How do you want to call 911?

marcyp06

Reaction score
This is a national survey being conducted by the FCC to see how people with disabilities want to call 9-1-1 in the future when they can use the Internet to send pictures, video, texts, as well as voice telephone calls. This is an important accessibility objective! When you need to call for help, how will you call 9-1-1? Let us know! Survey will be available until April 24, 2011.

FCC Survey

In Houston, the deaf can use direct VRI or direct TTY/TDD or 711 relay. we really don't have a problem between the 911 system and the deaf. Also, the deaf have been told that if they have GPS on their cell phone just to call 911 and stay on the line, the police will be there quickly. And this has happen to one deaf lady, police were there within 5 minutes of her using 911 on her cell phone.

In Houston, the deaf can use direct VRI or direct TTY/TDD or 711 relay. we really don't have a problem between the 911 system and the deaf. Also, the deaf have been told that if they have GPS on their cell phone just to call 911 and stay on the line, the police will be there quickly. And this has happen to one deaf lady, police were there within 5 minutes of her using 911 on her cell phone.

5 min? No, it goes up to 15 minutes to ping the track via tri-tower.

TTY via landline is much quick to track.

The above example is an exception but it all depends on where you are located. I only meant to show that if a deaf person has no way to speak to 911, then the GPS will locate a cell phone and the cops will be sent. Having a landline TTY is actually live and the deaf person can tell the operator where they are located. However, I have never know a TTY to work outside the home/business, at least not by itself. Houston has an outstanding police department when it comes to communication with the deaf and services. Many other police departments around the country are copying Houston's programs.

The above example is an exception but it all depends on where you are located. I only meant to show that if a deaf person has no way to speak to 911, then the GPS will locate a cell phone and the cops will be sent. Having a landline TTY is actually live and the deaf person can tell the operator where they are located. However, I have never know a TTY to work outside the home/business, at least not by itself. Houston has an outstanding police department when it comes to communication with the deaf and services. Many other police departments around the country are copying Houston's programs.

You're focus on city while country doesn't provide either high-speed or wireless carrier.

I was just shareing what we have so all the ADERS can compare their place with what there is. I am aware that certain area don't have equal coverage but still that would be like me keeping it quiet that Houston has over 700 movie screens as compared to another city that might have one or two. (Yes, I am aware that no city beats N.Y.C.)

There was a news article on TV about texting 911. Waterloo Iowa is a pioneer in this. (I once lived there). It would also be a good idea for other situations, say, someone hiding in a closet.

There was a news article on TV about texting 911. Waterloo Iowa is a pioneer in this. (I once lived there). It would also be a good idea for other situations, say, someone hiding in a closet.

texting provide the lacking info when someone tried texting, it have no data on where location it come from.

Some people live where there is no cell phone coverage.

thats true. I'd say the coverage gets better and better with time though. I'd rather get something improved and standardized for deaf/hoh with 911 calls now so when the coverage is available, the deaf/hoh 911 cell phone calls is automatically standardized.

UK only just released national texting to 999 to stay. They had trial for year. Glad it here to stay cos it was very successful.

Yup, or worse, they work where there is no cell phone coverage. LoL. I literally have to stick my phone out of the chicken house door to get reception. If I move the least bit to the left or right, the call gets dropped due to no service.

My friend literally loses cell service at her front door. However she is on AT&T. I am on Verizon and I don't lose service like she does.

1.) I think the metal roofing/siding on the chicken houses affects my mobile signal.

2.) She must be on AT&T's GSM service and it does not have good coverage in this area, whereas I am on Verizon's CDMA service, and I don't lose coverage as there is good coverage in this area.

As for 911, I prefer to text them. It should show up on the dispatcher's computer screen and they can text back from the computer.

Yup, or worse, they work where there is no cell phone coverage....
That's true. Some of the buildings in which I work are shielded against cell phones.

That's true. Some of the buildings in which I work are shielded against cell phones.

If they are using scramblers/jammers I believe that is a federal offense under FCC regulations. But if the building messes with cell reception due simply to it's construction (IE - all metal construction poultry houses) then there is no offense.

If they are using scramblers/jammers I believe that is a federal offense under FCC regulations. But if the building messes with cell reception due simply to it's construction (IE - all metal construction poultry houses) then there is no offense.
I believe it might be in the construction.

I don't think that FCC rule covers military buildings because of security.

You should be able if Deaf to have your phone set so there is somekind of code that tells them you are deaf or disabled. They have codes for everyone else why not //

Back