How to Show Deaf Communication in Comics?

Yamino

Reaction score
Hi! I posted here a very long time ago, but I'm not sure if anyone will remember me. XD

I'm working on a superhero comic set in Amsterdam, starring Sofie, a blind protagonist who can echolocate (much like Ben Underwood.) Her cousin and best friend, Emily, is deaf.

I've been struggling to find any comics with deaf characters to use as reference for how to show them communicating with sign language. I've had a lot of suggestions, but none that I think would be very easy to understand.

Do you know any comics about deaf characters, and/or have any suggestions on how to show sign language conversations in comics?​

As an extra, here are some sketches/illustrations of Emily and Sofie:
Emily_Sketckdump_by_Yamino.jpg

emilyf.jpg

emilyhorse2.jpg

Sofie_Thorne__digital_painting_by_Yamino.jpg

gaiasig.jpg

13nightingale.jpg

You can see all the other concept art for the comic here:
#nightingale-club deviantART gallery

awww hope this girl that woudl look like my girl in the future. she has few freckes on her nose and cheek, just like you drew one. Nice artwork!! Love the raspberries! haha

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like her! Any thoughts or suggestions on how to incorporate sign language into a comic? =)

Hey, that's great! Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. This is my favorite one so far:
That Deaf Guy - 03/30/2010

I'll try using something like this with a practice comic of Emily speaking sign language. I'll post them here so you can all tell me what you think! =)

Ooh a deaf character in graphic novel? Awesome.

I have been working on a comic book of my own with a main character that's deaf.

I have decided to go down this routine and of course I dunno if it's the best way to go.

What I would do with it would be picking one word out of sentence that I think is very important and draw character that sign it.

Like for example "I love you, Andros." Clearly either "love" or "Andros" would be the important ones to draw. Depending on situation, if character is very shy at admitting her love to Andros, then "love" sign would be good in her case. If she never acknowledge him, then drawing sign for "Andros" would be good.

If it's this "I...I love you, Andros." then maybe draw "I" sign to convey her nervousness.

This is how I am gonna do with my character in my comic book. :)

I hope I can get to read comic book that you are working on.

Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for, too. I'll definitely post some samples here when I have some to show, I'd love to get your feedback on it.

And please post your comic here when it's done, I'd like to read it! =)

wow that is impressive picture! I like it :D wow that is neat!

Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for, too. I'll definitely post some samples here when I have some to show, I'd love to get your feedback on it.

And please post your comic here when it's done, I'd like to read it! =)

I love your artwork, and I love comic. As a grown adult , a wife, and a mother, I still read the comics :) I remember the very first time I was reading all by myself on my own, (without people asking me to read for them) it was Charlie Brown comic from a Sunday newspaper that my dad always got. Before that, I didn't read, I just look at pictures. I think if my dad didn't buy the newspaper, I would have taken a longer time to learn to read on my own.

Comic help alot of deaf people, like myself, learn to read.

Yamino, sweet details in your art! Love that first big color print with the red background. Her eyes and smile are beautiful.

--
Deaf Comic Strips
That Deaf Guy - Comics! (my favorite)

BAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!
The hand in the cookie jar ... almost as good as Risotto's parenting comic "I felt a disturbance in the force"

Here's one. What the artist does; he draws the hands in motion, or the sign usually being the main point of the sentence/statement/context. He adds a caption explaining the context. And usually makes for a good "frame"/box/scene at a time. At least that's my first impression. Hope it helps.

SRID: Deaf Fun
Convo comic: Why some of us can

super thumbs up. i love it. definitely post updates. i'll never get tired of graphic novels...and while there are comics that feature deaf heroes, i've never seen sign.

totally impressed.

First off... thank you all for supplying me with deaf comics to read! I'm really enjoying these!

Also, as far as your comic is concerned Yamino, you defintiely have talent! Your comics are beautifully drawn! As far as signing is concerned, you could probably incorporate a lot of signing if the intention is for this to appeal just to readers who know ASL (or whichever language you intend to use). A good method would be to incorporate the use of motion blur drawing. You could do this for any signs that are basically a combination of signs. I can't draw, but I'll do my best to describe what I mean. Basically, you would draw your character almost appearing to have multiple arms, using lines to indicate the movement of her hands, and that way show her doing more complicated signs. This could let you really accomplish much more.

Also, if you have anything particularly important you want her to sign, it would probably be acceptable to show her in smaller frames signing out the entire phrase.

Also, keep in mind that if you intend to have any of this published, it is likely that any portions that are signed you may be asked to add captions to, indicating what she is saying. A sad truth, but it IS something to consider when drawing, because maybe you could do that right away if your intention is to make it into a major publication not specifically targetting the deaf community.

Back