How do you dial 911?

Silentwolfdog

Reaction score
I know this may be a stupid question but I only know what hearing people should do. But I have TTY (no VPS or whatever it's called) and I wondered what method should I use to dial 911? Do I go through Relay or just dial it regularly and person on other side know I am using TTY? Or what?

Just curious. Thanks.

Good question. I have been wondering about that too. I heard that many 911 operators are often ignored TTY users when they called 911.

I don't have TTY anymore since I have videophone, internet, and MDA. I wish VRS or relay operators would accept 911. I think VRS should set up new system for 911 only.

Any idea?

I know this may be a stupid question but I only know what hearing people should do. But I have TTY (no VPS or whatever it's called) and I wondered what method should I use to dial 911? Do I go through Relay or just dial it regularly and person on other side know I am using TTY? Or what?

Just curious. Thanks.

See the following from the American Disabilities Act:
Access for 9-1-1 and Telephone Emergency Services under the ADA

You can either use relay or dial 911 directly, in the US.

in some area they do have tty machine but now i think they have tty software in the computer at 911 emergency center.. in my home area we do have tty software in the computer and i was able to dial 911 few times due to emergency .. i would have to press the space bar to let them know (tdd announcer) and they would hear the tone and would use the tty to communicate with me. its accurate and police officers come here fast within less than 5 minutes which is good news.. and as always 911 dispatchers stay with me online till the police officer arrive and tell me what they are doing n etc..

you can always check with your 911 dispatchers at 911 center and ask them if they have it or not.. usually they should have the software now due to ADA law.. so call them and find out, ok.. ;)

On TTD, you dail 711 for 911 all states in USA don't know about other countrys But here in USA u dail 711.
This what LMM does when she need to call 911 on her TTD. V/P same she sign need 711 orp. Then her & VRO relay whats wrong, She like this better, She can show VRO what is wrong. With TTD they can't see you.

On TTD, you dail 711 for 911 all states in USA don't know about other countrys But here in USA u dail 711.
This what LMM does when she need to call 911 on her TTD. V/P same she sign need 711 orp. Then her & VRO relay whats wrong, She like this better, She can show VRO what is wrong. With TTD they can't see you.

that's error, you don't dial 711 in USA... you dial 911 like hearing callers do

Nozobo
LMM is correct about dail 711 in her town, i won't put her town inform up. But other states inform about 711 . in LMM town on their fire truck it says Daill 711 TTD Calls
Maybe you should have ask instead of tell Me I made an error. Smile

Here's the other state inform, If need I have more states inform on this matter.
Not all states know how to use TTDS or they have manprower to use them! This why on some fire police car's will see TTY/TTD Call 711
LMM do use her TTD To make these calls. She should know what she's talking about.
Hmm would you like to see all her copy transactions to any relay calls? She saved everyone, Since she's been using TTD back in the early 1970's. smile,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency Telephone Numbers

Police, Fire and Ambulance (emergency): 911, TTY 711

Police, Fire, and Ambulance (nonemergency): 703-691-2131, TTY 703-204-2264

Poison Control: (202) 625-3333, TTY 202-362-8563

Flooding: 703-691-2131, TTY 703-204-2264

Sewer Line Breaks or Emergencies: 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498

General Information Telephone Numbers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your reply to my...Originally Posted by LMM

Oh I see, that's new to me but in Colorado you can dial 911 on TTD and tap on TTD and the 911 operator will switch from phone to TTD within seconds...

Nozobo
LMM is correct about dail 711 in her town, i won't put her town inform up. But other states inform about 711 . in LMM town on their fire truck it says Daill 711 TTD Calls
Maybe you should have ask instead of tell Me I made an error. Smile

Here's the other state inform, If need I have more states inform on this matter.
Not all states know how to use TTDS or they have manprower to use them! This why on some fire police car's will see TTY/TTD Call 711
LMM do use her TTD To make these calls. She should know what she's talking about.
Hmm would you like to see all her copy transactions to any relay calls? She saved everyone, Since she's been using TTD back in the early 1970's. smile,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency Telephone Numbers

Police, Fire and Ambulance (emergency): 911, TTY 711

Police, Fire, and Ambulance (nonemergency): 703-691-2131, TTY 703-204-2264

Poison Control: (202) 625-3333, TTY 202-362-8563

Flooding: 703-691-2131, TTY 703-204-2264

Sewer Line Breaks or Emergencies: 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498

General Information Telephone Numbers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your reply to my...Originally Posted by LMM

Sorenson set up a system to call 911, so you can use them. However they still prefer that you use a TTY if you have access because it will be faster and direct.

If you need to call 911, dial 911 on your TTY and press any keys on the tty (space bar, or whatever) it will make a sound like a TTY on the phone, and then the call will transfer to TTY 911.

Sorenson set up a system to call 911, so you can use them. However they still prefer that you use a TTY if you have access because it will be faster and direct.

If you need to call 911, dial 911 on your TTY and press any keys on the tty (space bar, or whatever) it will make a sound like a TTY on the phone, and then the call will transfer to TTY 911.

VRSterp
Thats true w/older TTD. but the newer ones make no sound, This why if your 911 system is set up to take derict calls from TTD/TTYS You should contact them, To let them know any calls from your home can be from a TTD/TTY. If they don't hear the tones they can switch you over to their TTD.
Smile
LMM have used her V/P for making ER calls to her family dr. after she had a seizure. So the VPRO can tell exaclly how hurt LMM was. LMM don't feel pain like us. when LMM gets hurt she don't feel pain, LMM will see the pain and question if she is to feel what? LMM have broken bones, If it was you or I that broke the broke we would be in so much pain. LMM just looks at it, if it's nothing. This why if she see she hurt or think it hurt she will use the V/P so the RO can explain what she/he is seeing.

RO have to relay msg's in English to the hearing party LMM is calling & RO have to relay back to LMM in ASL. PSE relay back to LMM Then, Sometimes it take LMM to respone back. Because she don't understand all PSE.
This why she rather use her V/P
Smile

Are you sure? How do the new TTY/TDDs work if not by sound?

Every tdd I see (or hear on the phone) all still have tdd tones.

Some TTY brand have built in 911 button that you can press to dial. like Superprint 80 (wide tty w/ wide printer) have built in button that you can press to dial a call, dial relay, dial 911, ect.

It's a nice feature BUT you have to be CAREFUL if you tried to tear printer paper off. MY wife accidently bumped 911 button while tearing off the paper. After she tore the paper, she saw the screen running "This is 911 how may I help you?". Yike!! she told her sorry I didn't mean to call 911 and I accidently bump the button for 911 so please cancel that. After operator hung up, few minutes later, my son ran to door and then summon my wife. She went to door. OOOHHH NOO Sorrreeeyy. Two cops were at our door. She had to explain what happened and cop waived that and smiled. Then they left. She was sooo embarrassed LOL.

911 in Kansas City area are very responsive and reply on tty if Deaf call through tty. I went to 911 center with scout groups. It was interesting and I saw TTY machines on operator's table. There are many deafie in Olathe, KS (where KSD located).

Catty

I suggest you look up the regular number (not emergency number) to the police/fire department and ask someone there if they use a TTY in the emergency call center. If they do, then you can simply call 911 with your TTY and they will switch to TTY when they hear the weird TTY sounds.

They should have TTY though.

Hi there, I guess the 911 center have a softwares, when they call 911 and tap on any TTY's keyboard, the operator's computer will detecting a TTY tones and automatically switching to TTY text mode.

just dial 911... when it answers.. use the space bars... they will trace to my house.. i did two months ago when i fell sick... i called 911 and used space bars.. and waited for amblance coming.. they did came.... took me to hospital...

911 generally has response policies for open lines/hangups. So even if you can't respond to them, as long as your calling from a landline they will send something. It varies from just a Police Officer to everything.

911 generally has response policies for open lines/hangups. So even if you can't respond to them, as long as your calling from a landline they will send something. It varies from just a Police Officer to everything.
Ah, there's the rub:

"...as long as your calling from a landline..."

Many people have quit using landline phones.

Back