I am curious about how one should use ADA for finding jobs...

Liza

Reaction score
... and if there is no ADA in another country where you're seeking employment.

What are the rules of thumb for a deaf person whenever seeking a full time or part time job? With ADA available to kick ass, and if there is no such ADA in a particular country to protect one's rights...

Um, I don't understand how ADA helps you find jobs. I thought ADA was only a priviledge that handicapped people have when they have needs for anything.

That's what I'm asking, Vamp-- for a rule of thumb or a set of rules.. where the involvement of ADA is concerned, AND what you can do. I dont know if you misunderstood me or if I misunderstood you-- I wasn't referring to how ADA could help us find jobs, but how we can use it to our advantage in gaining employment in a more balanced way. I'm sure some of us could read the wanted ads online or in the newspaper :) It's when once we find possibilities...

If you are referring to a more philosophical line and I'm sure it's very valid, of whether deaf people resort to a sort of double standard with the handicapped deal-- that's an entirely different thread topic, methinks.

Last edited:
Liza said:
That's what I'm asking, Vamp-- for a rule of thumb or a set of rules.. where the involvement of ADA is concerned, AND what you can do. I dont know if you misunderstood me or if I misunderstood you-- I wasn't referring to how ADA could help us find jobs, but how we can use it to our advantage in gaining employment in a more balanced way. I'm sure some of us could read the wanted ads online or in the newspaper :) It's when once we find possibilities...

If you are referring to a more philosophical line and I'm sure it's very valid, of whether deaf people resort to a sort of double standard with the handicapped deal-- that's an entirely different thread topic, methinks.
In that case, I don't think that ADA is actually responsible for helping you find a job. It's just a "law", not a business or office of any kind. Vocational rehabilitation is something a person would go to for help to find a job.

The only thing ADA does to help people find work is that it makes the entrance to employment as easily accessible to the disabled as it is to everyone else.

I've seen people try using ADA to force companies to hire them, it dont work that way any more unless you have Gloria Allred as one of your attorneys.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
The only thing ADA does to help people find work is that it makes the entrance to employment as easily accessible to the disabled as it is to everyone else.

I've seen people try using ADA to force companies to hire them, it dont work that way any more unless you have Gloria Allred as one of your attorneys.

Richard
Ditto. I'm tired of people pointing fingers and crying "ADA Violation!" whenever they aren't hired for a job or let go from a job.

I've had friends complain that they were let go because they were deaf... only to find out from their co-workers that they just didn't do their jobs.

Nesmuth said:

What about EEEO? (Equal Employment and Educational Opportunity plan)

I thought that ADA is for handicapped people who need things for their job such as a new ramp to a building, a better computer keyboard, a computer monitor for better quality, business chairs, perhaps better lights, etc. This force companies to buy good and quality items for their employees. I believe that it has nothing to do with finding a job that meet ADA.

SableC-- thanks man! My hero. :mrgreen: That is certainly helpful. Sorry about the late reply though! Been busy with the school right smack in middle of nowhere. :party:

Back