How do you sign...

keep it simple. don't think too hard. you can either just fingerspell it as "crypt" or... simply sign it like what I described above. all you gotta do is "draw a picture" and describe it.

a sign for words like grave, crypt, graveyard, etc. is pretty much same thing. you just gotta add more description to it like big house (mansion) and underground and we can easily figure out what you're trying to say. if some people are clueless, well they're clueless anyway... just like some hearing people may not have heard of the word "crypt" or never knew there's such thing like a crypt in basement :lol:

Lol yeah, good point. Thanks!

The reason I asked is b/c I was telling a friend about the old HBO show "Tales From The Crypt" (1989 to 1996) and I bought the complete set of DVDs last year - it's still my fave show along with NBC's Friends and a few others.

Jiro's explanation is good and would work.

Lol yeah, good point. Thanks!

The reason I asked is b/c I was telling a friend about the old HBO show "Tales From The Crypt" (1989 to 1996) and I bought the complete set of DVDs last year - it's still my fave show along with NBC's Friends and a few others.

ah yes. for the title of show... yea you finger-spell it... exactly as what Reba said.

What I'd do is this - "STORY(and then fingerspell T-A-L-E-S). FROM. T-H-E. GRAVE (and then fingerspell C-R-Y-P-T)." when you sign STORY, you have to mouth the word as TALES and then fingerspell it. same for CRYPT.

I know it sounds quite tedious and confusing but of course... once you get a hang of it, it's like 2nd nature. You are of course free to sign it in any way you want. What I just described above is how I do it. My friends and I are movie fanatics so that's how I learned to talk about movies in ASL. :thumb:

Mermaid? I've tried watching ASL videos about The Little Mermaid, etc but it always seems to be fingerspelled. My instructor says she doesn't know because it's not used often (which I thought she'd say). I thought maybe it could be FISH WOMAN and she says it's possible.

Mermaid? I've tried watching ASL videos about The Little Mermaid, etc but it always seems to be fingerspelled. My instructor says she doesn't know because it's not used often (which I thought she'd say). I thought maybe it could be FISH WOMAN and she says it's possible.

or make your own name sign for Mermaid if you want to get creative! :)

^ That could be FISH WOMAN. Same with a merman - FISH MAN.

Not the same as "fisherman" which in this case would be FISHING (the sign for that is throwing an imaginary fishing rod) and MAN.

Ok, so, I've seen this gloss of a sign a few times, and I'm having trouble figuring out what it means. It's "ORANGE-THROAT". I thought it could be the sign for when you express or witness an embarrassing action ("5" hand to manual "S" hand on throat)? Maybe I'm way off, but some help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

Ok, so, I've seen this gloss of a sign a few times, and I'm having trouble figuring out what it means. It's "ORANGE-THROAT". I thought it could be the sign for when you express or witness an embarrassing action ("5" hand to manual "S" hand on throat)? Maybe I'm way off, but some help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks so much. :)
The closest gloss I can think of right now is VERKLEMPT or ALL-CHOKED-UP.

It's not really ORANGE at the throat because the palm orientation is facing the throat, and the fingertip orientation is upward at the start, not sideways.

That sounds like it, but the context just isn't making sense to me. Here's an example:

ORANGE-THROAT: "Sex" - YouTube

At the end it says, "Turn on your ASL eyes and you'll notice the ASL-impaired ORANGE-THROAT themselves all the time!". Thanks, Reba!

That sounds like it, but the context just isn't making sense to me. Here's an example:

ORANGE-THROAT: "Sex" - YouTube

At the end it says, "Turn on your ASL eyes and you'll notice the ASL-impaired ORANGE-THROAT themselves all the time!". Thanks, Reba!
I clicked on your link but the video clip showed a hearing girl talking to a couple guys about girls scalping her. Is that the right video? It doesn't seem to fit your description.

Oh, no. The sign isn't being used in there, I just sent the video as an example of where I've seen the gloss "ORANGE-THROAT". The quote I wrote down was in the video's description box. If you click "show more" it appears. I'm just trying to show you as much as I can about the context of the gloss so I can figure out what this darn sign is and what it means. It's eating me alive to not know! Haha.

It's wanting to take something back or realizing you said something stupid or embarrassing. At least that's how I've seen it used. There are a lot of very descriptive signs dealing with similar feelings and I'm not sure how to explain the differences, but it's definitely along those lines.

Gloss I have always seen attached to that is EAT YOUR WORDS, like super-embarrassed, caught in the act, etc. It can also be done with the open 8 handshape that taps on the throat and means like UHHHHH.... Like getting caught doing something you shouldn't/not knowing what to say.

Yeah, if my understanding is right, I'd put it in English terms as realizing you just put your foot into your mouth. Acknowledging that you've done something embarrassing and feel uncomfortably on the spot. Like you tell your friend Sally that you can't stand Bob, and Bob overhears/sees your comment. Later, as you tell Jane the story, you would sign that Bob saw you and then you would slowly "orange throat" yourself with a guilty look on your face.

The closest gloss I can think of right now is VERKLEMPT or ALL-CHOKED-UP.

It's not really ORANGE at the throat because the palm orientation is facing the throat, and the fingertip orientation is upward at the start, not sideways.

That ORANGE at throat sign is GULP - as in being verbally defeated ("owned").

As in WHO is making the 2nd person gulp, you use the U handshape and thrust it directly at him/her - that's OUTSMART.

Hey, how do you describe time travel? As in, "so-and-so went back in time" or "so and so went back in time, then came back to the future?" Is there a standard sign for time travel? My inclination was to sign GO LONG-AGO, but is that a bad idea?

Also, how do you sign "violated?" Not like "broke a rule," but that feeling where it's like someone has invaded your boundaries to hurt you and you feel sick and upset and like they've gotten under your skin and you can't get away from them even if you can physically get away? Seems like if any language should have a word for this, ASL should.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

RandomHearie said:
Hey, how do you describe time travel? As in, "so-and-so went back in time" or "so and so went back in time, then came back to the future?" Is there a standard sign for time travel? My inclination was to sign GO LONG-AGO, but is that a bad idea?

Also, how do you sign "violated?" Not like "broke a rule," but that feeling where it's like someone has invaded your boundaries to hurt you and you feel sick and upset and like they've gotten under your skin and you can't get away from them even if you can physically get away? Seems like if any language should have a word for this, ASL should.

Both would depend on the exact context in which they were used.

For time - it depends on the context & phrase ...archaelogist digging to go back in time to discover something from a window of time would be totally different than if you said to someone "whooo , rewind! Go back to the beginning of what happened last week and start from there"

With violated, again, it depends if it's physical, emotional, pychological etc ...and again "how" etc.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Both would depend on the exact context in which they were used.

For time - it depends on the context & phrase ...archaelogist digging to go back in time to discover something from a window of time would be totally different than if you said to someone "whooo , rewind! Go back to the beginning of what happened last week and start from there"

With violated, again, it depends if it's physical, emotional, pychological etc ...and again "how" etc.

For time travel, I meant the kind that happens on Doctor Who or in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It's, say, Tuesday evening and you use some kind of sci-fi or magical device to go back to, say, Monday morning and do stuff. The kind of thing you'd have to do if you wanted to meet Abraham Lincoln.

With "violated" I was thinking it would be... well, I'm not sure I want to describe exactly what I was thinking of, so imagine how you'd feel if someone held you down and gave you a tattoo against your will. Painfully. Aside from angry and in pain, you'd also be feeling violated. You'd feel like your boundaries had been shattered and now you were left with a reminder that wouldn't go away. Is there a sign for that?

How do you sign "mortgage" - as in house mortgage? Same as LOAN?

With the little finger of the right M hand on the Index finger of the left M hand, fingers pointing in opposite directions and palms facing in, tip the hands forward. It says it's similar to the sign lend. My instructor had us buy a signing dictionary just in case we forget a sign.

In the context of a calculus course, how do you sign derivative/differentiate?

Back