I am so mad!

NEWIDME

Reaction score
My kids have been going to family video to get free movies. Now, it's been years since I've rented. Now I know why I haven't rented - - the f'ing video's are always cc'd. I got '20 years later' last night and it was not cc'd AND the subtitles were in freakin spanish!!! My god! Now I am not renting no more cuz this kind of stuff really messes w/ my mind/mood. I really don't think it's my tv and it's not my dvd player which is a portable and is new. The tv is newer, under 5 yrs old. I never have a problem w/ cc'd on tv show's. Just movies like 20 years later.

Just because one DVD wasn't captioned or subtitled doesn't mean you should get all upset and boycott that place.

Yes, If it isn't CC or subtitled you can tell them and they'll usually give you your money back (or if a rental place at least credit fora free rental of another movie). I've had it happen on occasions. Sometimes it's a video rental place and sometimes it's a DVD I've purchased at a store.

Most stores won't let you return DVD's. I can understand why because that would allow people to buy and return after watching it. But even if they do have that rule. Return it anyway. If they give you any attitude or won't take it back for the legitimate reason of it not being subtitles or CC. Then ask for a manager and express how upset you are. They'll give you a refund I guarantee it. They don't want to be called anything that has to do with discrimination.

Don't take advantage of this by pulling out your "Deaf card" Unnecessarily. But if it isn't CC or english subtitles. Return it. If they don't allow you then raise hell about it. Laws have been passed on this issue.

Ron Jaxon

Yes, If it isn't CC or subtitled you can tell them and they'll usually give you your money back (or if a rental place at least credit fora free rental of another movie). I've had it happen on occasions. Sometimes it's a video rental place and sometimes it's a DVD I've purchased at a store.

Most stores won't let you return DVD's. I can understand why because that would allow people to buy and return after watching it. But even if they do have that rule. Return it anyway. If they give you any attitude or won't take it back for the legitimate reason of it not being subtitles or CC. Then ask for a manager and express how upset you are. They'll give you a refund I guarantee it. They don't want to be called anything that has to do with discrimination.

Don't take advantage of this by pulling out your "Deaf card" Unnecessarily. But if it isn't CC or english subtitles. Return it. If they don't allow you then raise hell about it. Laws have been passed on this issue.

Ron Jaxon

Too late, I pulled my deaf card one too many time and I'm addicted to it. But hey, it works wonder!

I haven't been back here on this thread in a while. LOL to Jiro and PEK!

Sigh. I am still mad. I am sorry, guys, but this sort of thing really really pisses me off. I still go to the video store and rent for my kids but for me? Nah. I don't like being disappointed in that way. Even if I check the back of the box so see if it's CC'd or not, I can't handle the disappointment when it's not cc. I don't know, maybe I am making something out of nothing but I really hate not having cc, even if there are subtitles which I only tolerate. I do not enjoy subtitles.

hey, thanks for reading my thread

Ron Jaxon

that is true. I have done this several times at Blockbuster. It is BEST if you return it immediately... not several hours later or next day. :cool2:

Here's another little tip. Well maybe I shouldn't call it a tip but it's a reality of the situation.

Some DVD's will only tell you they are subtitles in different languages. For example in the "Special Features" listing on the cover of the DVD it might say, "French and Spanish Subtitles" but it won't mention if it has English or not.

When you see this then you're about to gamble because it may or may not also contain English subtitles. It may have English but doesn't list it as a "Special" feature" because they consider it a "Special feature" because it also includes foreign language subtitles as well a the English ones. So you won't know if it has English until you pop it into a player.

Here's the tip. If you run across this and it's a DVD you really do want to buy. Ask a store employee, "I'm deaf so I need CC or Subtitles. This one says it has it in other languages but it doesn't say if it has English or not. Do you know if it does?".

Now if they answer "I don't know" then ask for a manager to find out.

If they say yes it does then say, "Ok, if I buy it and it doesn't can I return it? It's useless to me with out Englsih subtitles or CC".

I'm not telling you to be a jerk about it or anything. But demand your answers and back yourself up on that. If they say it is English subtitles be sure to remember that employees name in case you find out they are wrong and have to return it. You'll be able to tell them who told you it was English subtitled and be able to verify that it's not your fault and you where told it was.

In my experience they usually are pretty helpful. I've even had them go as far as popping it in to check right there in the store. When I've had them tell me they didn't know if it had English I appreciated their honesty but I still asked to see if they can check with their manager. When the manager comes I make sure they know I'm not upset with the other employee (Because they where just being honest and there's no need to get them in trouble).

Just thought I'd share that. It's happened a few times with me. Twice they where indeed English subtitled like the employee told me they where. Once they weren't and I returned it. All I had to do was explain the situation and there was no problem (They didn't let me return but exchange).

Ron Jaxon

All I did was rent the movie, if it isn't subtitled, then I go back to the girl who thinks I'm cute and all, and I'm like :(

She's like, CRUD, get a free movie, I do this every week now because I'm a regular. Woo Woo. Free movies, but I am tired of driving to the store so I just netflix it up.

I have have had problems with some DVD's that you can't use Closed Captioning, but you have to use subtitles. With subtitles, you can't get the effects of environmental sounds or songs captioned. I think I once found a movie not captioned or subtitled that should have been. I thought that I was having a problem with my DVD, but it's really the DVD that doesn't have Closed Captioning, but it has subtitles.

From my experience, it's kind of hit and miss as to whether or not CC is available. Sometimes under Subtitles it says 'English for the Hearing-Impaired' (which chaps my ass, but that's another story for another time :D) or sometimes the DVD won't have them but the TV will, or sometimes the TV ones won't work, etc.

I wouldn't boycott the place just becase one movie doesn't have CC. It's not their fault.

Same here.. When I rent the movies and bring to my home to watch till find out no CC or Subtitles make me ARGHHHH!!!! so I watch it but sometime not watch it then later again rent movies and I look in the back to make sure if there have CC or subtitles if it yes have then bring to home and watch. Once when I look in back on DVD case that it said CC or Subtitles that yeah it have so I bring to home to watch and found out NO CC or SUBTITLES make me ARGH why it said on DVD said grrr that is so TRICKY! lol but grrrr .. wish they should have put CC or subtitles in each on DVDs of movies not even said no CC or subtitles. Must have!!! CC or Subtitles for Deaf or hard of hearing to able to read what it said on the movies. :)

I went to the Blockbuster video store last weekend to rent some movies but it is still closed. It's closed since last summer. Someone told me that it's not good business because no one rent or buy from there, that puzzled me.... Does anyone know anything about this store? :dunno:

Same here.. When I rent the movies and bring to my home to watch till find out no CC or Subtitles make me ARGHHHH!!!! so I watch it but sometime not watch it then later again rent movies and I look in the back to make sure if there have CC or subtitles if it yes have then bring to home and watch. Once when I look in back on DVD case that it said CC or Subtitles that yeah it have so I bring to home to watch and found out NO CC or SUBTITLES make me ARGH why it said on DVD said grrr that is so TRICKY! lol but grrrr .. wish they should have put CC or subtitles in each on DVDs of movies not even said no CC or subtitles. Must have!!! CC or Subtitles for Deaf or hard of hearing to able to read what it said on the movies. :)

yeah, there's something that bothers me alot! I don't like deceiving informaiton says CC/subtitles and play on DVD, none! I wish we Deafie all can have class action lawsuit to sue MPAA's off to clean up their act. I would love to fight to get 100% rental movie Subtitled in ENGLISHHHH!!!

My personal opinion on Subtitles are very important because some hearing people is trying to watch movies without sound while their spouse or kids are sleeping. Or help kids to read and understand english (that's part of reading skills they can learn while at home). For those who are using PMP (Portable Media Player), Sometime noisy environment prevent them to hear the movie sound so they can use subtitle lieu of sound.

Some Movie company do not support subtitles that pissing me off!!

Catty

I'm ashamed to say I'm just learning about this injustice.

I'm trying to figure out how to help. I think society is like I was, completely unaware. It really needs to be broadcast more as a serious Issue. Maybe some tv ads raising awareness or something.

yeah, there's something that bothers me alot! I don't like deceiving informaiton says CC/subtitles and play on DVD, none! I wish we Deafie all can have class action lawsuit to sue MPAA's off to clean up their act. I would love to fight to get 100% rental movie Subtitled in ENGLISHHHH!!!

My personal opinion on Subtitles are very important because some hearing people is trying to watch movies without sound while their spouse or kids are sleeping. Or help kids to read and understand english (that's part of reading skills they can learn while at home). For those who are using PMP (Portable Media Player), Sometime noisy environment prevent them to hear the movie sound so they can use subtitle lieu of sound.

Some Movie company do not support subtitles that pissing me off!!

Catty

If I were you, call and report it to the TV news reporter. I am sure that he/she probably will take your action. That's a suggestion.

Back