How to describe music to a deaf person?

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, I'm hard of hearing, not exactly deaf. In the past I have tried to describe what music is like to a deaf person but failed at it. I guess there's no real way of doing this, is there?

Anyone?

One artist I once met in New Mexico, she said that music is like painting with watercolors. For me, it does make sense and I can see what she mean by that.

My friend also jokingly said, "You know, when you consume lot of poor quality of beans, you will have lot of farts? That's what I describe what music will be."

I went to a concert with an ASL interpreter and he moves to the beat of the music. Also, some people have said that light shows are music to the eyes of the Deaf, so maybe hook up some laser lights with the CD player and see how that works out??

post deleted by author
*impossible to explain*

im fully deaf myself and is a music lover... my mom describe it as a moving art. She showed me the video where the colors moves along with the music and sometime changes into lines and everything... I was so fasinated into that thing and i understood immediately even at age 5 that it has to do with listening with ears which is something i cant do (obviously) so I think it is a moving art where u can express your emotions into a combination of sounds in such a way. She also said it is kinda like reading poems only they were being sang by people.

I understand Music has to do with sounds itself and it makes u want to dance along to it and it has to do with lot of emotions in it... but ill never understand what music truly sound like so instead of trying to describe it in correct way... why dont u just show deaf people in visual way as much as possible.. it helps most of time.

How about water fountains dancing with color lights smthg like that I don't know what it's this called.

And another one is xmas blinking lights. It looks like dancing music lights.

Last edited:
All depends on the music and the person who is listening to it. Heavy Metal, yo me, is just noise and someone screaming some words that you understand once in a while. Picture heavy metal as lots of lights flashing and trying to understand someone who is signing super fast as the lights are flashing.

Rap, well....just someone talking with a musical beat with alot of bass behind him. Not into rap either.

Techno, high energy. Lots of sythesized music, and some actual singing. Just hearing it, to me, makes me wanna dance. But, it is not my preferred type of music.

All other music...it all depends what kind of song, who is the artist, etc.

is it true that people find peace of mind when listening to music?

ive been around a lot of hearings, my friends couldnt live without it and they always had to listen music. they always looked in state of mind relaxed while listening to music. so i kind of wish that i could feel what they were feeling.

there was only one very moment for me when i could "feel" it. i was watching incubus on MTV and concentrated on closed caption while listening the sounds/words. it actually got me there. ive never felt this way ever before in my life. it kind of felt good and relaxed. i dont know, its a little hard to explain.

I noticed my mother always seem to listen to music after she gets into an agruement with my dad, and when I finally had the guts to go up to her and asked her why she always turned the record player on and sit there in the dark and listen to the music? she told me that it's give her a peace of mind and helps her relax by getting all those troubles, the worries and the anger out of her....I found that quite interesting...

And when I'm feeling sad or angry, I just sit down and listen to the music all by myself, by remembering what my mother once told me and it works, all my sadness just lift up like I was feeling like I was actually in heaven....It's may sound a bit strange but it's seem to help, I don't always do that by listening to music when I'm feeling down, sometimes I read my bible and that helps too....

It really does seem impossible to explain it; Deaf258's idea might come a little close; otherwise understanding would be on an intellectual plane and not an emotional one where people derive their love of music. Music pros possesses both......heck, I don't know....

Back