How do you become deaf?

I was born HOH but lost all my hearing in my right year a few years ago (unknown cause) and i still have some hearing in the left and i wear hearing aid in that ear..
My mother thinks it was caused by Rubella but now im not sure if it is cuz
I just discovered something in my family that it may not be so...it was
very distressing..one of my family members had lost her hearing when she
was 4 years old and it was unknown why she lost it...really strange. I didnt
know this till now..i was wondering if it is genetics? She told me that she heard that our distant cousin had hearing loss...i didnt know this either..I
need to do some family tree research..i guess. :dunno:

My mum contracted the German measles (rubella) when she was pregnant w me which she did NOT know and she did not have vaccination at that time. So, then I was born deaf due to this....

~sharlie~

Born deaf. My mother had a touch of rubella when she was expecting me at the early stage of the pregnancy.

My mom got German measles when she was 3 months pregnant with me. There´re no rubella shot at her time...

I was born premature at 27 weeks old...

Doctor thinks there was three causes for me to become Deaf.

1) born Deaf
2) too much oxygen that made me Deaf.
3) the drugs that doctor gave me to keep me alive when i came out early made me Deaf.

So it is unknown with possibility of those 3 causes... who knows.

Born with hearing loss and my sister lost her hearing too. We didn't have any family member loss their hearing.

Born hearing, deaf at 14. Rare disease (ears), and during surgery, doctors severed/damaged the nerves (both ears), so I was deaf "overnight"

I lost my hearing due to a number of factors including prematurity, secondary effects of retinopathy of prematurity/ROP, ototoxic drugs given to me while in the neonatal ICU, antibiotics given to me while in the neonatal ICU for infections and during my childhood/teenage years for ear infections. I also suffered from untreated allergies for as long as I can remember.

I was born deaf because my mother got sick when she was four months pregnant and continue to stay sick until I was born. After the birth, my mother almost died from a high fever not known what kind of fever. The doctors save her. I asked my mom what kind of high fever was it when she was going through her difficult pregnancy. She did not know what kind because she could not understand the doctor with his medical terms for names. He did not give her the common or layer term for her to know what kind of high fever she had been experiencing with me. I am her first child before my sister who have normal hearing. Hope that help the OP to answer the question.

Born at 28 weeks(almost 12 weeks early) as a triplet after my mum went into premature labour, my sister wanted to be born, LOL by emergency c-section and ototoxic drugs

Born deaf ...has to be genetics as my brother was born deaf too.

Back