How do you become deaf?

I weighed just a bit more than you did but was in the womb longer than you. I weighed 2lb 1oz and my sister 2lb 9oz and my deceased sister was 1lb 15oz

I weighed just a bit more than you did but was in the womb longer than you. I weighed 2lb 1oz and my sister 2lb 9oz and my deceased sister was 1lb 15oz

Wow! Your sister was tiny! I'm sorry she didn't survive, but am glad you did. :)

By the way, I almost died twice and required high levels of oxygen/blood transfer, antibiotics, ototoxic drugs as well as chest tubes due to collapsed lungs.

Yes iv had exactly the same things youv had Hear Again, I also had to have phototherapy for my severe jaundice, oxygen etc. my parents wrote little notes of how we were doing in the hospital i fgound them recently and they were shocking to read.
I have many scars from chest tubes and canullas n injections on my hands and chest.

Yes iv had exactly the same things youv had Hear Again, I also had to have phototherapy for my severe jaundice, oxygen etc. my parents wrote little notes of how we were doing in the hospital i fgound them recently and they were shocking to read.
I have many scars from chest tubes and canullas n injections on my hands and chest.

Same here. I had severe jaundice and I also have a scar on my forehead due to the pressure of the respirator mask. That's the only scar I have. Despite all of the needles that were injected into my hands and chest, I have no visible scars.

I also have my newborn reports. One sentence said that my chances of survival were thought to be quite poor. Everytime I read that, it makes me thankful to be alive. :)

By the way, when I read the list of conditions I had at birth, they had 11 listed. :shock:

i was born profoundly deaf. My mom was sick while she was pregnant with me. I am not sure how long have she been sick during her pregnancy.

My parents noticed that I couldn't hear well when I was a toddler, after I contracted measles. I didn't respond to their voices and sat with my ears next to the speaker on the TV.

I also had chronic ear infections as a child. I had surgery eight times during my childhood to try and stop this, and improve my deafness, none of which were successful. The final surgery, at the age of nine, was a radical mastoidectomy on my left ear, which left me with severe hearing loss in that ear. The hearing in my right ear was also made worse by infection, and I now have bi-lateral severe/profound hearing loss.

Same here. I had severe jaundice and I also have a scar on my forehead due to the pressure of the respirator mask. That's the only scar I have. Despite all of the needles that were injected into my hands and chest, I have no visible scars.

I also have my newborn reports. One sentence said that my chances of survival were thought to be quite poor. Everytime I read that, it makes me thankful to be alive. :)

By the way, when I read the list of conditions I had at birth, they had 11 listed. :shock:

What were the conditions?

What were the conditions?

1. Respiratory Distress Syndrome (severe)
2. Retinopathy of Prematurity (Stage 5)
3. Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
4. Patent Ductus Arteriosus
5. Sepsis
6. Necrotizing Enterocolitis
7. Apnea
8. Anemia
9. Jaundice (severe)
10. Pneumothorax
11. Malnourishment

Wow! Your so lucky to survive!

I had renal infections, septicaemia(blood poisoning) Severe respiratory distress syndrome, severe jaundice, loads of pneuothoraxs, severe anaemia, and very mild retinopathy of prematurity,

Wow! Your so lucky to survive!

I had renal infections, septicaemia(blood poisoning) Severe respiratory distress syndrome, severe jaundice, loads of pneuothoraxs, severe anaemia, and very mild retinopathy of prematurity,

According to my neonatal records, I almost died twice. Things could have been far worse for me as well. Doctors thought I would have CP, brain damage, profound cognitive delays, heart/lung problems and total deafness. With that being the case, I think I was lucky to only deal with total blindness and a progressive hearing loss.

It sounds like you and I had alot of the same issues after we were born.

Doctors warned our parents that me n my sister would have disabilties, shows that they can be totally wrong!

5. Sepsis
7. Apnea
8. Anemia
9. Jaundice (severe)
10. Pneumothorax
11. Malnourishment

Good god! :shock:

Doctors warned our parents that me n my sister would have disabilties, shows that they can be totally wrong!

This is common for preemies since the prognosis for future development and progression of congenital conditions is uncertain.

In my case, doctors said that the level of my intelligence and language development would be impossible to predict given all of the issues I had shortly after birth. As it turned out, I'm considered gifted and had no developmental delays to speak of. (I don't mention this to brag; only to point out that the future can be much different than what might be expected given a child's premature birth history.)

5. Sepsis
7. Apnea
8. Anemia
9. Jaundice (severe)
10. Pneumothorax
11. Malnourishment

Golly! :shock:

Back