How many deafies here know languages besides English and ASL?

I speak English, ASL and Romanian. :P

Just few Spanish, French words..

I just speak English and some Spanish. Enough to hold a decent conversation but far from fluent. My written level is wayyyyy higher than spoken for obvious reasons since I'm hearing impaired and have auditory processing disorder.

Once I got mistaken for a native Spanish speaker in an IRC channel on a Spanish speaking server. When I told them I was Australian and to verify that by looking at my IP address they kicked me out :lol:

I just speak English and some Spanish. Enough to hold a decent conversation but far from fluent. My written level is wayyyyy higher than spoken for obvious reasons since I'm hearing impaired and have auditory processing disorder.

Once I got mistaken for a native Spanish speaker in an IRC channel on a Spanish speaking server. When I told them I was Australian and to verify that by looking at my IP address they kicked me out :lol:

Will you please omit the word "hearing impaired", please. I hate that word. Just say "since I'm deaf or (if you prefer) hard of hearing".

Well that killed the thread. Sorry I didn't mean any offense by the word. I'm so accustomed to hearing and using it that I didn't even think about it.

You didn't kill the thread. It just died out on it's own. Threads do not go on forever.

Will you please omit the word "hearing impaired", please. I hate that word. Just say "since I'm deaf or (if you prefer) hard of hearing".

Please realize that not everyone agrees with you! I hate the terms deafie and hearie but have learned that is not going to change their use here.

Aside from English, I know French fluently and Spanish passably :) I love languages!

Danes are awesome chicks. All night wee things too
Loved Amsterdam
Those space cakes almost made me hear again
Wild

Lithuanian, English, ASL, and Latin, though I haven't bothered to read in it in a few years since I moved and it's probably going to be really tough. I'm learning German for my husband. He knows Lithuanian, English, ASL, German, and Russian, he can understand French and a bit of Farsi and Arabic.

I know malay language and english language. And only few signs in asl.

Do you know anything about Malay sign language
What do deafies in maylasia use

Do you know anything about Malay sign language
What do deafies in maylasia use

In malaysia we use MySL (Malaysian Sign Language) . I don't know anything in MySL, I'm raised oral. I talk and go to school with hearing friends, I don't even have a deaf friend.

I know German and German Sign Language, English and a poor portion of ASL, a little bit of French (what's left from studying it for five years) and that's about it.

I'm fluent in English and ASL as well. I was raised in SEE/TC aka total communication at mainstream. My first exposed to ASL at Deaf camp in 1989 when I was 7 years old. I was first time to learn ASL at Deaf school in 1992. I learned ASL so quick. I'm happy with ASL in my rest of life. I had no regret for learn ASL. :)

I only know ASL and English. I do know a few words and phrases in Spanish, but that is it. I also know the BSL alphabet.

first English and French, Spanish from school days... BSL...I don't do a lot of anything these days just read watch tv

I have lost the number of the languages I have studied (Latin, Ancient Greek, Greek, Italian, Arabic, Russian, German, Spanish, Farsi, English), but as I appeared with hearing loss in my twenties I could not keep pace with those languages. I still retained my skills only in English, Greek and Italian.... by the way, my primary language is Albanian and I look forward to replace it with ASL :)

Anyway, it is really hard to preserve your skills in different languages when you lose your hearing (you can't hear the words of the songs, you cannot hear visitors/refugees, you cannot hear movies and so on and the only thing you are expected to do is reading in all these languages, that is not easy and it is time assuming...)

I studied Mandarin Chinese while I was in the Army and eventually became fluent, also took 4 years of high school Spanish and did pretty well, but nowhere near fluent because high school Spanish is really, really basic Spanish.

Back