How to get enough protein?

I have a dilemma--I'm not getting enough protein in my diet. Here's the problem:

The main medication I take for my Parkinson's Disease is Sinemet. Sinemet's effectiveness is blocked by eating protein. I can't have any protein within one-hour of taking Sinemet. I can't take Sinemet within two hours of eating protein. I have to take Sinemet four times a day, every three hours. I take one more slow-release dose before bedtime (so five total). Therefore, there are no windows of opportunity to eat protein during the day.

The only time I can eat protein is more than one hour after my evening Sinemet dose and at least two hours before my bedtime dose. That means, from about 5:15 p.m. until 7:45 p.m.

I usually have a serving of oatmeal for breakfast and a green salad (with a little fruit in it) for lunch. I save my meat meals for evening but it feels like I'm stuffing myself heavily then. I'm thinking maybe I need a powdered protein supplement.

I work out at the fitness center three times a week, which I love. However, after my muscles get broken down, I don't think they're getting built up after because I'm not getting enough protein. I'm losing, not gaining, muscle tone.

Has anyone else faced this challenge and overcome it? If so, how?

Oh wow, that's hard. :(

It looks like you could eat a huge dinner - just cook a lot of chicken, beef, pork or seafood and eat all of them as soon as you can so allow body to empty and you can take medicine 2 hours later after eat.

I hopefully that your PD progression is slow or halted and I would hate to see you go if you unable to visit this forum.

I haven't yet tried a protein powder but I think I might. I need to check out the different kinds.

Oh wow, that's hard. :(

It looks like you could eat a huge dinner - just cook a lot of chicken, beef, pork or seafood and eat all of them as soon as you can so allow body to empty and you can take medicine 2 hours later after eat.
The problem is, my tummy just doesn't have the capacity to take in a huge dinner. I've tried it, and it just makes me miserable. I feel too full and uncomfortable when I eat too much. For example, last night I had one hotdog (and bun) and about ½ cup baked beans for dinner. I drank water with it. I was full. About an hour later I had desert, one serving of Greek yogurt with half a banana sliced into it, and drinking more water. I felt bloated after that.

I hopefully that your PD progression is slow or halted and I would hate to see you go if you unable to visit this forum.
Thank you. It seems that my PD progression is slow right now. My workouts at Rock Steady boxing help a lot in managing my symptoms.

The problem is, my tummy just doesn't have the capacity to take in a huge dinner. I've tried it, and it just makes me miserable. I feel too full and uncomfortable when I eat too much. For example, last night I had one hotdog (and bun) and about ½ cup baked beans for dinner. I drank water with it. I was full. About an hour later I had desert, one serving of Greek yogurt with half a banana sliced into it, and drinking more water. I felt bloated after that.

Thank you. It seems that my PD progression is slow right now. My workouts at Rock Steady boxing help a lot in managing my symptoms.

Oh wow, it sounds like challenging to eat smaller meals with medicine. :(

I think that protein shake may better better option.

Other one way - ask a doctor to prescribe domperidone (Motilium) to speed up the stomach emptying, I probably not recommended you to take it due to heart issue, also you can't take Reglan because it could aggravate PD symptoms. It seems like out of option, beside protein shake.

Anti-heartburn medicines could slow the stomach emptying down.

You may have digestive problems that can be allieviated by identifying the foods that cause you the least difficulty, plus regular use of probiotics. It's not an easy process.

Hi Reba! I think you should try whey protein. This is a very fast absorbing protein for about 30 minutes so your body is absorbed so I think it will not affect the sinemet. In addition, you should try protein from plants such as beans ...Wish you success.

Hi Reba! I think you should try whey protein. This is a very fast absorbing protein for about 30 minutes so your body is absorbed so I think it will not affect the sinemet. In addition, you should try protein from plants such as beans ...Wish you success.
Thank you. I'm still researching. Trying to mesh all this with bad heartburn, too. :( I like beans but they don't like me (gas). :)

Thank you. I'm still researching. Trying to mesh all this with bad heartburn, too. :( I like beans but they don't like me (gas). :)

Sorry about your heartburn. Sometimes I get them, but I've found that a spoonful of baking soda mixed in a small glass of water works for me. (My doc assures me it is harmless.)

Sorry about your heartburn. Sometimes I get them, but I've found that a spoonful of baking soda mixed in a small glass of water works for me. (My doc assures me it is harmless.)
I've heard that, too. Problem is, mine is 24/7, so that might be a lot of baking soda. Sometimes I use Tums, which is not so bad tasting.

I've heard that, too. Problem is, mine is 24/7, so that might be a lot of baking soda. Sometimes I use Tums, which is not so bad tasting.

Sorry to hear that. Remember the old toothpastes? My grandparents told me that if it stings, just close your eyes. Hah.

Hey Reba

Last summer, new study shows Parkinson's is a partly autoimmune disorder. Recently, I was reading some articles through Autism and ADHD forum, and it made me think of your case. When it come to food, there is something else you should know about glutamate and glutamic acid. If you consume very high levels of glutamic acid in food, it is attacking your nervous system. A few years ago, there was a lab study on long cooked broth. It shows high concentration of glutamic acid. People with autoimmune disorders, ASD, ADHD, and ADD should not drink bone broth or stock. Meat stock ( it cooks for short time) is ok, but it is up to your body.

There are links you can read
https://www.seleneriverpress.com/the-dark-side-of-bone-broth/
https://www.thepaleomom.com/broth-hidden-dangers-in-a-healing-food/
http://www.biodynamicwellness.com/stock-vs-broth-confused/
https://missionheirloom.wordpress.c...u-heard-us-say-free-glutamate-and-no-vinegar/

I know there are lots of reading to do, but you can find sources there.

I spent five years lifting weights and did a lot of deep research into proteins and how the body makes use of them. I also served in the medical branch of the US Navy and I continue to study medicine.

The human body breaks protein down into amino acids. The body then uses those amino acids to build what it needs to repair bone and tissue. So, yes, it is important to get enough protein. My list of proteins includes: milk, whole eggs, white meat chicken and turkey, tuna and protein powder. More about protein powder later.

However, protein is only part of the equation.. the body also needs carbohydrates and uses these for energy. Simple carbohydrates are simple sugars. Simple sugars include: table sugar, honey, corn syrup, molasses, soft drinks, etc. I put these items in the same category as junk food.

Complex carbohydrates are sugars but also add fiber. Complex carbohydrates include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. These items are a necessity, in my opinion, and I build my diet around them.

Protein powders are great but we need to keep in mind that some companies add unnecessary proteins in an attempt to artificially elevate nitrogen count - this makes it seem that we are getting more of the necessary proteins than the powder actually provides. This practice is known as "protein spiking" or "amino spiking" and you can find more information by doing a web search for those phrases. Whole eggs are an example of a complete protein, so it's good to include eggs in a daily diet. There are two companies that make good protein powders without amino spiking: bpi Sports and Optimum Nutrition. There may be more but those are the two that I decided to use after a lot of research.

I have been eating 5 small meals on a daily basis, including 4 whole eggs per day, and my overall health is excellent. I just went through cochlear implant surgery on November 9 and my doctors said my health was excellent - they were actually curious as to how my health was as good as it is at age 54. Blood pressure: 100/72, BPM: 69, no allergies and no health problems.

My basic dietary rules:
* fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and protein
* if you can't catch it or grow it, don't eat it. (you can't catch or grow ice cream, soft drinks, candy, etc.)

Back