I am new here.

Renee09

Reaction score
Hi, I am new and this is first time I have heard of this when I found this site. I am Deaf myself and would like to meet others who are Deaf or HH. I live in Arkansas in the rural country where hardly no Deaf people around. I have a Deaf son, however he is away at college. I work at a Mental Health place for adults with Mental Illness as a Supervisor. I really enjoy my job. Yes, I can talk and lip read (thanks to the many years of torture of speech therapy and auditory training when I was growing up LOL) so I work among the hearing people daily. I would love to meet other Deaf people as that is part of my culture and I miss being with my Deaf friends. Thanks!:wave:

Welcome Renee. :wave: I can already tell you will fit in just fine. Anyone who uses 'torture' and speech therapy in same sentence is fine by me. :giggle:

:welcome: to AD and I second Rebecca. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Sometime it get frustrating trying to understand and lipread what the person said. It is not too bad when you can speak even if it is not perfect speech but both lipreading and speech had tortured our frustration and that what made me mad when I had to suffer under Oral-Only program in the mainstream schools. Not only that hearing people will think that you can hear with the hearing aids or CIs if you understand them with lipreading. Hearing people never get it. **sigh** Life can be cruel for Deaf people and HOH people in the hearing world.

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:giggle: Why did I know you would say??? LOL

heheheheheeh B/c we both were deaf kids? LOL All deaf kids hate speech therapy. I found out one of my friends from college became a speech therapist and had to make the sign of the cross at her.

Back