How is that dude able to talk/communicate so well and flawlessly?

whatislife

Reaction score
This vid I just saw:

He has CI.....and I talk nothing like him. Basically I'm kind of slow when it comes to communication and sometimes I have to ask to repeat. Maybe it's because english isn't my first language? Either way, I must have a shitty CI model or shitty mapping or shitty audiologist.

I don't know.

edit: talked to my mom about it she said i lost my hearing way earlier than he did so he's able to cope with it better than i do

Last edited:
Maybe he started to go oral therapy since he was baby and it takes many years to master it

What? Deafdyke tried to help you, but you won't listen to her. :dunno:

You have different options.
1) Go to RIT or Gallaudet
2) Go talk to your counselor
3) Go to find deaf communities to meet and learn how to sign.
4) Don't act like Trump, also respect to all women
5) Throw CI in trash can and start to communicate in typing or writing
6) Focus and finish with school so you will dealt with social issues after that.
7) Go to hospital for more, more evaluation
8) Ask your school to offer CART (captioning in classes)
9) Tell to Canadian government that you have shitty education or life
10) Go to speech therapy
11) Tell us about who are you so we can help to put you in hospital
12) Go to find women on this forum

If you disrespect to women so you will have big issue for rest of your life, seriously.

Last edited:
You should be glad that you're not also blind. Ask Foxrac if you don't believe me.

Be thankful for what you CAN do.

I'll ask again, since you never answered me: Do you care about any other human beings?

If you don't care about others, why should anyone care about you?

There have always been excellent users of hearing technology. Simply b/c some people are excellent users, doesn't reflect everyone's experience.

There have always been excellent users of hearing technology. Simply b/c some people are excellent users, doesn't reflect everyone's experience.

Exactly, the man in this video is exceptional, that's rare for deaf and hard of hearing to speak perfectly.

For others, trust me, Reba is right, being blind isn't funny at all, also your life will be HARD if you are unable to drive.

Yes, absolutly perfect "like hearing" speech is VERY rare. It's possible, just very rare.

Good lord... Stop comparing yourself to every other Tom Dick and Harry out there. It doesn't do any good. My speech is...I guess better than most but I'm not always so sure lol- especially the blends but I sure as hell won't compare myself to anyone else... stopped doing that ages ago. I could whine that my ASL isn't like Marlee Matlin's or even one of my closest friends but I don't because there are many factors and while we both had similar growing up experience we each have different hearing losses and different paths post high school.

I also fall in the deaf-blind category though oddly I've never really seen myself that way (since I do drive)- it's just a different kind of deaf-blind.

Nobody is the same nor will anybody ever be perfect. No such thing so quit focusing on that- focus on what you can do and your future.

So consider this a virtual smack upside the head.

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

6) Focus and finish with school so you will dealt with social issues after that.
10) Go to speech therapy

If you disrespect to women so you will have big issue for rest of your life, seriously.

whatislife,

I added one more option - 13) consider brainstem implant in left and right ears combined, that gonna be HUGE surgery for you.

Also consider.
What you sound like to yourself isn't always what it sounds like to others.
It is normal for someone to have an accent in a second language no matter what their hearing status.

If you search this video on youtube, you can find it in captions. It is explained. He lost his vision and hearing by the time he was 10. It appears he was implanted not long after that. By that time he had developed language, so it wasn't hard for him to keep up. His hearing history and language is different than those who were born or lost hearing at a young age and implanted much later.

This vid I just saw:

He has CI.....and I talk nothing like him. Basically I'm kind of slow when it comes to communication and sometimes I have to ask to repeat. Maybe it's because english isn't my first language? Either way, I must have a shitty CI model or shitty mapping or shitty audiologist.

I don't know.

edit: talked to my mom about it she said i lost my hearing way earlier than he did so he's able to cope with it better than i do
He didn't lose his hearing until long after he had developed speech and language. The CI restored his ability to hear well. I know many deaf adults who were implanted after having typical hearing for most of their lives and their voices are very very good. It isn't about the CI, it is about the brain.

If you search this video on youtube, you can find it in captions. It is explained. He lost his vision and hearing by the time he was 10. It appears he was implanted not long after that. By that time he had developed language, so it wasn't hard for him to keep up. His hearing history and language is different than those who were born or lost hearing at a young age and implanted much later.
The video that the OP posted has CC on it. So this should answered the OP question and instead of feeling sorry for himself he should be trying to learn something from the young man in the video and not be jealous of him.

I was thinking the same thing he is a cool guy and that was so cool he got that check to help pay for his college .

10) Go to speech therapy

Nobody is whining or crying, I'm just baffled at this kid. I'll put down in responses to the "options".

Expensive, expensive, expensive. I don't know sign so I think it would be pointless to go there.

I have one at my school. She's great and understanding. Am lucky to have her.

I'm not very good with "deaf communities". I was able to connect with this lady who is losing her hearing though, she's a great woman. That was back in summer I think.

You crazy, fam. LOL

I'm not throwing an expensive tech in the trash can. All I know is that I'm just lucky to be able to speak still and understand some words with it at least.

Yeah man I'm on it, almost done graduating! My social life is fine I think, it's just a bit clumsy. I had a good social life last year though I think now it's shit again oh well it's all good tho. I actually smoked one yesterday but it was shit quality, didn't really get high with a good friend.

Been there, done that.

Yeah I stay in touch with my dis advisor I just asked for CART for guest speakers cuz last week I almost broke down mentally and emotionally so I fought to hold my tears in.

Ummmmm?

10) Go to speech therapy

Expensive, expensive, expensive. I'm fine tho I think.

You crazy, fam.

I don't have romantic life bro, it is difficult to find one though in my city, where I live, especially with my condition.

Last edited:
You should be glad that you're not also blind. Ask Foxrac if you don't believe me.

Be thankful for what you CAN do.

I'll ask again, since you never answered me: Do you care about any other human beings?

If you don't care about others, why should anyone care about you?

ya i do, why do you say that? for example im about to give this a friend of mine a gift as a token of appreciation for friendship

Back