How to know if the coil or processor needs replacing?

Hockey94

Reaction score
Hey,

So I contacted my audiologist via email regarding my N5 and she asked me to make sure if it was the coil or the peocessor that was having issues. I asked her for clarification but it was never answered (she ended up answering a different question I also had).

I know from my Freedom processor that if I had any issues with it, it would show up on the little display screen. Not sure how N5 or N6 displays errors with theirs. I don't use the remotes at all (preferred the Freedom one).

But I am certain it is the coil that needs replacing because the sound keeps cutting in and out which is what I told my audiologist.

The sad thing is I'm not eligible for an upgrade for the N5 until this summer and I really miss hearing with both ears. So am wanting to order the coil piece but just wanted to make sure 100%.

I would definitely have the coil replaced first, as that would be the cheaper solution (if it's no longer under warranty). I am not familiar with Cochlear products, but in my case (with Advanced Bionics), when sound is cutting in and out, I replace the cable on my coil first thing and that takes care of the issue. I don't know if just the cable is replaceable for Cochlear (as in it can be detached from the coil) or if you have to replace the whole coil/cable set up. But definitely get a coil replacement for sure.

I have the N6. Try changing the cable from the processor to the coil first. That is usually the first thing to go since it is so flimsy and moved around a lot.

Back