

I guess people can't even be nice these days. But seriously shouting or even to get back at them by saying "do you like that?" will not solve anything. If the other end people will not listen or respect your request... all you can do is hang up and move on. What's the point to be mean on the phone?

Yeah. I would LOVE to shout "Ignorant audist !" and slap the face with a glove, but heck, we live in modern times.

I sympathise. I LOATHE using the telephone and even a simple conversation can reduce me to tears of sad frustration. Its one of the very few times that I feel properly disabled.... and I have the same problem in getting the people at the other end to change their way of speaking so that I can understand but it seems that every time I'm forced to use the phone for whatever reasons they seem to have the 'worst' sort of accent for me personally - ie the very gentle soft Scottish types or the indian type accents. The more clipped accents are much easier for me. German even. I will do ANYTHING to wiggle out of making a phone call or answering one but occasionally its unavoidable.

I sympathise. I LOATHE using the telephone and even a simple conversation can reduce me to tears of sad frustration. Its one of the very few times that I feel properly disabled.... and I have the same problem in getting the people at the other end to change their way of speaking so that I can understand but it seems that every time I'm forced to use the phone for whatever reasons they seem to have the 'worst' sort of accent for me personally - ie the very gentle soft Scottish types or the indian type accents. The more clipped accents are much easier for me. German even. I will do ANYTHING to wiggle out of making a phone call or answering one but occasionally its unavoidable.

Good grief. I am afraid to ask what kind of work you do.

I make my own phone calls...and if they insult me, I insult them back. Once, I called my apartment office as I needed a minor repair. The Lady said..."send us an email, we don't have time for this!"....and hung up....called back...the Lady said..."this is a business phone!...we don't take these calls!"....Soooo...my big. fat hinny (LOL) took a hike on down to the Office....Spoke my mind, cussed them out...embarrassed the whole Office.
Needless to say, they do take my phone calls since then.

Very few people who can hear fine can understand that it is clarity and for them to face us when they are talking so we can understand what they are saying, they seem to think that added volume found when they yell or that over enunciating what they are saying will do the trick and allow us to understand what they are saying better. When you tell them they need to speak slower and clearly, they will do it for the first couple of things they say and then revert to yelling and over enunciating, so these people I find it's easier to just nod my head and basically ignore them. Then there is that sub set of speakers who speak so softly or so fast that not only can we who can't hear not understand, but even those with excellent or good hearing can't understand either and I have found they will never understand what it takes in order for them to be heard.

No not at this time. Since I only recently lost most of my hearing I have been hesitate to get one. I know I do but I still don't know what all I need.

If you know ASL, then a VP is the way to go. Contact a Sorenson agent...if you don't know ASL, then a TTY would work since you just type your msg. out to a relay operator....Check that out with Independent Living...I've had both at 1 time...Wouldn't have it any other way (asking people to make my phone calls for me). Many elderly do opt for TTY when their hearing gets bad and they don't know ASL.

If you know ASL, then a VP is the way to go. Contact a Sorenson agent...if you don't know ASL, then a TTY would work since you just type your msg. out to a relay operator....Check that out with Independent Living...I've had both at 1 time...Wouldn't have it any other way (asking people to make my phone calls for me). Many elderly do opt for TTY when their hearing gets bad and they don't know ASL.

If you are willing to use your voice you don't have to type when using relay. By using what they call VCO (voice carryover) you get to use your voice to the other party on the call and the CA (call attendant = relay operator) just types what is said to you. You get to read it on the TTY.

If you are willing to use your voice you don't have to type when using relay. By using what they call VCO (voice carryover) you get to use your voice to the other party on the call and the CA (call attendant = relay operator) just types what is said to you. You get to read it on the TTY.
Sound like a close caption phone.

Sound like a close caption phone.

Have you seen a TTY? Just in case you have not here is the best example I could find in a quick search. It happens to be from a site where they are using Spanish with a Relay Service.
maxresdefault.jpg

What I have is a similar model that is chained with a regular voice phone connected to the phone line, then another length of phone cord goes from the phone to the TTY.

In the USA your state relay service can be reached by dialing 711. Unless you already have it setup in notes with the relay service, you do have to use the TTY keyboard to ask for VCO if you want it. You give the fully phone number (including Area Code) of where you are calling and when the call is connected you talk like on any call except since you can't both talk at the same time you have to say "go ahead" when you want the other person to respond. It is a live CA typing to you what is said to you not automated voice recognition.

I can tell you more details if you want. I have been using it for many years with VCO. Prefer to use my voice and have my TTY in a place that is easy to read but not easy to type on even though I have touch typed since the 1950s.

Last edited:
Back