How do i know if im learning current letter signs or old ones?

Michael Anzalone

Reaction score
Hello everyone i just started learning asl letters about a week aga and i noticed some of the letter may be old and not current comparing to youtube videos and some phone apps. The letters so far i noticed can change depending on were i look are, F (three fingers together or seperated)?, G (like poinnting your finger or index and thumb close togther like saying somthings small)?, K (like a piece sign with thumb in middle or middle finger bent down)? So far this is what ive covered and noticed these letters have been changed, which is current, i live in CA if it makes any difference. Thanks for your help i did my best to describe the differences.

You're going to encounter all sorts of variations on signs. My suggestion would be to just get used to it. If you don't understand, just ask. You're going to have regional differences, age differences, people who use home signs. I know 3 different signs just for pineapple and just as many for pizza. Is gonna happen to you often.

There are different signs that mean the same thing like sister and brother have two signs. The finger spelling will always look different, everyone hands work differently. F is normally finger spread, g is thumb and index in a u shape, and k is peace sign with thumb between. I always move my middle finger in a bit and place my thumb on my middle finger, but I have little thumbs lol

The G I learned with thumb in rather than in 'u' shape.

And Lysander is right... you will see many variations with the letters and with signs. I recently learned a different sign for "hurt" that is particular to the ENCSD area. I also know of a few different signs for birthday.

The G I use tends to end up looking like an H with only 1 finger instead of 2. I use my thumb. But with the way I position my hand you can't really see it. And I'm lazy with my C, it looks a lot like my E.

The "text book" G-hand is still the one with the thumb and index finger parallel to each other. The newer G-hand, with thumb up, like "21", didn't replace the original G-hand but is another option. You will never be wrong to use the original G-hand. However, the newer G-hand doesn't fit all situations.

The newer G-hand is best used for economy of motion. That is, when the "21" shape flows better in certain letter combinations. Experiment and try it out.

ASL, like any other language, has variations not only by geographical location, but also by the signer's age, sex, race, socio-economic status, and the setting (formal vs. informal).

California is known for having many signs specific to the state.

You're going to encounter all sorts of variations on signs. My suggestion would be to just get used to it. If you don't understand, just ask. You're going to have regional differences, age differences, people who use home signs. I know 3 different signs just for pineapple and just as many for pizza. Is gonna happen to you often.
Thanks you guys/girls, big help

Another question, does it matter how i place my hands when signing the alphabet, are there any specific letters that prefer palm in or palm out or can i jusy make the sign and it shows for it self.

Yes, it does matter how you place your hands. Palm orientation is very important.

Yes, it does matter how you place your hands. Palm orientation is very important.
The wrong palm orientation can literally mean the exact opposite of what you are trying to sign.

Back