Hypermobile Eardrum

plasticdinosaur

Reaction score
Has anyone else been told that they have a hypermobile eardrum? Most of my joints are very hypermobile, so I was not particularly surprised to hear this, but apparently it was kind of a big deal. My audi called all her med/grad students into to room to look at the computer and they did the test several times so they could see it. Is it really that big of a deal? Does anyone else have this?

Has anyone else been told that they have a hypermobile eardrum? Most of my joints are very hypermobile, so I was not particularly surprised to hear this, but apparently it was kind of a big deal. My audi called all her med/grad students into to room to look at the computer and they did the test several times so they could see it. Is it really that big of a deal? Does anyone else have this?

Thirty-eight revolve like the sun round the Earth.

I think it means you can have a little damage to the eardrum like a small hole, or it can be caused by some problem with the middle ear.

I don't think it is that uncommon. Maybe her students just had not had a chance to see it before. :dunno:

I think it means you can have a little damage to the eardrum like a small hole, or it can be caused by some problem with the middle ear.

I don't think it is that uncommon. Maybe her students just had not had a chance to see it before. :dunno:

i read it as the ear drum being able to move so much at even the slightest pressure - hence my toss-in of a messed up rap lyric.

i read it as the ear drum being able to move so much at even the slightest pressure - hence my toss-in of a messed up rap lyric.

I didn't know it was a rap lyric. I thought it was subtle humor I can't understand.

I am a little depressed by hearing that here today.

And yes the eardrum moves easily. I said the reasons why.

I didn't know it was a rap lyric. I thought it was subtle humor I can't understand.

I am a little depressed by hearing that here today.

And yes the eardrum moves easily. I said the reasons why.

ah, the reason i put a rap lyric in was the assocation of the eardrum to an ultra low bass speaker.

i think so. a speaker goes in and out, and when it's doing bass - it goes in and out much more deeper

same as an hypermobile ear drum??

That's interesting.I wonder if it would do it more if you punched a tiny hole or took out the equivalent of a little bone inside like an ear.

From what I understood it meant that it was just really flexible, more so than normal- like my joints, which can be twisted into multiple, unnatural positions. Not really sure what that would do to your eardrum though...

That's interesting.I wonder if it would do it more if you punched a tiny hole or took out the equivalent of a little bone inside like an ear.

that would usually cause complete deafness. the eardrum wouldnt be moving. it moves because of pressure applied to it from the sound waves. and when theres a rupture or a hole in it the sound waves will go through it instead of hitting it for the most part.

im not too familiar with this, but that is what i think is correct.

Possible to get an answer re:eardrums from "ENT medical text book"?

Boitesini: Prof SKY upset at the moment: raining here in Toronto! Are your herd of hounds out running around for breakfast?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

that would usually cause complete deafness. the eardrum wouldnt be moving. it moves because of pressure applied to it from the sound waves. and when theres a rupture or a hole in it the sound waves will go through it instead of hitting it for the most part.

im not too familiar with this, but that is what i think is correct.
A hole in the eardrum will not cause complete deafness but will cause hearing loss. My daughter perforated both ear drums one weekend and one of them healed, the other didn't. By the time she had the surgery to repair it, the hole had gotten so big that the ENT replaced it with a piece of skin from behind her ear. Unfortunately, that didn't "take", so once she finished growing she had the surgery again this time using a piece of the "flab" sticking up in front of her ear (guess she won't be able to use ear buds now). Her new "eardrum" does not have as much flexibility as a "real" one, but it's better than not having anything there. She still has minor hearing loss because of this.

Boitesini: Prof SKY upset at the moment: raining here in Toronto! Are your herd of hounds out running around for breakfast?

Might be. But I bet that costs a lot. I should check.

And it is melting here! My dogs (the two smallest) are on my lap, and the poodle (who is nine and cant jump) is on a fleece blanket in her travel crate.

And it is our day to buy groceries. So That is hard work and good exercise for me!

I do love the idea of an ENT textbook. I don't know much about ears either. And I should. :hmm:

Might be. But I bet that costs a lot. I should check.

And it is melting here! My dogs (the two smallest) are on my lap, and the poodle (who is nine and cant jump) is on a fleece blanket in her travel crate.

And it is our day to buy groceries. So That is hard work and good exercise for me!

I do love the idea of an ENT textbook. I don't know much about ears either. And I should. :hmm:

A follow up. I found a textbook that still sells new for $108.00, and I bought a used copy on Amazon for $3.38!

This may be the start of a new collection. :)

Bottesini: Hopefully you can decipher the medical jargon without getting "too excited"!

At last NO comment from Prof SKY- doesn't read medical books. Wise one-knows went to be silent!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated- Aug/07

I'll simply ask my father about hypermoblie ear drums as he's a a retired MD though I must admit that he never was an ENT.

Back