Hypermobile Eardrum

Can "hypermobile eardrum" be part of "cultural deafness"? Can it "fit as nonpathological"?
Don't recall any discussion on this topics at CHS/Toronto_ Hearing Help classes?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Can "hypermobile eardrum" be part of "cultural deafness"? Can it "fit as nonpathological"?
Don't recall any discussion on this topics at CHS/Toronto_ Hearing Help classes?

I will tell you after my book gets here. Assuming I am able to understand it of course.

But I am betting I can. :wave:

But it would definitely be pathological and not part of cultural deafness.

Yes, I'm familiar with this problem. I have a hereditary connective tissue disorder and that's why I'm going deaf. Feel free to PM me. :wave:

Dr. Phil, this is related to cultural deafness in a way. Because genetic deafness exists in my family, deafness is not unexpected and not perceived as "weird," even for LD. It's just part of who I am and my life. :cool2:

Hi sallylou: Like you have the -genetic connection-father's side- to hearing loss. However it is my understanding- none of my Uncles became deaf/Deaf. I and my brother did. As I understand -none of my cousins are "deaf /Deaf". Though a few are "hearing impaired". Seems I was the first to become deaf.

We both have Cochlear Implants from Sunnybrook/Toronto. Neither of us are "cultural Deaf" at the present time. We both have the same Cochlear Implant.
My youngest brother is in the Profound classification for the last 20 years-so far not eligible for an Implant. If matters get "worst"- eg bilaterally deaf-probably would go for consideration of an Implant.

Knowing one has a "genetic connection" which may express itself in the future doesn't as such change anything. I knew as mentioned before I would "eventually become bilaterally deaf" for almost 15 years. Thus I sought info re Cochlear Implants and tried introductory ASL BEFORE I BECAME DEAF.-Dec 20/06. As the doctors said-there is no way to more exact except if MAY happen-sometime in the future.

Last edited:
It may be a recessive gene. You can track a dominant gene through the generations. Dominant hearing loss genes are rarer than recessive ones. You're lucky that you have a brother to share your experiences. Wish that I did!

My brother is younger than I am. The bulk of the implant information came from me.
So far so good.

From what I understood it meant that it was just really flexible, more so than normal- like my joints, which can be twisted into multiple, unnatural positions. Not really sure what that would do to your eardrum though...

Do you have EDS by chance ?

i also am hypermobile but i have not been told that it affects my eardrum. It makes sense as most hypermobile conditions are cause by the fibrous tissues connecting the joints to be somewhat elastic (varying in severity). Since the eardrum (i believe) is also fibrous tissue, it would make sense that it could also be effected.
*EQL*

curious.. what kind? it was recommended that i get tested for EDS but i never did..
*EQL*

Type III, we've purposefully avoided an official diagnosis as I'm in college and will have to get my own insurance soon. Having me diagnosed now would make it a pre-existing condition and consequently, me uninsureable.

Can I ask what people's experiences are of EDS related to hearing loss? I have an official diagnosis though they can't decide if htey should go for type 1 or type 3. They have never related my hearing loss to the EDS, though, it's like that is considered to be totally separate, and even when I have searched extensively for data on EDS and hearing loss all I can find is one article saying that EDS sometimes causes hearing loss, prescribe hearing aids! I'm not sure if there is a typical pattern (conductive only, mixed, usual frequencies??) or if it is usual for the loss to deteriorate over time. I know most of my friends with EDS have found their physical disabilities getting worse with time, but none of them have hearing loss so not sure what to make of the whole EDS side of things.

What type, level and pattern of loss do you have, and has your hearing continued to get worse? Do you know any articles about EDS and hearing loss?

Thanks.

Can I ask what people's experiences are of EDS related to hearing loss? I have an official diagnosis though they can't decide if htey should go for type 1 or type 3. They have never related my hearing loss to the EDS, though, it's like that is considered to be totally separate, and even when I have searched extensively for data on EDS and hearing loss all I can find is one article saying that EDS sometimes causes hearing loss, prescribe hearing aids! I'm not sure if there is a typical pattern (conductive only, mixed, usual frequencies??) or if it is usual for the loss to deteriorate over time. I know most of my friends with EDS have found their physical disabilities getting worse with time, but none of them have hearing loss so not sure what to make of the whole EDS side of things.

What type, level and pattern of loss do you have, and has your hearing continued to get worse? Do you know any articles about EDS and hearing loss?

Thanks.
ehlers dahnlos syndrome deaf - Google Search

Quite a bit in these links related to deafness and EDS>

Yeah, I searched those kinds of articles but didn't learn a lot that was of any kind of practical use.

:(

Yeah, I searched those kinds of articles but didn't learn a lot that was of any kind of practical use.

:(

Sorry. What specifically did you want to know? More than one member here has deafness and connective tissue disease.

I am sure you can get answers.

This!!

is there a typical pattern (conductive only, mixed, usual frequencies??) or if it is usual for the loss to deteriorate over time.

What type, level and pattern of loss do you have, and has your hearing continued to get worse?

And if there are any articles which scientifically detail the method by which EDS causes hearing loss, ie something you can give to an ENT or audiologist to explain in medical terms how come EDS makes you not hear very well, articles of 2-3 A4/letter sized pages concentrated specifically upon EDS-related hearing loss alone (not about EDS in general with a small reference to hearing loss, nor about hearing loss in general with small reference to EDS).

This!!

And if there are any articles which scientifically detail the method by which EDS causes hearing loss, ie something you can give to an ENT or audiologist to explain in medical terms how come EDS makes you not hear very well, articles of 2-3 A4/letter sized pages concentrated specifically upon EDS-related hearing loss alone (not about EDS in general with a small reference to hearing loss, nor about hearing loss in general with small reference to EDS).

It's a conductive loss. Hammer, anvil, stirrup loose joints.

This link is to an abstract, and you would need to pay. ENT's should be aware, it is in elementary textbooks, just for general practioners.
Otosclerosis associated with Ehlers-Danlos syndrom... [Acta Otolaryngol Suppl. 2007] - PubMed result

Also you can check Gallaudet's site, they have a large section on different causes of hearing loss.

A link to a book for purchase on Ehlers Danlos
http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Of...ook-on-Ehlers-Danlos-Syndrome/2279195&tg=info

I've never had an ENT that even heard of EDS! So if I have a mixed loss is some of that not EDS related then? What happens at my ENT appointments is they say "Haven't you ever had an MRI scan?" with some level of horror, then they don't order an MRI, and I return in 3 years to be told once again "You seriously have never had an MRI scan???!" - I think they reckon I have LVAS, and I'm not sure if that can be related to EDS, a few articles seem to mention both, but not as if they are related or causative.

And back to the well-worn:
- Does the loss get worse as you get older? (In the experience of readers)

I honestly have no idea on any of this, lol. As far as I knew my hearing loss and my EDS were totally separate things, I was curious myself when I posted. I don't know how over time will go- I'm 19, but my audi did seem to be concerned my loss may be progressive.

I'm 19, but my audi did seem to be concerned my loss may be progressive.

What type/level/pattern of loss do you have? Have you ever had an MRI related to hearing loss? DO you have any idea why they think your loss would be progressive? It's a shame they so often throw this kind of thing out there and you don't really think till you get home and you think hang on, why did she say that?

They seem to have given up trying to work out why I can't hear, they spent 7 years telling me it was glue ear and I'd grow out of it then slapped on hearing aids and said that's the problem solved then.

Back