How do you sign...

It's like "fine" and then the index fingers of both "d" hands tap index fingers together about in the middle.
Are you describing a PLUS/POSITIVE sign?

That's what I use. I use the MINUS/NEGATIVE sign for pessamistic.

How would you sign "obnoxious"? The closest I can think of is "rude", but that really isn't correct. Any ideas?

How would you sign "obnoxious"? The closest I can think of is "rude", but that really isn't correct. Any ideas?

of course. Obnoxious: adj {Turning the stomach} The fingertips of the curved right hand describe a continuous circle on the stomach. The signer assumes an exaggerated expression of disgust.

From Martin L Sternberg. American Sign Language Dictionary.

Also ( DISGUST, DISGUSTED, DISGUSTING ,DISPLEASED etc)

Hello,

I am in a basic sign langue class and I have a final coming up in a few days, what I need to do is to stand up in front of my class and sign a story but I have a slight issue, my professor ended up missing half of the semester so no one has the slightest idea of how to present a story in ASL and not signed english so most of us are getting help online so if someone could help me translate this story in to ASL format it would be great

My first time driving alone with my friend Sarah I was 17 and she was 15. We drove for about 4 hours on all back roads, and before we new it we where in vermont. When we turned around to head back home my car stoped, No gas.What could we do stuck in vermont with broken car? I called my parents, no answer, She called her parents, no answer. We walked around looking for a gas station we couldnt find one...So we ended up spending the night in my car playing games untill morning when my parents came to help.

Thanks to any and all in advace.

First of all, your professor has no right to expect you to do something that he didn't teach. He didn't provide a qualified substitute or make other arrangements?

You have a final in a few days and you wait until now to start? You should have been working on this presentation for weeks.

Here are some basic guidelines for story telling:

1. Identify and describe each character clearly.

2. Use lots of classifiers, expression, and body shifts.

3. Keep straight on your time line; keep your story chronological.

4. Don't match your words to signs.

5. Be more clear about where you were driving from, and for what reason.

6. Explain how your parents knew to come get you.

7. Describe/show your feelings about running out of gas, not being able to contacting your parents, having to stay in the car all night, and finally being rescued.

First of all, your professor has no right to expect you to do something that he didn't teach. He didn't provide a qualified substitute or make other arrangements?

You have a final in a few days and you wait until now to start? You should have been working on this presentation for weeks.

Here are some basic guidelines for story telling:

1. Identify and describe each character clearly.

2. Use lots of classifiers, expression, and body shifts.

3. Keep straight on your time line; keep your story chronological.

4. Don't match your words to signs.

5. Be more clear about where you were driving from, and for what reason.

6. Explain how your parents knew to come get you.

7. Describe/show your feelings about running out of gas, not being able to contacting your parents, having to stay in the car all night, and finally being rescued.

I have never had a substitute for a college class, I do have this memorised in signed english but that is not what my professor is expecting. As for waiting for the last minute my class was going to have a study session today but no one came. So would something like this be better

I just got my drivers license and me and my friend went driving around to have some fun I drove on all back roads no highways to scared. We went to vermont to see the scenic views both of us love nature. We where hearing home and my car ran out of gas. What could we do in vermont with a broken car? We where nervous we would get in trouble for not getting home. We walked searching for a gas station..both of use where scared we had no way home it was late. She called her parents no answer, I called my parents no answer. We played games in my car untill the morning when my parents call me and then came to help us.

Want to communicate through ASL

PowerON, you should teach your twin brother how to sign. :lol:
Hello. I am trying to find my way through this maze of symbols. If I guessed right, this is an answer to POwer On's powerful definition of emotions by way of ASL I am a HOH senior living in an assisted living facility and teaching Basic ASL to other HOH Seniors here who are eager to learn. I hope the fact that I am an older person does not turn everyone off. (With a little luck everyone becomes an older person eventually.) I just discovered this website and find it fascinating. I use my computer and my IPad a lot and hope to find an access to the local death community here in Northern CA. Any suggestions? I remember that when I lived in San Francisco, some people found the community by cruising clubs. That is not an option here in Eureka where I now live - and I am not into the dating scene. Too old for that. Again, any suggestions?

I have never had a substitute for a college class, I do have this memorised in signed english but that is not what my professor is expecting. As for waiting for the last minute my class was going to have a study session today but no one came. So would something like this be better

I just got my drivers license and me and my friend went driving around to have some fun I drove on all back roads no highways to scared. We went to vermont to see the scenic views both of us love nature. We where hearing home and my car ran out of gas. What could we do in vermont with a broken car? We where nervous we would get in trouble for not getting home. We walked searching for a gas station..both of use where scared we had no way home it was late. She called her parents no answer, I called my parents no answer. We played games in my car untill the morning when my parents call me and then came to help us.

So are you taking an ASL course - or a CASE/PSE course?? You mentioned that you have to "memorized in signed English" -I'm confused. Do you already know and use SEE/CASE and are taking ASL course now in order to be comfortable in SEE/CASE and ASL/PSE?

Regardless - if you are taking an ASL course - the story is expected to be told using ASL - both examples you've given of your story are ENGLISH - and not ASL at all.

For example - while in English you'd say "We went to vermont to see the scenic views both of us love nature" - in ASL you'd sign something like "US-TWO DRIVE (in the car) WHERE? VERMONT! WHY-FOR OBSERVE BEAUTIFUL NATURE (describe) - US-TWO LOVE NATURE/OUTDOORS - TRUE BEAUTIFUL - WOW!

Of course you also have to explain that you didn't take the highways or main roads - you took the side gravel etc roads etc when you talk about driving. You also have to introduce your friend, where the story starts, and TONS of other details.

The most important thing is that you HAVE to use ASL ... that means signs, space, ASL grammar (not English) and facial grammar and expressions etc.

my turn :giggle:How do you sign "exploratory" or explore as in exploratory surgery
Depends.

To whom is this being signed? A patient? A student? A friend?

What are the circumstances? A medical appointment? A classroom lecture? A casual chat?

What is the level of understanding and experience of the one to whom it's being signed? None? Moderate? A lot?

It's not a one-answer-fits-all question.

The basic concept is surgery for the purpose of opening up the body to find the source of a problem and making a diagnosis. It sometimes includes a biopsy. It is not surgery for treatment of a problem.

The signs for SURGERY and SEARCH-FOR would be included but not enough for clear meaning, especially for someone who has never before experienced this surgery.

I don't have a specific sign question but I'm curious if anyone uses Sign Savvy to self teach ASL? Is it considered an adequate tool or is there a better site for self teach?

I don't have a specific sign question but I'm curious if anyone uses Sign Savvy to self teach ASL? Is it considered an adequate tool or is there a better site for self teach?
In general, I don't recommend self teaching ASL.

I would use Signing Savvy more like a reference tool or dictionary.

I want to be sure I sign this right and I think I am but ya'll are here to provide reassurance. :hug:

Even though it is winter...:giggle:

English: Hey, let's go to the beach!

ASL: Beach? <expression of question on face to go>

Or, would it be, "Beach, go?" <expression on face to go>

I want to be sure I sign this right and I think I am but ya'll are here to provide reassurance. :hug:

Even though it is winter...:giggle:

English: Hey, let's go to the beach!

ASL: Beach? <expression of question on face to go>

Or, would it be, "Beach, go?" <expression on face to go>

I'd likely use "KNOW BEACH ? us-two GO-to!"

signing "BEACH " on it's own doesn't give any information about who/where/why/when etc and would make as much sense as saying out of the blue "CARROT?" and explecting someone to guess that you wanted some for dinner. Basically, it (BEACH?/CARROT?) would be an answer, not a question/statement.
(ie if someone said "where do you want to go today?" you could (hypothetically) answer with "BEACH ?"

If I sign, “tonight me eat spaghetti” do I need to specify that I ate it for dinner, since I used the word ‘tonight’? Or do you still have to specify, since if it's said before dinner you can assume it's what the person is having, and if it's said AFTER, you can assume they already had it? It seems kinda repititious to say "tonight dinner me eat".. so maybe... "dinner eat spaghetti" would work? What about “today me eat eggs and toast.” (How would that be signed, actually? Could you just say ‘breakfast me eat eggs and toast’? Or even 'me eat eggs and toast, breakfast.')

Are all of you facepalming right now? :( Sorry.

For "tonight I had spaghetti for dinner", I would simply sign "dinner me spaghetti". The person with whom you are signing will assume you are speaking of this evening. If you want to state that you will eat the spaghetti tomorrow or had it yesterday, make sure that you sign "yesterday" or "tomorrow" first.

For "this morning I had eggs and toast for breakfast", I would simply sign "breakfast egg toast me". And the sign for breakfast would be "eat morning".

For "let's go to the beach", I would fingerspell beach (we don't have a sign for beach in my area - in the middle of the Midwest) and then make the sign for "you and I" and then sign "let's go". The sign for "you and I" being the 2-handshape shaken between the other person and myself. Or I would sign it, "B-E-A-C-H come on". The "come on" sign always reminds me of war movies and the sargent is saying "fall out" and motioning the soldiers to move on.

What's the correct way to sign "Voice-Off?" I've seen this signed a few different ways.

- 'Voice' 'O-F-F (fingerspelled)'

- 'Voice' 'A sign similar to curious. Looks like you're turning a knob on your throat. Turning it off.'

- 'Voice' 'Gone'

Is there any particular way that is correct, or is it more just whatever you prefer in order to get your point across?

Thank You

What's the correct way to sign "Voice-Off?" I've seen this signed a few different ways.

- 'Voice' 'O-F-F (fingerspelled)'

- 'Voice' 'A sign similar to curious. Looks like you're turning a knob on your throat. Turning it off.'

- 'Voice' 'Gone'

Is there any particular way that is correct, or is it more just whatever you prefer in order to get your point across?

Thank You
The only one I've ever seen used is the second one, turning off the voice.

Back