How do i explain i don't want my hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants' started by Evie Yancey, May 7, 2017.

1. Jane B.

Jane B. Well-Known Member

This comes across to me as a control issue as much or more than about the HAs. And as AlleyCat asked how about telling us why you do this?

2. Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone Member

She already did so very clearly. Try reading the whole thread.

3. Evie Yancey

Evie Yancey New Member

The problem is that I don't have an autoimmune disease, I have an auto-inflammatory immune disease, which is much rarer, and harder to treat. Symptoms are usually more intense and side effects tend to be more threatening when it comes to children in changing environments. As for school, I live in a very close-minded area, where it took years to even allow the ASL classes, which I think is stupid, but I can't change that. The most that I can do about my studies in the technical advantages and disadvantages would be if I did on my own, which I have been for a while. Thank you so much for the link if you want to look further into the auto-inflammatory immune disease this is the link to the page that the alliance made. I'm friends with the woman who made the site, her son has the same thing as me, but he doesn't have hearing aids because he hasn't lost much hearing. But if you are interested in anything weird and rare in the medical world, this should be a fun read.
    http://autoinflammatory.org/nomid.php
    Again thank you for taking time to answer and help me out. I also found my hearing aid, so I'm no longer in trouble :)

Tetracyclone and Kathy Baker like this.
  4. AmputeeOT

AmputeeOT Member

Yay! So happy you found your hearing aid!

I will not fault you for secretly not wearing them - its your choice whether to wear them or not but definitely keep them in a safe place while they aren't in your ears ^.^

5. Kathy Baker

Kathy Baker New Member

I'm 64 and I can't stand them. I had my first one in my twenties which was OK because I could hear better at school. When those broke I didn't have a way to get anymore until I was in my 40's. I couldn't understand a thing with that set. I got more in my 60's and they drive me crazy because I can't separate out the sounds. I do have a hearing dog that alerts me to the sounds I can't hear and she is amazing. I also have a PocketTalker that I can use in small spaces. Once you figure out how you hear, you can explain it to everybody. I wish you the best, Kathy

Tetracyclone likes this.