How do Deaf people drive?

"How do Deaf people drive?" Simple- With a car, silly!

The alarm doesn't bother us :) It's not our fault that they installed an alarm like that. You have to blame a hearing person for it. If it become a problem, you have to let the deaf person know.

btw, My car alarm do go off at random time and I wouldn't know about it because my CI is not on. When that happen, the sounds go off after certain amout of time. But the light will keep flashing. I think that will drain the battery because what if someone is away for vacation?
Most car alarms only last for a short period of time... unless, yours is the kind that goes on and on until someone turns it off?

Why would yours go off at random time? If that's the case, then your car alarm is probably malfunctioning. It could also be your sensitivity and you need to adjust it. :dunno:

MInd you...

I feel safer with Deaf drivers than I do with hearing drivers.
I actually feel safer with hearing drivers than deaf drivers. (Unless it's a deaf person I know and trust.)

I know a lot of deaf people who have gotten in car accidents because they were careless. One guy ran into the back of another car cuz he was too busy looking at his Sidekick. Another guy veered into the side of another car cuz he was too busy looking at his Sidekick. One gal ran into the back of another car because she was too busy looking at her Sidekick. Etc, etc, etc...

What scares me more is the fact that almost half of them admitted that they couldn't help it because they were looking at their Sidekicks and shouldn't be blamed for it. :Ohno:

My own mother asked me this question last night! I am having hearing loss due to Meniere's - and she said, "well, if you go deaf you won't ever be able to drive again..." Told her there were MANY deaf drivers who did just fine!

I actually feel safer with hearing drivers than deaf drivers. (Unless it's a deaf person I know and trust.)

I know a lot of deaf people who have gotten in car accidents because they were careless. One guy ran into the back of another car cuz he was too busy looking at his Sidekick. Another guy veered into the side of another car cuz he was too busy looking at his Sidekick. One gal ran into the back of another car because she was too busy looking at her Sidekick. Etc, etc, etc...

What scares me more is the fact that almost half of them admitted that they couldn't help it because they were looking at their Sidekicks and shouldn't be blamed for it. :Ohno:

I don't trust teenagers.

Most car alarms only last for a short period of time... unless, yours is the kind that goes on and on until someone turns it off?

Why would yours go off at random time? If that's the case, then your car alarm is probably malfunctioning. It could also be your sensitivity and you need to adjust it. :dunno:

That's what I was wondering when a poster asked how do we hear it? I just let it go off by itself.

yes it goes off in random time, not sure why.

I also don't trust hearing people because they look at me while driving because I have to read their lips.

Interesting, i have a simple question to ask you, do you have more hearing friends than deaf friends?

just pretend they are hearing people who happened to have less residental hearing, then you wouldn't say "I don't trust deaf people" You would say, I don't trust people who text and drive instead.

What about Blackberry, iPhone, or Motorola Cliq? It appears your friends have gotten themselves in a wreck because of "Sidekick". Is it possible clients have easy access to Sidekick than any cell phone while driving..?

My personal experience is every time I text them, "What are you doing now?" They can't reply back while driving EXCEPT Sidekick clients reply back to me.

"Hey, want to go to Starbucks with me? We'll take my car."
"Sure, What cell phone do you carry?"
"Why, I do have Sidekick."
"Then I can't ride with you."

I don't know where read this, but didn't they want to make cars to disactivate cell phones when in drive mode?

just pretend they are hearing people who happened to have less residental hearing, then you wouldn't say "I don't trust deaf people" You would say, I don't trust people who text and drive instead.

:gpost:

Sqash those blanket statements, girl!!!

I have only one picture that I know how deaf people can drive...

eyeballs.jpg

'Nuff said....

Yiz

Interesting, i have a simple question to ask you, do you have more hearing friends than deaf friends?
It's about even.

I have a little more deaf friends than I do with hearing friends.

Everyone is different when it comes to multi-tasking. If you can't multi-task, then don't bother trying... especially when one of those tasks requires a lot of your attention.

I know some hearing people who can talk on their cell phones while driving like they were driving without their cell phones. They don't slow down or speed up. They don't swerve left & right. They don't get into accidents.

There are some hearing people who slow down as low as 1/2 the speed limit because they are on their cell phones. I've gotten stuck behind a SUV in a no-passing zone because the driver was using a cell phone while driving 35 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

The same applies to deaf people. I have a deaf friend who can use his Sidekick without looking. He usually looks when he's stopped. When he's using his Sidekick, he doesn't slow down or swerve.

The other deaf guys I know who use their Sidekicks, they're focused on their Sidekicks and not the road. One guy has a habit of swerving to the right when he's not paying attention. He knows he always swerves to the right. So, if he knows that... he shouldn't bother multi-tasking. Another guy has a habit of slowing down and stopping at the last minute. Instead of slowing down when he's approaching an intersection from 10 cars away, he slows down when he's a couple cars away. Because of that, he rearends another car cuz he's on his Sidekick and not looking at the road.

What about Blackberry, iPhone, or Motorola Cliq? It appears your friends have gotten themselves in a wreck because of "Sidekick". Is it possible clients have easy access to Sidekick than any cell phone while driving..?

My personal experience is every time I text them, "What are you doing now?" They can't reply back while driving EXCEPT Sidekick clients reply back to me.

"Hey, want to go to Starbucks with me? We'll take my car."
"Sure, What cell phone do you carry?"
"Why, I do have Sidekick."
"Then I can't ride with you."
I do have friends with Blackberry, iPhone, etc. They just happen to use better judgment when driving and using their cell phones. One person has an iPhone. Since she can't feel the keyboard, she uses her phone when she's stopped. My friends who use Blackberry can use it without looking or with only one hand.

I'm not saying that anyone who uses a Sidekick is guaranteed to be a bad driver. It's just a matter of whether they use good judgment.

I don't know where read this, but didn't they want to make cars to disactivate cell phones when in drive mode?
That would be nice.

There are times when I'm on the road and get disrupted by another driver because he/she is using a cell phone... and wish I could just press a button and disrupt their phone call! ;)

I know one guy did... but got in trouble for it. :roll:

It's about even.

I have a little more deaf friends than I do with hearing friends.

Everyone is different when it comes to multi-tasking. If you can't multi-task, then don't bother trying... especially when one of those tasks requires a lot of your attention.

I know some hearing people who can talk on their cell phones while driving like they were driving without their cell phones. They don't slow down or speed up. They don't swerve left & right. They don't get into accidents.

There are some hearing people who slow down as low as 1/2 the speed limit because they are on their cell phones. I've gotten stuck behind a SUV in a no-passing zone because the driver was using a cell phone while driving 35 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

The same applies to deaf people. I have a deaf friend who can use his Sidekick without looking. He usually looks when he's stopped. When he's using his Sidekick, he doesn't slow down or swerve.

The other deaf guys I know who use their Sidekicks, they're focused on their Sidekicks and not the road. One guy has a habit of swerving to the right when he's not paying attention. He knows he always swerves to the right. So, if he knows that... he shouldn't bother multi-tasking. Another guy has a habit of slowing down and stopping at the last minute. Instead of slowing down when he's approaching an intersection from 10 cars away, he slows down when he's a couple cars away. Because of that, he rearends another car cuz he's on his Sidekick and not looking at the road.

Just wonder. yeah depends on how individuals are. Definintely, I wouldn't feel comfortable if driver who are either hearing or deaf who rely on the cellphones.

Back