How do you sign middle school in ASL?

sgrace

Reaction score
I am in an ASL class and I can't find how to sign middle school or junior high anywhere! Elementary.. high school, college and university even, but no middle school. Any help?

Hello, I am new to this site, and I can answer this question for you!

is the video where they show you how to sign middle school. :)

I've always signed it with the right hand to the left hand in the middle, not the palm...sort of like "one half"...but then again, I'm not fluent.

At our school (where I work) we prefix the "middle school" sign in that video with the "F" hand because the school name is Farnsworth. But I don't know how common that is for other middle schools.

At our school (where I work) we prefix the "middle school" sign in that video with the "F" hand because the school name is Farnsworth. But I don't know how common that is for other middle schools.
Usually, when I'm signing generically about middle schools, I use the MIDDLE+SCHOOL sign. If I'm signing about a particular local school I use the initials in loan-sign form, such as making a semicircle with the letters, like the way U-S-A is done. Suppose the name of the school is Charleston Middle School, it would be C-M-S, made in a slight arch, with the M being at the peak. The students identify it that way since they see "CMS" posted all over the school walls, websites, letterhead, t-shirts, etc.

I am in an ASL class and I can't find how to sign middle school or junior high anywhere! Elementary.. high school, college and university even, but no middle school. Any help?

Middle school
>
Sign for "Middle"
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi
For me, I have a hard time to explain what the sign is.
Hmm...
In front of a chest, using handshape "B" without the thumb touching on a palm, a right middle finger touches on a left palm hand.

Sign for "School".
Do you know the sign for school, right?

Junior High School
>
I have seen the sign before.

Just fingerspell "JRHS"

Sign for "college"
>
"college" American Sign Language (ASL)

Sign for "University"
>
It is as similar as the sign, but use handshape "H".

Last edited:
Usually, when I'm signing generically about middle schools, I use the MIDDLE+SCHOOL sign. If I'm signing about a particular local school I use the initials in loan-sign form, such as making a semicircle with the letters, like the way U-S-A is done. Suppose the name of the school is Charleston Middle School, it would be C-M-S, made in a slight arch, with the M being at the peak. The students identify it that way since they see "CMS" posted all over the school walls, websites, letterhead, t-shirts, etc.

That sounds just about right.

Back