How do you dial 911?

Here where I live, we dial 911 on the TTY.

Jasin, what state are you from? most states have a program where you can get a TTY gratis.

Here where I live, we dial 911 on the TTY.

Jasin, what state are you from? most states have a program where you can get a TTY gratis.
Right; in South Carolina, TTY's are free to all Deaf people who have a land line phone connection.

Jasin lives in Washington state, correct?

Not everyone has tty or can afford it.
Check this out:

"Residents of Washington state who have a documented hearing loss can apply once every three years for an amplified phone or a TTY from the Telecommunications Equipment Distribution program (TED). Applications can be obtained by calling toll free 1 800-422-7930. The signature of a doctor, audiologist, or Deaf services provider is required to complete the application. No hearing tests are required."

TTY FAQs

Just dial "911" on tty, they will know you are on tty (if you didnt answer tty) and send cops to stop by your place as automatically! thats nice!

How do I dial 911? I pick up the phone and press "9" - "1" - "1". Simple. ;)

I was told you could dial 9 1 1 directly from a phone (landline, Sidekick, whatever) - that often the 911 center as a way of tracking you down even if you don't say anything is this true?

I was told you could dial 9 1 1 directly from a phone (landline, Sidekick, whatever) - that often the 911 center as a way of tracking you down even if you don't say anything is this true?

Yes it will track you down. When I was a teenager and I was really stupid. I dialed 911 then hanged up. 5 min later Cops/FireFighters/Ambulance came :giggle:

Yes if it was directly from a landline phone. But I don't think it would from sidekick because you might use sidekick while NOT at home/property.

Something to think about:

..."Think of any traffic artery during rush hour: You have a large number of people who are trying to access it at the same time," said Joe Farren, assistant vice president of public affairs for CTIA-The Wireless Association, a wireless industry group. "It's really no different with regard to wireless networks."

"...What happens where there is an emergency?" asked Scott Midkiff, professor of electrical and computer engineering at Virginia Tech. "This has been a big problem with the voice cellular system. It will probably become more of a problem with text messaging."

..In an emergency, it could be a concern, Cameron said.

"I didn't have a connection using cell phones for several days, and that was really frightening," he said of living in New York after the Sept. 11 attacks. "I didn't talk to my parents for a week and a half."

"It's definitely a really big question mark," said Rajan Shah, who sent his New Year's text messages before the clock struck midnight to beat the rush. "It really makes you rethink technology and whether we are able to be connected through a global catastrophe."

Text messages already use a different transmission system from cell phone calls. There may be a way to differentiate among types of information or to create a separate system for people to use in emergencies.

Farren said emergency networks in place and now being expanded allow emergency service personnel to maintain voice cell phone service in times of need . . .

"In an emergency situation, you really should stay off your phone" if possible, he said.

Emergencies by definition are so unusual that building a full backup network could be cost-prohibitive, Farren said.

"If you're asking everyone to spends billions to billions to build a secondary network, someone's got to pay for it," Farren said.

But the wireless field is constantly changing, he noted. "As innovation continues, I'm sure some of these questions will be addressed."

It's not a strict technology issue, Midkiff said.

"It's people having to think a little bit differently about how you communicate," he said. "Maybe there's a need for some different models."

World and National Associated Press News | Charleston.Net

my little sibling been play around with payphone during camp. She saw it and make quick dial "911" then hang up. In short hour later, police show up. Since that location is out-city-zone...

Anyway, I would like to remind everybody that use cell phone with 911 are not always compatible by direct to locate. Since it required part of city on tower with specs trace add to allow 911 to dial direct to city where you're at.

For example as you tried dial 711 for Relay service, while you're in your home state. It went make random pick up on other state. Strange!

I used TTY to call 911 twice, they responds quicker with their TTY. I never had any problem. If anyone has alarm system, they automactic dail 911 to police, fire, etc...I will have the alarm system install again since we just moved into another area. Alarm system is great too!!! They got buttons that you can press who you want to call, someone will call-if no answer, they will send help asap.

RCMP advises deaf people in British Columbia to call 711 instead of 911

I recently received this email from the RCMP. I have emailled E-Comm (the 911 service provider for southwestern British Columbia) and asked them whether their TTYs are back in service. I will update this thread when I hear back from them.

February 28, 2008

Public Advisory - Teletypewriter machines not working in some British Columbia 9-1-1 call centres.

The RCMP has recently learned that the Teletypewriter (TTY) machines in six 9-1-1 call centres were not in operation or were not in working order.

Work is currently being done to ensure that the machines are replaced or repaired and is expected to be completed late next week.

If in doubt if whether your area has TTY service please use the 7-1-1 telephone service to contact emergency services.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we remedy this situation.

For further information please contact:

RCMP Strategic Communications
604-264-2929

Royal Canadian
Mounted Police

Gendarmerie royale
du Canada​

I used TTY to call 911 twice, they responds quicker with their TTY. I never had any problem. If anyone has alarm system, they automactic dail 911 to police, fire, etc...I will have the alarm system install again since we just moved into another area. Alarm system is great too!!! They got buttons that you can press who you want to call, someone will call-if no answer, they will send help asap.

I do have an alarm system (Elk M1 Gold) but since I don't have a landline phone service (no monitoring service) and that I don't use my Elk M1 Gold as a security system yet (it will be wireless), I'm using Elk M1 Gold as a home automation system and artificial intelligence. :)

Ah, there's the rub:

"...as long as your calling from a landline..."

Many people have quit using landline phones.

The "landline" policy is because they can trace the physical line to a street address - which means they don't need you to be able to give an address - it will automatically be available to them via line trace. I guess it falls under "reasonable attempt made to ensure the safety of the caller"

Currently they can't if you call via online relay or from a mobile such as cell or blackberry. I'm not sure what they do if you call from a GPS enabled phone like BB ? it's probably something they'll sort out soon ...

I was told you can just dial 911 from your sidekick or whatever kind of phone you have and when you see the screen say connect start talking into it. Tell them you are deaf and need an ambulance, police, or whatever.

I have a really, really good voice so I guess that would be an option for me. Not sure about other deaf people though.

Back