How to get enough protein?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma--I'm not getting enough protein in my diet. Here's the problem:

The main medication I take for my Parkinson's Disease is Sinemet. Sinemet's effectiveness is blocked by eating protein. I can't have any protein within one-hour of taking Sinemet. I can't take Sinemet within two hours of eating protein. I have to take Sinemet four times a day, every three hours. I take one more slow-release dose before bedtime (so five total). Therefore, there are no windows of opportunity to eat protein during the day.

The only time I can eat protein is more than one hour after my evening Sinemet dose and at least two hours before my bedtime dose. That means, from about 5:15 p.m. until 7:45 p.m.

I usually have a serving of oatmeal for breakfast and a green salad (with a little fruit in it) for lunch. I save my meat meals for evening but it feels like I'm stuffing myself heavily then. I'm thinking maybe I need a powdered protein supplement.

I work out at the fitness center three times a week, which I love. However, after my muscles get broken down, I don't think they're getting built up after because I'm not getting enough protein. I'm losing, not gaining, muscle tone.

Has anyone else faced this challenge and overcome it? If so, how?

I am in sympathy with you though my own problem is much less severe. I have bad osteoporosis and calcium does not absorb in proximity with caffeine. Which I desperately need also. So I drag through life limited to one coffee in the morning.

is there any chance of shifting your workout to 8 pm or so, while your protein is in your blood?

Maybe try high protein Slim Fast for dinner, if you can find it. I get the ones w/o low carbs/sugar. Eggs are also a source of protein and not has heavy has meat.

Whole food store worker may help you find what you need. I thanked them what I need to find and buy

Could you get your schedule to allow you to get protein in your breakfast before the first dose of the day?

I'm sorry to learn of this.
Maybe try a different tack? You may think I'm kidding, but have you considered heavy weightlifting? When you ingest the protein, do a bit of heavy weightlifting. For some reason it makes your bones stronger. Of course you will need a savvy trainer.

Now I better vamoose or you will swipe my head off.

Sorry to hear that. That sucks.

Try curcumin (turmeric). In the past, my husband is naturally skinny and lean. He tried everything to gain a pound. He focused on paleo and it worked, but he got a bit tired of eating too much protein, so he made some adjustments to his diet by adding curcumin in order to gain muscle. He noticed the big difference.

Some articles circulated in the outside lifestyle forum I saw about the connection between turmeric and Parkinson. It is supposed to alleviate inflammation and prevent clumping protein or something. They said some swear by it. I didn't read these whole articles, but I should have. Oh, well.

Good luck.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Haven't been able to get online much lately, and when I did it was by phone. When I use the phone I usually don't make replies, just simple "Likes" because it's too hard to use the keyboard on the move. :)

I am in sympathy with you though my own problem is much less severe. I have bad osteoporosis and calcium does not absorb in proximity with caffeine. Which I desperately need also. So I drag through life limited to one coffee in the morning.

is there any chance of shifting your workout to 8 pm or so, while your protein is in your blood?
I usually have just one small coffee (black) in the morning with my oatmeal. I have osteopenia, so I take calcium+D.

Sadly, I can't change the time of my workouts. It's a special program for PD people, and it's the only one in this part of my state. They have set hours for it, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon).

Maybe try high protein Slim Fast for dinner, if you can find it. I get the ones w/o low carbs/sugar. Eggs are also a source of protein and not has heavy has meat.
I do keep on hand some high-protein Ensure bottles for short-term "emergencies".

I love eggs (we're having some tonight) but I can't eat enough of them for my full protein needs. I would have to eat 10 of them per meal! I love eggs but I can't stuff that many into my belly. :lol:

Whole food store worker may help you find what you need. I thanked them what I need to find and buy
We don't have a Whole Foods store nearby but I would like to visit one some day. It's about a 45-minute drive.

Could you get your schedule to allow you to get protein in your breakfast before the first dose of the day?
The problem is, I have to take my first meds on an empty stomach, and wait one hour before eating. I can't function well that first hour at all, until the meds begin kicking in. I usually use that time to take a shower, make the bed, etc. :(

I'm sorry to learn of this.
Maybe try a different tack? You may think I'm kidding, but have you considered heavy weightlifting? When you ingest the protein, do a bit of heavy weightlifting. For some reason it makes your bones stronger. Of course you will need a savvy trainer.
Actually, you are very close to what I'm doing. At the gym, we do intensive workouts with weightlifting included. My problem is, I have so little muscle to begin with that I can't lift heavy weights yet in order to build up my strength. My body can't build the muscle tissue without more protein as building blocks. That's the vicious cycle.

I have an excellent trainer and coaches at the gym. This is the program we use:

https://rocksteadyboxing.org/about/

Today's workout included pushing the sled, doing push ups with a ball under one hand, six different boxing stations (various bags and combos), lots of jumping jacks and squats, sit ups while holding a weight plate, kettle bells, resistance bands, TRX straps, and much more. We don't just ride stationary bikes--we pedal and toss back and forth a medicine ball at the same time. On the treadmill, which is inclined, we either carry the medicine ball or walk backwards or shadow box at the same time as walking. Boxing includes speed bags, Thai bags, double-ended bags, and various shaped bags. We punch, kick, and elbow them. Each session is a completely new combination of exercises but it's always half functional training and half boxing, usually 4-6 stations of each. We push, push, PUSH! :lol:

This is the fitness center I use:

http://www.gritboxfitness.com

Now I better vamoose or you will swipe my head off.
You know I would never do that. :)

Sorry to hear that. That sucks.

Try curcumin (turmeric). In the past, my husband is naturally skinny and lean. He tried everything to gain a pound. He focused on paleo and it worked, but he got a bit tired of eating too much protein, so he made some adjustments to his diet by adding curcumin in order to gain muscle. He noticed the big difference.

Some articles circulated in the outside lifestyle forum I saw about the connection between turmeric and Parkinson. It is supposed to alleviate inflammation and prevent clumping protein or something. They said some swear by it. I didn't read these whole articles, but I should have. Oh, well.
Interesting. I'll check into the turmeric.

Good luck.
Thanks. :)

Damn Reba- you'd run circles around me... right out of the gate lol.

I have heard about the turmeric- I think a friend of mine tried it in the past- not sure if she is still using it- to help with her RA.. and said it did help a lot.

Wow, haven't looked up as to how proteins affect your medicine's effectiveness, but it sounds like you can use fast absorbing protein. 3 ways come to mind:

1 Use hydrolyzed whey, this is the most pre-digested form of the supplement.

2 Use BCAAs (branched chaun amino acids) with glutamine. These will give you the essential amino acids in a snap, less other nutrients found in food.

3 Use liquid egg whites, you can mix with any food or drink. You can't taste it, but it's texture may need some getting used to.

Hope this helps.

@Barbaro:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22211691

I found some more easier reads on it, too. I got some reading to do.
smile.png

I'm going to ask my medical team about this. Thanks for the tip.

No problem, Reba. I will check your link. Yeah, it is definitely a good idea to ask your team about it first before you consume it. It provides great benefits including fighting cancer, and help others with Alzheimer. My husband usually orders it online, because it has to be raw and organic. He also ordered empty capsules, so he can fill them himself. It's cheaper that way. You have to wear gloves before you touch turmeric. It's so stain. My husband takes it everyday. I thought I'd give it a try, but I didn't take his capsules. I drink ginger turmeric herbal tea everyday. I feel less hunger. Weird.

My husband said many bodybuilders use the combination of curcumin and black pepper to gain muscles. They have to use black pepper to help curcumin absorb easier.

I am really sorry about this dear. However, try not to stress yourself too much because it will only make the situation worse. Another way would be to maybe ty some protein powder? Protein powders are easy to measure out in terms of content. And on top of that the price/content ratio is quite good.

Back