I am new to alldeaf

amylokes

Reaction score
My husband and children are all hoh. I think it is important to be able to communicate and relate to other families with hearing loss.

:welcome:, Amy. I hope you enjoy AllDeaf. :D

My husband and children are all hoh. I think it is important to be able to communicate and relate to other families with hearing loss.
Welcome! And of course!!!!!! That's why it's important for dhh kids to have a variety of choices, options, and life, social and educational experiences (both dhh specific and hearing) so they are well rounded, have the proper tools and well rounded experiences!

Welcome :wave:

Are there any Deaf schools near you? You may want to check out what programs they have to offer or perhaps looking into deaf/hh camps.

Thank you everyone. And yes social experiences with other hoh is important. My children do not know anyone else their age with hearing loss. Occasionally, we meet someone wearing hearing aids but they are usually an adult.
Amy where are you located? You may want to look into summer camps for dhh kids, if your kids have had limited exposure to other dhh kids. There's ALL kinds ranging from state school based, to religious, to traditional, to sports.....That really might be a lot of fun for your kids. Also, most kids who Sign also talk, and Deaf stuff is VERY welcoming towards HOH kids. So your kids wouldn't be in a sea of kids who only sign......It might be a great addition to their experience. https://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc-cen...l-resources-and-directories/summer-camps.html Many parents who take the plunge on stuff like this for their mostly mainstreamed/oral dhh kid are AMAZED at how much the camp changes the kid! I know how it is... Hearing parents tend to take the tack that "Oh my kid is "too hearing" and may not investigate Dhh specific stuff like camps and schools......And you could also check into Deaf Schools or programs!!! Almost all academic programs for the Deaf do offer a very hefty dose of HOH style interventions, and there are always hearing device users and many kids in those programs also speak....Might be worth it to look into.... Bet if I talked with your husband, we would have a lot of the same experiences......

Amy where are you located? You may want to look into summer camps for dhh kids, if your kids have had limited exposure to other dhh kids. There's ALL kinds ranging from state school based, to religious, to traditional, to sports.....That really might be a lot of fun for your kids. Also, most kids who Sign also talk, and Deaf stuff is VERY welcoming towards HOH kids. So your kids wouldn't be in a sea of kids who only sign......It might be a great addition to their experience. https://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc-cen...l-resources-and-directories/summer-camps.html Many parents who take the plunge on stuff like this for their mostly mainstreamed/oral dhh kid are AMAZED at how much the camp changes the kid! I know how it is... Hearing parents tend to take the tack that "Oh my kid is "too hearing" and may not investigate Dhh specific stuff like camps and schools......And you could also check into Deaf Schools or programs!!! Almost all academic programs for the Deaf do offer a very hefty dose of HOH style interventions, and there are always hearing device users and many kids in those programs also speak....Might be worth it to look into.... Bet if I talked with your husband, we would have a lot of the same experiences......
Thank you for all of the information. You are right. I know there have been times I thought my kid is too hearing for that stuff so you are right on target with where I am at. I will check into the camps and schools. I know there are a couple of deaf schools in our state but they are located on the other side of the state so I am not sure how that would work out. My daughter is actually graduating this year so she will be headed to college in the fall but our son is in 6th grade so he still has a long way to go. My husband would probably enjoy talking to you because although I witness a lot of the impact hearing loss has on him and the kids, I can not relate. I will have to introduce him to this site and show him your post.

Thank you for all of the information. You are right. I know there have been times I thought my kid is too hearing for that stuff so you are right on target with where I am at. I will check into the camps and schools. I know there are a couple of deaf schools in our state but they are located on the other side of the state so I am not sure how that would work out. My daughter is actually graduating this year so she will be headed to college in the fall but our son is in 6th grade so he still has a long way to go. My husband would probably enjoy talking to you because although I witness a lot of the impact hearing loss has on him and the kids, I can not relate. I will have to introduce him to this site and show him your post.
Oooo! Sixth grade is when things get tough for solotaire kids. Definitly look into the camps..... That would be AMAZING. I have a strong hunch that if you sent him to Deaf camp it would really help him socially!!! You probay would be all " Who are you and what did you do with my kid?" when he comes home. The difference is THAT amazing! (and yes even for "just HOH kids) Contact the schools even if they are located on the other side of the state. They may be able to give you information about regional programs (dhh programs housed at a hearing school) or other good resources/ hints/tips/tricks. Your son might be able to attend even if they are on the other side of the state, as Deaf Schools have dorms. I know that might be kind of an "iffy" set up (and I do agree if possible that kids should stay at home and go to a local specialized program) but it's still a possible option. Like maybe if he really wanted to try it, he could opt for a semester there as a dorm kid. He is old enough and the dorms are generally safe. The good dorm programs can be like a really good summer camp! Just a suggestion. Maybe then he might not have to deal with mainstream middle school/jr high, which can be tough for even hearing kids! It might be an interesting oppertunity! Basicly a good idea would be to contact your state's Deaf School and look into everything possible! Your son already has speech and hearing abilty (which is good), but maybe adding things like ASL, Cued speech specialized schooling/ other experiences could give him an edge/safety net. I know a lot of HOH (whether audilogical or functional) kids who thought they were doing OK/just fine and then they got ASL, Cued speech, deaf camp, deaf school etc added to the mix.....and they realized it really did help them! As a HOH person I think the only real difference between deaf and HOH is that HOH kids might be able to learn to talk without intense intervention. I wish parents of HOH kids didn't fall for the "kid is too hearing" thinking. ......Even kids who (when given the choice) might not find ASL helpful, still can benefit from knowing other HOH kids, or even attending school/ specialized classes or camps with other kids just like them. You might want to join http://deafchildren.org/ too for support. Hope you find a lot of great resources at your state's Deaf School!!!!!!

Back