I am mad that I have CI *sigh*

Yes a lot of people who have posted on here don't understand it.

The reason you have learned to speak well was because you got some benefit from your hearing aids and therefore your brain was stimulated to process and accept sounds. However there are many deaf children who are too deaf to get any benefit from hearing aids (like my nephew who gave up with them at age 2). So they will not hear any sound to stimulate their brain and if they cannot get a CI until they are 18 (if some people have their way) by then it will be too late because the neurons in the brain that would have gone to processing hearing will have been diverted to some other use. That is how the body works.

I know a person who was in that situation - who was too deaf to get any benefit from aids. He had a CI when they first came out in adulthood and he couldn't get any benefit at all and had to turn it off. He still has it implanted and he has moved on and is quite happy with having given it a try.

This window of opportunity concept has been supported many times over by a growing body of scientifically controlled studies but people here refuse to accept this. They know a friend or heard about someone who bucked the odds so therefore it must be possible for everyone to do it.

It reminds me of the argument that smokers often use against the many studies that have shown smoking to be harmful. "Smoking harmful? Nah! I have an uncle who smoked 30 cigarettes a day and he lived to be 85 so it must be okay."

What is considered to be too deaf? I havent met anyone who is "deafer" than me. My hearing levels in both ears are 120 db at the low pitch range and "X" "X" "X" in the high pitch range. How did I benefit from that severe of a hearing loss?

There is one student who is hard of hearing but she couldnt process the concept of spoken English so she was placed at the deaf school at the age of 3. Just this past year, at the age of 9, she is starting to learn how to speak and listen with her HAs. I think she needed a strong L1 language which was ASL for her to finally "get" it about what spoken English was all about. Now, she is alternating between using her voice to mimic the hearing staff and ASL. I was told by her speech teacher that she was finally able to follow spoken English instructions without using sign support.

Message for all hearing parents of CI candidate children

I think these are the interesting parts of your post to me. You are speaking with the perspective of someone that has "failed" with the CI and that failure then lead to feelings that you have a "machine" that was forced into your body against your will. That's natural to feel that way. We do all tend to feel negative about any process that hasn't worked for us. I know I do!

However it's impossible for parents of children to know in advance what the outcome of a potential CI and how their children are going to feel. There is someone like you with the thoughts that you have outlined above and then there are those who are really happy with themselves as deaf people with CIs and who do not feel limited. Most CI implantations on young children according to studies are at least reasonably successful and lead to good emotional wellbeing and confidence.

I think that all parents can do is to read stories like yours as well as the success stories so that they can prepare themselves for when and *if* their child does experience those feelings and use the help of therapy and counselling to help them come to terms. I underline "if" because not all of us feel like we have a "machine" in our heads - I don't even think about it to be honest. And I still feel that I am deaf too. Deafness is not an either/or thing for me. And I don't feel limited by my CI at all. I can throw myself into deaf culture if I want to and into the hearing world if I want to at different times.

We are all different and come to different feelings and conclusions. If I were to have a profoundly deaf baby one day that could not benefit at all from hearing aids I will make no assumptions. I will simply provide the tools and then let that child self determine with those tools when they are of age.

We are all different, like you say; some of us may hardly notice a CI as being foreign from our bodies, while others will even though the CI works well, such as it does for Animal_Lover.

I think the best way to answer your statement is with e-mail feedback my mother and I had recently:

My mom:

"When your dad wanted to implant you when you were a child, I didn't have a strong feeling of which way to go with that decision. What persuaded me to go along with it is the fact that we were told that your language was largely formed before 5 years of age and if you lost out on the auditory input at that crucial period, it was something that you could not recover. That your understanding of language would be affected. You were so young and had gone through such a devastating change in your life, it seemed that if we could help you in any way, that we should do our best. I prayed and prayed about it and never had a strong enough reason to have him stop the procedure. I couldn't see the future at the time and how it would turn out. It might have been the greatest help to you, but it wasn't. We - flat out - just wanted to give you anything back that might be possible."

My mom (who is hearing) had a nearly impossible decision to make. The doctors told her that without auditory input, it would be something I would not be able to recover (as in brain using sound to develop language abilities).
Understanding the nuances of how information can get distorted, I see this as an excuse doctors make up if no one knows the correct methods to help a deaf child in language development; which can possibly arrive at an inconclusive observation.

You have to observe there is a chance this could be true, and possibly why many deaf children have problems with language development. No one may know how to deal with this situation correctly... therefore as a result, you have many deaf children who have language difficulties, not to mention that researchers coming to half-truth conclusions could have been subject to prejudices. Their conclusions are still subject to bias of what is true or false. Yet look at my language development, which I think had nothing to do with CI but rather having good teachers at a pre-school that set up a new, unique kind of program for deaf pre-schoolers which was the first of its kind in the state of Oklahoma back in 1984.

My reply e-mail [addressing a question she asked me earlier. I'm answering her question directly, not accusing, so please don't misconstrue] said:

"Regarding the cochlear implant and deafness, I can see why it would be difficult to know how a deaf person would feel. The Internet wasn't in widespread use then. But were there ever any books at the library you could've read to understand about deaf people and deaf culture? Perhaps it would've covered some aspects of what deaf people think about cochlear implants, even though CIs were fairly new at the time. If I were you, I would have called around to find out if there were any deaf schools or deaf people I could talk to, so that deaf person could've referred me to other deaf people and I could've asked questions about living with deafness and how they feel about the new cochlear implant. Since it would be something the child would be stuck with permanently, I would want to make sure I got enough input from both hearing and deaf people before getting an invasive surgery procedure done. There are always two different sides to a story so do everything it takes to hear both sides before putting something into a child's skull that is not as nature intended.

It is not necessarily because I had a cochlear implant "failure" that I am against putting a CI into another human being's skull without that human's consent. Deafness is not a life-threatening condition; although it can severely affect language development so I see why that's a problem. But I believe in keeping the body pure - no piercings or tattoos, for example. I like to be clean and have no foreign objects underneath the skin. That's just part of my personality. That has to be respected in case the child grows up to have a personality like that; but things like this aren't readily observable by most people... I believe that any foreign object (except for life-threatening conditions) put into someone's body should be a choice made by that individual alone. But for language and mental development, I feel that not everything possible was checked into first (such as contacting deaf people somehow), knowing that a cochlear implant is something that can change a child's life forever. I guess someone who can think as clearly as I do about things like this is a rare occurrence, so I don't really blame you for this happening. It's just that I don't feel comfortable having something in me that isn't anatomically part of me, and was never really my own choice to begin with. Would you want a machine in your own body? What if the CI is found to be unsafe 50-80 years later, causing unknown side effects? It is risky to place too much faith in what one calls science, since research is prone to errors."

Is it worth imposing your will on a young deaf child if there is even the slightest possibility the child may turn out with a personality like mine? Yes, it can happen... Animal-Lover said the same thing... he feels the same way regarding his body being respected... and not being manipulated like an experimental guinea pig. We may see it differently than the ones who view it positively, but it's more a question of ethics - and the thought of "be happy with what you have, your parents did it out of love" still bears the problem of the ethics of putting a foreign object under a child's skin, that the child could potentially not want as part of its body later on.

It's not too much different than a rape victim having a baby (which certain groups of people may call a blessing) while it was someone else's will imposed on her irreversibly, and then expecting that person to be happy and look at it as a positive thing later on. Of course this is an extreme example because the parents did it out of "love" but still, if a deaf child can feel this way, then you cannot dismiss the possibility that it could inflict heavy emotional damage because someone took away from the child the opportunity to experience his/her body as nature intended. The child never had a choice in the matter. The CI debate boils down to ethics. But if there is the possibility, then you are better off not assuming the child won't see it that way.

This is a message for future generations of hearing parents who consider getting CI's for their children. I have forgiven my mom and moved on, but hearing parents need to be aware of how a deaf child can interpret a non-consensual CI surgery... so DON'T assume the child won't see it the way I do, as well as others successful CI users like Animal_Lover.

So many points that I will address inside your quote....
The people you talk about are almost ALL people that have never had a deaf child.!!! That changes the perspective. We listened, and we decided to go for CI.
You should listen to my daughter singing sons at the breakfast table.!!

Cloggy, I know a CI can have excellent benefits and I am glad that your daughter can sing, I'm sure it is a great thing to be able to hear.

You said that being astronaut or diving under 100 meters is a rare occurrence--indeed it is, but what if your child ever wanted to do these things? I know I did. I have gone snorkel diving, but I know that scuba diving is different. I wanted to study astrophysics at Caltech and possibly be an astronaut for NASA at one time, perhaps the first deaf astronaut.

It seems wrong to take away potential dreams, even though you are giving a child other dreams in return.

CI technology has advanced tremendously, but there's still the ethics issue of non-consenually putting a foreign object under a child's skin. I am deaf, I have a CI, yet I see it as an unwanted "machine" in my body even if you don't. What if your daughter does someday? It is a "machine" regardless of what you think, because it can communicate with an external device and its programs, through electric impulses.

It is all about ethics. You don't seem sensitive to the possibility that your child, whom you love unconditionally (or conditionally?) could ever see it the way I do. Animal_Lover has had success with his CI, yet he does not want anything foreign in his body. Mine was a failure, and I didn't want anything in my body, but I wasn't given a choice about the first CI, and I was "forced/brainwashed" to get the second one.

There are laws out there allowing the parent to do whatever he/she likes to the child's body, but ethics and laws are two different things. You say that a CI can be taken out later, but why would you want your child to go through that trouble if that child doesn't want a CI in her body? A CI surgery is an invasive surgerical procedure and any invasive surgery is traumatic on the body.

Respect her own right to make her own decision regarding foreign objects put into her body... you have evidence already present that there are CI-users who wish that their parents had given them the choice; don't ignore that evidence. It's a matter of principle and ethics because regardless of a child's success with the CI, there is still the possibility that the child will wish the parent had given him/her a choice.

What is considered to be too deaf? I havent met anyone who is "deafer" than me. My hearing levels in both ears are 120 db at the low pitch range and "X" "X" "X" in the high pitch range. How did I benefit from that severe of a hearing loss?

There is one student who is hard of hearing but she couldnt process the concept of spoken English so she was placed at the deaf school at the age of 3. Just this past year, at the age of 9, she is starting to learn how to speak and listen with her HAs. I think she needed a strong L1 language which was ASL for her to finally "get" it about what spoken English was all about. Now, she is alternating between using her voice to mimic the hearing staff and ASL. I was told by her speech teacher that she was finally able to follow spoken English instructions without using sign support.

Too deaf = can't hear anything. My nephew for example could not hear anything with his powerful hearing aids and stopped wearing them at about age 3. Not everyone is like ourselves and I think it's not a good idea to use ourselves as an argument about people in general. There are lots of reasons why people don't benefit from hearing aids - I've met people with smaller hearing losses than mine who claim they did nothing for them.

In regard to your student: I think you need to see my other post about how just because we know one person who has bucked the trend it doesn't mean that everyone else can. It's like using one person's oral success story to argue that everyone can be oral and we know that's not the case. I think that we need to argue with facts and refer to studies involving larger numbers of students to back what we say. Generally it has been observed that once a child has gone past the certain age it is very hard to acquire spoken language.

Too deaf = can't hear anything. My nephew for example could not hear anything with his powerful hearing aids and stopped wearing them at about age 3. Not everyone is like ourselves and I think it's not a good idea to use ourselves as an argument about people in general. There are lots of reasons why people don't benefit from hearing aids - I've met people with smaller hearing losses than mine who claim they did nothing for them.

In regard to your student: I think you need to see my other post about how just because we know one person who has bucked the trend it doesn't mean that everyone else can. It's like using one person's oral success story to argue that everyone can be oral and we know that's not the case. I think that we need to argue with facts and refer to studies involving larger numbers of students to back what we say. Generally it has been observed that once a child has gone past the certain age it is very hard to acquire spoken language.

If your child wasnt able to acquire spoken language, would that be devastating to u? Just curious.

Thanks Spock for your intelligently reasoned thoughts. It sounds like you have a very caring family who are sensitive to your feelings.

I know what you mean about "the only thing we can't do is hear" line of thinking and I know that we have role models who have certainly achieved everything that a hearing person can. However one has to be quite highly motivated and resilient to do that and many of us are just not that. The reality is that there is higher unemployment levels for deaf people and underemployment. Many of us have work in the "deaf industry", which is shrinking. It costs an extra $1M to educate deaf child through the traditional special education route. There is higher levels of mental illness among us too, which is not surprising as we are a minority and 90% of us are born into hearing families. Worse - we are getting fewer in number. The numbers of deaf babies being born have dropped quite significantly due to medical advances and decreased fertility rates in general.
What I am saying is that I believe that it doesn't hurt to be pragmatic, to honestly recognise difficulties and not be afraid to grow by adapting. society is not going to do it for us and the power base is shrinking due to dropping numbers.

At the end of the day I still come back to it. I think that while parents should educate ourselves about the opinions of all different outcomes I don't think it should be *the* only factor in a parent's decision making process. You probably don't either. As we have seen on this board there is a wide variation in opinion and experience. Moreover, I believe the number of deaf people actually involved in the culture itself is a minority, so that has to be considered too.

Another factor to consider is that the body of opinion in any culture changes over time and does not stand still. At the time that your parents' would have implanted you the opinion in deaf culture against implants was how can we put it extremely opposed. Since then people have moderated their views, realising that CIs are here to stay and policy statements have been changed. What will be the situation in 20 years time? Should parents base their decisions based on the opinions of here and today when by the time the child is an adult everyone could have moved on?

Take hearing aids - when they first came out in the 1940s people were deeply opposed to them. Today they are accepted and not seen as something that threatens deaf culture or turn you into robots or whatever. It seems to me that there is a similar pattern with CIs. I think that with a carefully thought out approach combining a CI (only if appropriate for that child) and exposure to other deaf people and language - what could be wrong with that?

I'm glad you posted because I do think it's important for parents today to read about a wide range of experiences and feelings. But again what is one man's medicine is another man's poison.

If your child wasnt able to acquire spoken language, would that be devastating to u? Just curious.

Not "devastating" but I'd feel that he or she would have more choices and opportunities by being able to speak as well as sign. So I would want to try that opportunity to acquire spoken language rather than not bother at all. I'm glad for myself that I have oral skills personally - I just feel it gives me more independence and I'm the type that hates relying on people such as interpreters in the hearing world.

If it doesn't work then it's not the end of the earth. Human beings are very adaptable. It's possible for migrants for example to get around problems even when they can't speak English even though it takes a greater amount of personal effort and requires one to be highly motivated.

Not "devastating" but I'd feel that he or she would have more choices and opportunities by being able to speak as well as sign. So I would want to try that opportunity to acquire spoken language rather than not bother at all. I'm glad for myself that I have oral skills personally - I just feel it gives me more independence and I'm the type that hates relying on people such as interpreters in the hearing world.

If it doesn't work then it's not the end of the earth. Human beings are very adaptable. It's possible for migrants for example to get around problems even when they can't speak English even though it takes a greater amount of personal effort and requires one to be highly motivated.

Ok thanks. Was just wondering. :)

My parents were devastated when my brother couldnt acquire spoken language. At first, I didnt think too much about it cuz I was a child but then after learning about the issues of deaf education, I asked my mom again about it. She said that it meant that they would never be able to communicate with my brother. I told her that she can learn sign language. She said at first, the doctors told her that it would interfere with our learning process and be able to adapt to the hearing world so she never tried. Now, she regrets it. Thought that was interesting..I guess we will always have our regrets or "what ifs" in our lives.

*excuse me for my bad spelling tonight but I have an allergy reaction and my head is all stuffy*

Uh, doctors don't make a lot of money from CIs. Research shows that many of them do CIs at a loss. Have a look at What Does Health Insurance Pay for Cochlear Implants? for reference to studies.

The reason why the medical profession pushes CIs so much is because on the whole, when you take into account everyone that is implanted even the "failures", it saves society money. Animal lover might have rejected the CI emotionally but he obviously learned to talk with it.

oh of course not .. but the hospitals or even insurance companies pressure doctors to convince everyone the CI is an 100 miracle. Doctors tend to focus on "cure" thingies.

oh of course not .. but the hospitals or even insurance companies pressure doctors to convince everyone the CI is an 100 miracle. Doctors tend to focus on "cure" thingies.
Really? That wasn't my experience when I went to UNC to see if I could be a candidate.

It seems wrong to take away potential dreams, even though you are giving a child other dreams in return.

It is all about ethics. You don't seem sensitive to the possibility that your child, whom you love unconditionally (or conditionally?) could ever see it the way I do. ........................
Unconditionally. Assuming anything else could be regarded as an insult....

But you say "..could ever see it the way I do.".. can I really. Of course not. For that I would have to have CI that does not work in my head.

Can you ever see the way I do... Of course not. You would have to be hearing and be the parent of a deaf child.

Can you imagine NOT implanting the child, and getting the question 16 years later: "WHY did you not do that for me when I was small.... Now it's too late!!

You assume too much only 1 outcome... Based on your experience. Fair enough... but still your focus is on failure and rejection.
Our focus is on success and acceptence....

Feel the difference??

Ok thanks. Was just wondering. :)

My parents were devastated when my brother couldnt acquire spoken language. At first, I didnt think too much about it cuz I was a child but then after learning about the issues of deaf education, I asked my mom again about it. She said that it meant that they would never be able to communicate with my brother. I told her that she can learn sign language. She said at first, the doctors told her that it would interfere with our learning process and be able to adapt to the hearing world so she never tried. Now, she regrets it. Thought that was interesting..I guess we will always have our regrets or "what ifs" in our lives.

*excuse me for my bad spelling tonight but I have an allergy reaction and my head is all stuffy*

My mother learned to sign when she was 60 so it's never too late! So at the moment your mum can't communicate with your brother? That must be tough on both her and your brother.

I didn't know this was a win or lose situation here..

When I say "win" I mean in terms of being acceptable to many deaf people because we have CIs - not this thread itself. In regard to the thread I agree with you. It would be nice in this thread and others if we learn from each other's different opinions, politely comment on them and just accept that they are different opinions rather than judging and generalising about the motives of parents who implant their children.

When I say "win" I mean in terms of being acceptable to many deaf people because we have CIs - not this thread itself. In regard to the thread I agree with you. It would be nice in this thread and others if we learn from each other's different opinions, politely comment on them and just accept that they are different opinions rather than judging and generalising about the motives of parents who implant their children.

Ohhh now I understand what you mean by that, Thank you R2D2 for correcting me here , also while I agree with what you said above, I wish to see more politely comments but from both sides through ;) ...

Sometimes it's good to debates on some things, cause we may learn a thing or two from each others here ya know ....

btw it's good to see you ;)

No, they don't. Have you actually gone through the evaluation process, either for yourself or for a child of yours? I suspect not - they're very careful to point out that a CI is not a guarantee of any sort!

As far as focusing on "cure thingies", again, flat wrong. Doctors focus on treatment; in some cases, this may be a cure. Far more often, however, medicine focuses on treating symptoms in order to improve the patient's quality of life - even if there is no cure.

Why are you so afraid of a different opinion? No one here is anti-CI. We are merely pointing out that there are limitations they don't work for everyone, and there are more issues to consider than simply the surgery and the level of hearing. If you are so convinced that you are correct, then differing opinions shouldn't bother you in the least. Those whohave experienced difficulty with CI have as much right to post here as those whohave had success. When you want to edit the posting of people who have had negative experience, it reminds me of the audists who didn't want to present parents with the downsides of the oral philosophy. People need to have realistic expectations, and the only way that can be accomplished is to present all sides.

I got my CI when i was 4 because my parents want me to..
till last year, I refuse to hear and use CI because I want to be 100% deaf.. so I fought my parents for 8-11months about wearing the CI..
Then I won the war from my parent but...
I still have CI thing inside my head.. I want it off..
And still blame myself because I did hear things..i still remeber the hearing noise from my past..
I dont want that..
I want the world mystery of sound to me when i am deaf..
I want to have Pure body..I mean Become Vegan when I was born and No machine sticky to my body but that hasnt happen to me..
that what i mean about Pure Body..
*sigh*

Know what... You aren't only person, Becuase I had my ci implated when i was 5 year old and it's had my dad's decidson which the doctor had been brianwashed on my dad for the money reason but again I can't stay mad at Dad for make his own decidion on me, because it's a dr who told my dad and make my dad think it will sucessful on me, In the few years, I stopped use CI becuase it's not deif working anything on me due i born very deaf due with my mother's bad habit influfence on my hearings, but again I m proud being deaf without CI.

I can agree with somebody with CI who can sucessfully when they grew up with speech thephy, didn't born deaf.. it's same idea with DeafScuba98, He can spoke in some words and he don't born deaf it will work for him with his new ci, he will able hear more and he will able to talk more. It's same thing for my best friend Jason, He had his ci implated same year with me, I failed and he passed why is that? Again becuase He have some hearing left.

who know in the much much future i can upgrade with my ci but not this moment.

We are all different, like you say; some of us may hardly notice a CI as being foreign from our bodies, while others will even though the CI works well, such as it does for Animal_Lover.

I think the best way to answer your statement is with e-mail feedback my mother and I had recently:

My mom:

"When your dad wanted to implant you when you were a child, I didn't have a strong feeling of which way to go with that decision. What persuaded me to go along with it is the fact that we were told that your language was largely formed before 5 years of age and if you lost out on the auditory input at that crucial period, it was something that you could not recover. That your understanding of language would be affected. You were so young and had gone through such a devastating change in your life, it seemed that if we could help you in any way, that we should do our best. I prayed and prayed about it and never had a strong enough reason to have him stop the procedure. I couldn't see the future at the time and how it would turn out. It might have been the greatest help to you, but it wasn't. We - flat out - just wanted to give you anything back that might be possible."

My mom (who is hearing) had a nearly impossible decision to make. The doctors told her that without auditory input, it would be something I would not be able to recover (as in brain using sound to develop language abilities).
Understanding the nuances of how information can get distorted, I see this as an excuse doctors make up if no one knows the correct methods to help a deaf child in language development; which can possibly arrive at an inconclusive observation.

You have to observe there is a chance this could be true, and possibly why many deaf children have problems with language development. No one may know how to deal with this situation correctly... therefore as a result, you have many deaf children who have language difficulties, not to mention that researchers coming to half-truth conclusions could have been subject to prejudices. Their conclusions are still subject to bias of what is true or false. Yet look at my language development, which I think had nothing to do with CI but rather having good teachers at a pre-school that set up a new, unique kind of program for deaf pre-schoolers which was the first of its kind in the state of Oklahoma back in 1984.

My reply e-mail [addressing a question she asked me earlier. I'm answering her question directly, not accusing, so please don't misconstrue] said:

"Regarding the cochlear implant and deafness, I can see why it would be difficult to know how a deaf person would feel. The Internet wasn't in widespread use then. But were there ever any books at the library you could've read to understand about deaf people and deaf culture? Perhaps it would've covered some aspects of what deaf people think about cochlear implants, even though CIs were fairly new at the time. If I were you, I would have called around to find out if there were any deaf schools or deaf people I could talk to, so that deaf person could've referred me to other deaf people and I could've asked questions about living with deafness and how they feel about the new cochlear implant. Since it would be something the child would be stuck with permanently, I would want to make sure I got enough input from both hearing and deaf people before getting an invasive surgery procedure done. There are always two different sides to a story so do everything it takes to hear both sides before putting something into a child's skull that is not as nature intended.

It is not necessarily because I had a cochlear implant "failure" that I am against putting a CI into another human being's skull without that human's consent. Deafness is not a life-threatening condition; although it can severely affect language development so I see why that's a problem. But I believe in keeping the body pure - no piercings or tattoos, for example. I like to be clean and have no foreign objects underneath the skin. That's just part of my personality. That has to be respected in case the child grows up to have a personality like that; but things like this aren't readily observable by most people... I believe that any foreign object (except for life-threatening conditions) put into someone's body should be a choice made by that individual alone. But for language and mental development, I feel that not everything possible was checked into first (such as contacting deaf people somehow), knowing that a cochlear implant is something that can change a child's life forever. I guess someone who can think as clearly as I do about things like this is a rare occurrence, so I don't really blame you for this happening. It's just that I don't feel comfortable having something in me that isn't anatomically part of me, and was never really my own choice to begin with. Would you want a machine in your own body? What if the CI is found to be unsafe 50-80 years later, causing unknown side effects? It is risky to place too much faith in what one calls science, since research is prone to errors."

Is it worth imposing your will on a young deaf child if there is even the slightest possibility the child may turn out with a personality like mine? Yes, it can happen... Animal-Lover said the same thing... he feels the same way regarding his body being respected... and not being manipulated like an experimental guinea pig. We may see it differently than the ones who view it positively, but it's more a question of ethics - and the thought of "be happy with what you have, your parents did it out of love" still bears the problem of the ethics of putting a foreign object under a child's skin, that the child could potentially not want as part of its body later on.
It's not too much different than a rape victim having a baby (which certain groups of people may call a blessing) while it was someone else's will imposed on her irreversibly, and then expecting that person to be happy and look at it as a positive thing later on. Of course this is an extreme example because the parents did it out of "love" but still, if a deaf child can feel this way, then you cannot dismiss the possibility that it could inflict heavy emotional damage because someone took away from the child the opportunity to experience his/her body as nature intended. The child never had a choice in the matter. The CI debate boils down to ethics. But if there is the possibility, then you are better off not assuming the child won't see it that way.

This is a message for future generations of hearing parents who consider getting CI's for their children. I have forgiven my mom and moved on, but hearing parents need to be aware of how a deaf child can interpret a non-consensual CI surgery... so DON'T assume the child won't see it the way I do, as well as others successful CI users like Animal_Lover.

:gpost: Yes, that is how i feel..

Back