I am a hearing person, and I want to know more about the deaf community. Would this bother you?

Peachypie

Reaction score
When I was a little girl, I used to watch the news on tv with my mom, and I used to see a sign language interpreter at the very bottom left corner. I was very fascinated with her fluent moves and I became very interested in learning the sign language. I am now 22 years old and I started learning the basics of sign language a couple months ago - and stopped until now because my mind got occupied with other things, but I want to start learning again.

I don't know anyone who is deaf around me, that's why I am here. I would like to know more about the culture and make some good friends! :)

I did a little research before posting this, and I came across a couple posts which said hearing people are creepy when they want to connect/communicate with deaf people, and I started wondering if most deaf people think the same? (I'm super sorry if im being offensive, Im new to knowing about you !!!)

Well, here's a little about me.
I like books, but I'm super picky!! I reaaaallllyyyy love thriller and suspense (ah detective stuff I guess). I like to draw, and I have been working on developing my skills. I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of anime, specially adventure or action ones (hunter x hunter <3). I'm not very interested in learning new languages, although Im trying to learn a little korean since I watch korean shows, but I'm extremely interested in learning the sign language, and finally, I dream of becoming a doctor! I'm currently in my 3rd year of university [majoring in healthcare].

I would like to know about you as well! so feel free to comment or send me a message!! c:

I would recommend you to attend ASL events near your home area to make new friends instead of seeking friends online.

I would recommend you to attend ASL events near your home area to make new friends instead of seeking friends online.
Thank's for the recommendation! I have been looking around! I live in the Middle East and sign language events aren't common in my country at all. I thought of attending classes, but they're quite expensive, so communicating with people online to get an insight is much easier for now :)

When I was a little girl, I used to watch the news on tv with my mom, and I used to see a sign language interpreter at the very bottom left corner. I was very fascinated with her fluent moves and I became very interested in learning the sign language. I am now 22 years old and I started learning the basics of sign language a couple months ago - and stopped until now because my mind got occupied with other things, but I want to start learning again.

I don't know anyone who is deaf around me, that's why I am here. I would like to know more about the culture and make some good friends! :)

I did a little research before posting this, and I came across a couple posts which said hearing people are creepy when they want to connect/communicate with deaf people, and I started wondering if most deaf people think the same? (I'm super sorry if im being offensive, Im new to knowing about you !!!)

I like books, but I'm super picky!! I reaaaallllyyyy love thriller and suspense (ah detective stuff I guess). I like to draw, and I have been working on developing my skills. I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of anime, specially adventure or action ones (hunter x hunter <3). I'm not very interested in learning new languages, although Im trying to learn a little korean since I watch korean shows, but I'm extremely interested in learning the sign language, and finally, I dream of becoming a doctor! I'm currently in my 3rd year of university [majoring in healthcare].

I would like to know about you as well! so feel free to comment or send me a message!! c:
Yes,I would be willing to be your Deaf friend and teach you all the sign language that you want to know. Deaf Culture is very difficult to explain the only thing i can suggest is for you to keep learning sign language,as you learn ASL you will also learn Deaf culture at the same time. If you learn from me or from soneone else " Deaf Culture" and ASL can be all one. So please let me know what you want to do,I will look for a reply from you. Thank you and have a great day!! You can look me up on facebook and we can chat on messenger.

Yes,I would be willing to be your Deaf friend and teach you all the sign language that you want to know. Deaf Culture is very difficult to explain the only thing i can suggest is for you to keep learning sign language,as you learn ASL you will also learn Deaf culture at the same time. If you learn from me or from soneone else " Deaf Culture" and ASL can be all one. So please let me know what you want to do,I will look for a reply from you. Thank you and have a great day!! You can look me up on facebook and we can chat on messenger.
Gosh, that's reaaally nice of you!! Thank you so much.
I don't use fb, do you have skype instead? If not it's alright!!! =)

I would love to help you with your sign language.please email me at koreygeer@ymail.com and send me a friend request on facebook

Not that many are offended. Read around this site and you will learn enough to avoid the truly silly questions.

Back