I can't always lip-read you, and please stop shouting

Those people whom I called "Ignorant Audists", really in other word they are retarded!

When I am talking to someone on the phone and can't understand them I hate to say I am HOH , the person will end up yelling at me .
I will ask them to speak slower and they will start yelling at me . WTH! I will tell the person I said " slower" not to yell at me !
Some hearing person just don't get it !

I wish everyone understood the sign for "can hear". So many people stop talking and just mouth words to me while fumbling for something that they can write on while I frantically sign that I can hear them just fine. Then, as soon as they let me have the paper, I write down "I can hear" and they feel really silly. I've taken to just getting a person to look at me and making non-ASL signs for "I can hear": pointing to myself with my index finger, cupping my hand around the back of my ear, and nodding "yes". It's like playing charades.
I guess they aren't yelling at me at least LOL

--Soul

When I am talking to someone on the phone and can't understand them I hate to say I am HOH , the person will end up yelling at me .
I will ask them to speak slower and they will start yelling at me . WTH! I will tell the person I said " slower" not to yell at me !
Some hearing person just don't get it !

And/or sometime they don't know.

And/or sometime they don't know.
If a person is talking too fast for me I'll ask them to talk 'slower' not yell at me.
Slower and yelling are not the same thing ! I don't see what is so hard in understanding that .
If someone ask me to talk slower I don't start yelling at him ! This is what get me pissed off.
I hate to tell anyone over the phone I am hoh b/c once I saw that they blast my head off !
I can hear the person but I can't understand them but a lot of hearing people can't understand this
so they will yell at me instead .

Hmm never had that problem when I tell others I am deaf (or HOH).. I've had people over enunciate (a relative did this-- she meant well...), maybe slightly louder but almost never yell. Only once that happened (just before surgery no less...:P) but I don't recall anyone ever yelling at me over the phone.. just them being frustrated (along with me being frustrated lol).

Is that how you really feel?....well, a heads up here..."ignorant audists" most likely think we're "ignorant deafies" too....

They are ignorant, can't they understand the defination of unable to hear? Turned up volume isn't going to make difference, why can't they treat Deaf the same way they treated blind people. When average guy approach blind guy, what they do? Turn on more lights? Can't they see? Well guess need more lights. Same way with hearing loss, trying to turned up volume isn't going to make any difference too.

I have had ENOUGH of abuses and absurds from these audists, sorry I had to call them retarded because they failed to understand that hearing loss mean loss of ability to hear sound, how difficult is it to understand?

oh believe me I'm sure blind people have encountered ignorant sighted people as much as deaf have encountered ignorant hearing people. I read a couple of blogs a while ago on that very subject. Would need to search to post them but right now I need to go hunt for a new router. For some reason, the Mac keeps dropping internet more than the Window drops internet. Interestingly I discovered that I switched the Mac from ethernet connection to wifi connection- must need another cord in there somewhere (a short one from modem to Mac). Still.. probably a good idea to get a new router anyway.

(Sorry for the slight derail lol)

They are ignorant, can't they understand the defination of unable to hear? Turned up volume isn't going to make difference, why can't they treat Deaf the same way they treated blind people. When average guy approach blind guy, what they do? Turn on more lights? Can't they see? Well guess need more lights. Same way with hearing loss, trying to turned up volume isn't going to make any difference too.

I have had ENOUGH of abuses and absurds from these audists, sorry I had to call them retarded because they failed to understand that hearing loss mean loss of ability to hear sound, how difficult is it to understand?
SOME deaf, including myself, do benefit from increased volume. I imagine SOME blind people do benefit from more light.
I agree that hearies should know that all deaf don't benefit from more volume, but most are not exposed to the knowledge that there are many variations of deafness. It's up to us to educate them as we meet them.

I agree with both DeafDucky and LoveBlue. There are varying degrees as to who benefits from what, whether it be volume, or light, or even other forms of access like wheelchair-accessible, etc. Never would I call someone retarded. I've been called enough negative names to know what that feels like, and I won't do the same to others.

AC <I've been called plenty of what might be the same names> and Loveblue:thumb:

Initially I just posted the above....it didn't seem useful for me to reply to the statement regarding lipreading as my hearing level is audiologically "mild" and it seemed....making light of the original intent<regarding lipreading and volume>, somehow, to put my thoughts in.
But, I guess in the interest of not hijacking the thread, guess I will I will just write that for me, for obvious reasons, louder volume -can- help. But, even then - I've noticed that even turning the tv up louder, for example, sometimes doesn't help - they're just mumbling - louder.

and also what may be for obvious reasons, I pretty much have no speech reading skills.

Last edited:
My speech discrimination has got worst , I will be able to hear a person but have trouble understanding some words. Most people keep repeating the words and yell
at me while doing this . I had a friend that did this all the time and I had told her numbers of times this doesn't help . She need to use another word or just forget it.
This happen a lot on the phone and I will yell back at the person and ask how do they like it !

Last edited:
This happen a lot on the phone and I will yell back at the person and ask how do they like it ! I hate making phone calls to people I don't know for this reason .

But it's not THEIR fault you can't understand them. This doesn't make them retarded. You may need to choose how much you want to answer the phone if you think there's a chance you won't understand what they say. I answer my phone 0%. I only text or email. The whole "how do they like it!" really isn't helpful if they don't get you don't understand them, without explaining why. And you should look into online options for making phone calls - like can you schedule a doctor's appointment online, etc.?

These days I use my cell phone for voice calls maybe .000001% of the time lol. I do use VCO and can hear the caller's voice when I use VRS- helps to have the two together for me. Speech understanding has never been super anyway.

Yelling at the other person and saying "how do you like that?!!!!!" just sets back everything in how people perceive deaf and HOH people so thank you for that *cough* and it's rude. Not a very good way to educate anyone about speaking with /working with deaf/HOH. All you have to say is "could you rephrase that please?"

I guess people can't even be nice these days. But seriously shouting or even to get back at them by saying "do you like that?" will not solve anything. If the other end people will not listen or respect your request... all you can do is hang up and move on. What's the point to be mean on the phone?

Back