How do YOU sign dinosaur?

marcyp06

Reaction score
I'm having an on-going debate about how to sign dinosaur. Some have learned it as a d hand bouncing up the opposite arm from hand to elbow, others have learned it as either a d hand or flattened o hand swiveling around with the elbow resting on the opposite hand. I know many things have multiple signs but for some reason this particular one has become subject of argument.

So, how do YOU sign dinosaur?

I have a very funny image of that great dinosaur debate in action.

I look forward to seeing the answers you get, bc I've learned a mix of those you describe: version A, bouncing that dinosaur up the arm but with a flattened, closed C shape, rather than a D. But I've never seen it / used it as a stand alone word, only in stories, so I may be playing the action of the story (the movement of the dinosaur) into my concept of the word itself.

I really need to learn the different common dinosaurs that are popping up in Li's books, like brontosaurus/apatosaurus, allosaurus, tyrannosaurus -- I keep getting an answer of "spell it", which doesn't quite apply when telling a story to a 4YO :). I don't think "fat dinosaur" "short dinosaur" "sharp dinosaur" "snake dinosaur" will work much longer, and definitely won't help her make the connection between the printed word on the page and what I'm signing.

I cringed when i saw the aslpro.com link.. and checked the dinosaur sign.. and cringed some more.

I absolutely hate aslpro.. True story: I actually put out a rule when I was teaching ASL for my students not to use asl pro..

Hmmm you're actually the first (or maybe second) person I've known who dislikes that site ...

I guess, in part it must depend where you live?
In my area the signs are (90%+) accurate - it was also VERY helpful for myself & my Seminary/theological college interpreters (in conjunction with a few other sites).

I wouldn't use is at a primary means of learning the language (just like I wouldn't attempt to learn English from an English dictionary)- however as a RESOURCE for people in most regions of the USA & Canada it's very helpful and suggested by most teachers etc *shrug*

i like signing savvy better than the others. And I do the flat O sign.
He uses the "D" shape in the video.

None of the three video sites uses a sign that shows the massiveness or lumbering of a dinosaur; they're all rather dainty.

It's the missing facial expressions/morphemes, "skipping" movement, and lack of context that make it look weird, to me.

I have a very funny image of that great dinosaur debate in action.

I look forward to seeing the answers you get, bc I've learned a mix of those you describe: version A, bouncing that dinosaur up the arm but with a flattened, closed C shape, rather than a D. But I've never seen it / used it as a stand alone word, only in stories, so I may be playing the action of the story (the movement of the dinosaur) into my concept of the word itself.

I really need to learn the different common dinosaurs that are popping up in Li's books, like brontosaurus/apatosaurus, allosaurus, tyrannosaurus -- I keep getting an answer of "spell it", which doesn't quite apply when telling a story to a 4YO :). I don't think "fat dinosaur" "short dinosaur" "sharp dinosaur" "snake dinosaur" will work much longer, and definitely won't help her make the connection between the printed word on the page and what I'm signing.
Maybe you could customize each DINOSAUR sign a little bit to fit the individual dinosaur.

The "fat" dinosaur with your cheeks puffed, moving in a more lumbering manner.

The "skinny" dinosaur with your face pinched, moving in a more slithery manner; use a smaller, flatter handshape.

The "short" dinosaur with your shoulders hunched forward, making small movements.

The "bumpy" dinosaur using the claw-hand classifier, palm and fingertips facing outward, representing the spiny back.

Just some ideas, you can play with.

I always roar while signing it, so I scare the bejeezus out of kids.

General dinosaur, the bouncing D.

When you get into more specifics, they tend to be on the non dominant arm. Like Brontosaurus or stegosaurus.

He uses the "D" shape in the video.

None of the three video sites uses a sign that shows the massiveness or lumbering of a dinosaur; they're all rather dainty.

It's the missing facial expressions/morphemes, "skipping" movement, and lack of context that make it look weird, to me.

I like the site enough in that most of it is pretty accurate. But the people are so devoid of expression it's odd. There is one person that looks like she's about one second short of rolling her eyes.

Question over "how to sign Dinosaur", I found the website "Handspeak" to be helpful. Many times this site offers not only a sign but CLs and variations, always explains the proper use of the sign for the context and meaning. Handspeak's version of "Dinosaur" I doesn't involve "D" or flattened "O" handshape climbing up the arm but instead reminded me of a T-Rex's arms. It uses the "3" hand shape (claw like) for both hands, thumbs touching either side of chest, palms facing each other while keeping thumbs in place "3" hands are moved up and down apart from one another in a nonsimultanious movement. It'd be easier just to check out Handspeak to see it but I'll say it reminds me of "Awkward"! I would love your feedback

Back