How do you sign "Mean" in ASL and SEE

R

rockdrummer

I couldn't find a sign for mean. How would you sign it in SEE and ASL? As in, don't be mean.
Thanks for your help!! :ty:

mean has two meanings...

dominate hand "two" and the other hand in "five" handshapes and the dominate hand moves toward the palm of the other hand and then twist the "two" handshape two times. That is for "What do u mean?"

To be mean...this is a toughie...both hands halfway open with fingers bent and the dominant hand placed slighly above the other hand and then extend it down to pass the other hand until the other hand is slightly above the dominate hand. While moving, put them in fists with thumbs out.

I am terrible at describing ASL signs..maybe someone will do it better than me. I dont know the sign for mean in SEE..I would assume it would be the same.

Well that depends on what meaning of the sign mean that you want. If you want to explain what the meaning of a certain word is, here's the sign you want: make a 2 handshape with your dominant hand and then have the palm face your 2 handshape (make a sign for 2, BTW) then you put the 2 handshape on the palm and then move your fingers in a diagonal and then reverse diagonal pattern. It doesn't have to be precisely diagonal.

If you're talking about someone like say the late Lenoa Helmsey who reportedly was called the Queen of Mean because of her management tactices, there are several signs that may be used depending on where you live. When I lived in VA, the sign was done by curling your fingers around your chin and then you twist the fingers to the other side of your chin.

Where I live now, you sign mean by curling your fingers across both of your palms and then striking the fingers with the other hand in a downward motion.

In this area, we use the sign similar to "mean (trait)" as shown at ASLPRO.com .

Just checked out ASLPRO and I see that the sign mean (intend) is done slightly different. So is the sign for Mechanic. I think ASLPRO's way is less cumbersome than the sign I learned for mechanic.

Thanks deafskeptic. Makes it kind of tough when signs are not common. The reason I wanted to know is because my son is being mean lately and I want to tell him to stop being so mean. I've been inadvertantly signing mad-angry instead of mean. On aslpro there are two signs. One says mean-intend and the other says mean-trait. Which would be more appropriate for my situation? Thanks for your help.

Thanks deafskeptic. Makes it kind of tough when signs are not common. The reason I wanted to know is because my son is being mean lately and I want to tell him to stop being so mean. I've been inadvertantly signing mad-angry instead of mean. On aslpro there are two signs. One says mean-intend and the other says mean-trait. Which would be more appropriate for my situation? Thanks for your help.

Mean trait would be the sign you want to use. Rather than thinking in word only, think in concept. It is the concept of meaness that you want to convey, not something that you intend to do. And there is also a sign for "grouchy" that is similar to the angry sign. (Not to confuse you more!)

Back