How do they react when you told hearie person that you're Ddeaf/Hhoh?

yagazn

Reaction score
When I told a hearie person that I'm hoh and hearie person was like saying, "Oh". a hearie person seems unsure like awkward or not knowing what to do with Ddeaf/Hhoh person. That's because it's new to some hearie person. Some other hearie person had no problems with me being Ddeaf/Hhoh.

Last edited:
I usually get the "oh" as well ... at which point I tell them "so I need to see your lips in order to understand what you say - you don't have to exaggerate how you say things at all ... I'll let you know if I'm having trouble understanding you" ...

Most hearing people just aren't sure what they're suppose to do - are they suppose to slow down ? make huge awkward mouth movements ? stop talking and write ? wander away because you don't really want to communicate with them?? ...

I've found that as long as I give very brief friendly communication tips, people are really ok with it - the "deer in the headlights" look is usually because they have no idea what they are suppose to do with the information "I'm hh/d" ...

You're DEAF? OMG! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! YOU SPEAK SO WELL!

I always :barf: at this response!

I have meet many hearing people that sign so well that I thought they were Deaf. Why not a Deaf person that can speak like a hearing person? :lol:

More than often, they respond with "Oh I am sorry". :roll:

But I have been noticing that more and more younger people are aware that I am deaf before I open my mouth. They would go "Do you sign" in ASL so I think people are now starting to realize why I do not respond to them appropriately. Last Saturday, three different people in one single day asked me that question - one at Starbucks, one at Gap and another one at PetCo. I think I will see less of "Oh I am sorry" replies when more people become educated and aware.

- the "deer in the headlights" look is usually because they have no idea what they are suppose to do with the information "I'm hh/d" ...

Perfect analogy, Anij!

At the same time, I can just about read their minds that they would simply like to walk away from us, rather than dealing with us.

It depends on the person...it varies.

My neighbors were cool about the fact that I am deaf after we bought our house last year and they dont act differently around me. I need to overcome my shyness to go up and talk to them. (I am a very shy and reserved person when I first meet people).

I guess hearing people in MD are more understanding and educated about deafness than people in AZ.

I dont get those kinds of responses like u all descrived too often here in MD but in AZ it was constant.

Dunno why!

More than often, they respond with "Oh I am sorry". :roll:

But I have been noticing that more and more younger people are aware that I am deaf before I open my mouth. They would go "Do you sign" in ASL so I think people are now starting to realize why I do not respond to them appropriately. Last Saturday, three different people in one single day asked me that question - one at Starbucks, one at Gap and another one at PetCo. I think I will see less of "Oh I am sorry" replies when more people become educated and aware.

Oh I couldn't have said that any better. Regarding both paragraphs. I can be at a convenience store and digging in my purse for change and when I look up the cashier is pointing at the "total" display -- they have figured out that I'm deaf so they must've said something while I was digging in there. Stuff like that happens often. Without my even saying a single word.

I mostly get responses like "What, you're deaf? I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me, you don't speak like one or act like one...you talk so well." :roll:

It's not like deaf people can't talk normal or well like hearing people. Really, sometimes that pisses me off as most people think deaf people are either dumb or mute.

Other responses were like:

"Oh...I didn't know..."

"I'm sorry..." (there's nothing to be sorry, I'm quite happy to be who I am)

I don't tell people. Afraid it might be pretty obvious.:aw:

for me I can't use the word "deaf", because people most often think I'm lying and they say things like "oh... okay... um you hear really well". I just say I'm Hard of Hearing

I guess hearing people in MD are more understanding and educated about deafness than people in AZ.

I dont get those kinds of responses like u all descrived too often here in MD but in AZ it was constant.

Dunno why!

Yes, it does depending on where you live.

Just one sample; St. Augustine it's more understanding and respect for the deaf there because of FSDB and that quite many deaf people live there, too... Deaf-friendly town.

Jax isn't that poor at it despite being a big city, I would say because of St. Augustine, just an half hour drive away. So it kind of helps.

So it's pretty much true depending on geographically... dial deaf411! lol

Some people accuse me of lying or "selective hearing" when I tell them I am deaf.

Dunno why!

We Maryland hearies are more enlightened than those elsewhere, shel. :cool2: The fact that Gally is practically in our backyard can't hurt either.

People accuse me of lying, saying I can't be deaf because I speak very well. To prove i'm deaf, I have to point out my hearing aids.

for me I can't use the word "deaf", because people most often think I'm lying and they say things like "oh... okay... um you hear really well". I just say I'm Hard of Hearing

I usually say "i have a hearing disability but not deaf" because they would automatically assume I can't hear anything so that phrase usually works for me.

People accuse me of lying, saying I can't be deaf because I speak very well. To prove i'm deaf, I have to point out my hearing aids.

yea same. I played piano for some concerts and charity programs when I was younger. They were surprised to see that I'm HOH when they came up close to shake my hand. They just don't believe it. oh well not my problem :cool2:

I have had encounters like that...with both deaf and hearing people!!!

In USA, some areas such as where Shel90 are, are lucky people -- cause what soceity's child said, Gally is practically in your backyard, and they are aware about that as it is a deaf university ofc! That is where I want to live one day if I intend to move to USA. :)

back to what I would sai, I am deaf -- some times I get "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know" and they walk off, I was walked off when the man at my apartment asked me for something which I couldn't understand and it completely frustrates me! He just walked off, when I kindly apologised to him when I had to tell him that I'm deaf!

But I like when they said, thats OK, I know, and they have the courage to find alternative ways to talk to me and be friendly, that's what I like, and I don't like being disregarded from the people who gives a damn about us. :roll:

We Maryland hearies are more enlightened than those elsewhere, shel. :cool2: The fact that Gally is practically in our backyard can't hurt either.

U have a good point..and there is McDaniel's, Towson, 3 Deaf schools here also..yep, Deaf awareness is everywhere in MD! :)

Too bad that it has to be in the most expensive state in the USA, according, to Consumer Report 2007.

I think the best response (as in funniest) to my saying that I'm hh/D is "really, are you sure?"

ummm yeah - I'm sure I'm hh/D ... lol

(I have "hearing speech" so you just know that in their heads they're think ... "is she pulling my leg ??")

Back