How do you become deaf?

I was born hearing then got little deaf due to high fever when I was a baby.

I was born hearing up till the age of 3 when I began to gradually lose my hearing. I started to lose my skills in speech, and wasn't responding to sounds, and was sitting way toooo close to the t.v, even when the volume was set on high. EVer since then, I became deaf. The cause of my deafness to this day remains unknown.

When I was around the age of 1, I suffered a common child-hood illness where the tubing inside the ears are not balanced. Most kids have this problem and it's nothing that proper medication can't fix. Anyway, the doctor gave my mom some medicine and told her to keep giving it to me until she ran out of medicine. When then has to see the doctor again when the runs out of medicine. She gave me medicine until my ear problem seemed to be fine then stopped giving me the medicine. Because of that, my illness came back worse than before. I had fluid leaking out of my ears and I was screaming while she was out playing some poker game with her friends. I ended up becoming deaf and my mom was reported to social services. I was taken away from her and put in a foster home. Now, I am with my new adopted parents.

Don't Know what really happened but my parents were careless to have me as a fourth kid and ready to give me away in adoption but until someone at the adoption center told them that since i am deaf that I could get SSI my whole life so they thought of the SSI as an extra income and decided to keep me ACTUALLY NO THAT IS A JOKE ! MY PARENTS CHERISHS ME VERY MUCH to give me away but my deafness is unknown !!!!! just found out when i was 6 months old !!! and the fact i am the second kid and the baby in my family ...

I was born as hearing until approximently age one --I became deaf with no causes.

wow anyone else in ur family deaf ? eternity no causes at all ? u were not even sick at all ?

I am the only one deaf in the family, no genes of deafness at all. I was born hearing until at the age of 4. I was in France visiting relatives with my grandmother and became really sick with Bronchitis, the doctor there gave me an antibiotic overdose called Streptomycin and that caused my deafness. My grandparents didn't find out about my deafness until about a week later after getting home from France, How they found out: I had set the volume of the tv way up too high and told them it was broken.

I'm proud to be deaf anyway ;)

My parents and families are also deaf,, aunt,uncle,cousins
Deaf Power in my family :)
as for Jimmy his family are also deaf, his 8 months old nephew is deaf too but twin sister not deaf..
DonnaMarie :)

My mother had german measles while pregnant with me that caused my deafness. My parents didn't find out that Im deaf til I was around near 1 year old. And, I'm only deaf in my family as far as I know. ;)

Rubella kid here -- born deaf caused by German Measles/Rubella -- only 1 deafie in family

Born deaf... found out I was deaf around age 1 to age 1 1/2.

Cause...unknown until I was 7 years old. My mom watch the news and got PISSED! The known or assume known would be the pills that she was taking while pregnant with me. She almost lost me so she took the pills. Whatever it is (my mom forgot but once she see that word again, she'll tell me.) caused me deaf because my hearing was being delevoped at the time.

<<Proud to be DeAf >>

My deafness is WICKED complicated. I have a genetic syndrome, but it's not familial(no one else in my family has it)...it's denovo.(spontanously appeared with me) Anyway I am missing a gene that codes for the development of the middle ear. As a result I don't have ear canals, or eardrums. The bones (staphus, mallus etc) are fused together. The strange thing is that most of the time with this type of pathology, the outer ear is missing or absent. Yet my ears aren't even smaller then usual!
It wasn't discovered til I was about 2 1/2 when I got my hearing aids.

Back