How do Deaf people drive?

I love those stick shifts...

Unfortunately, the wife can't drive with them and so we have automatics.

What is the best part about being a deaf driver?

Being deaf is great because your nice dream isn't interrupted by your screaming passengers.

I love those stick shifts...

Unfortunately, the wife can't drive with them and so we have automatics.

Oh, I hadn't realized that you're a married man!

Personally, I don't know how to drive shifts, but I'd love to learn! Any teachers?

Deaf Drivers

Reading this thread has been enlightnening. I had never really given too much thought to hearing impaired drivers. But it does make sense that a deaf driver would be much safter than others.

I have a short essay to write for Psych class and the topic I chose was regarding deaf people's driving experiences. This should be quite helpful.

Technology is the solution...

Hello,
Let me start with saying that the hearing impaired probably do drive better on average then those of us blaring the radio or yakking on a cell phone.
I saw something on TV that lead me to believe the hearing impaired were not allowed to drive... I thought that can't be right? Turns out it wasn't just an old movie. But it got me to thinking... you could put a sort of ambient lighting system in your vehicle controlled and modulated by a computer chip that is directly connected to microphones on the outside of the vehicle. Nothing too bright and nothing that strobes or flashes too much as to distract the driver... but rather simply different colors of ambient light within the vehicle corresponding to different environments of sound. For example when in the case of an emergency vehicle the microphones could pick up the rhythmic pattern of the Ambulance or fire truck from a mile or so away and progressively change the ambient light in the vehicle towards a "more red colored" state. In the case of someone honking at you a degree of orange could be implemented... obviously most of us who have suffered the loud annoyance of a honk wish we couldn't hear when some ass is honking at us
but there are the rare occasions when someone is actually using their horn to warn you of impending doom. One of the main premises of this concept is to not add more distraction for a driver relying on sight solely so these lights could in now way obstruct vision in any way or be too bright or change colors too fast... another approach might be vibrations in the seat instead of a lighting system that may only serve to distract the driver...Just a thought having read some of the posts above sounds like hearing impaired drive better for the most part..this might serve as a solution to the rare occasions when an emergency vehicle sneaks up on you in between your rear view mirror checks or when someone needs to get your attention is attempting to do so with their horn.
Another 10 years and cybernetics will hand out the ability to hear to those without on the regular. I was reading an article about a deaf man who heard Mozart for the first time was very interesting.
anywho
cheers 0/

What about those hearing who talk on cellular phones? I've seen lost of control of their vehicles while they're on the phone and driving at the same time.

Let's not get started on that, shall we??? :shock::laugh2: Seriously, I am enraged by seeing drivers with their handset in their hand and not paying attention to the road. WA just passed a law making texting and talking on a cell phone a primary offence. But there are still idiots that insist upon doing that endangering everyone around them.

In reading your posts here, I am finding that it actually seems safer not hearing while driving. This makes one rely more upon sight (and possibly an additional 6th sense?) and have to pay more attention to the road. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's the impression I am getting here...

Question, why are there so many accidents? Mostly are hearing people involved. Why I ask? that is because if hearing is a requirement, there should not be any accidents. This proves that having hearing is not going to prevent any accidents.

So, here is sarcasm, if a blind drivers were allowed to drive, will there be any accident? This is obviously, right? So, this proves which is more important part of driving, hearing or visual?

Hope this answer your question.

I've never had an accidents, just a close few calls...only speeding tickets. A lot of hearies are "scared silly" to ride with a deafie.... I took a hearing friend home once, and she had her hands on the dashboard, "holding on" the entire way....:)giggle:)...and hearies are constantly looking around, and pointing out (as if I'm not gonna stop for a red light)....

Someone did ask me years ago..."ur deaf, but you drive"?....And I replied..."yeah, sure do, since I was 15 or so....I drive like Hell...but I damn sure get there."...She gave me a ":shock: ing look".

Since the title says "How do deaf people drive?"

Ok this is what I do as a deaf person..

I get my car keys

Walk to my car

I turn off the alarm and unlock it via remote

Open the door

Get in

Put the keys in the ingnition

Start the car

Put it in "D"

Press the gas pedal

Drive on the right side of the road

Stop when cars in front of me stop, at a stop sign, at a red traffic light

When changing lanes, I look inmy rearview mirror to check for cars

I follow all traffic laws

Sometimes I go over the speed limit

Sometimes I do not

I arrive at my destination

I park when there is space

I put the car on "P"

I turn the keys to turn off the car

I open the door

I get out

I close the door

I turn on the alarm and lock it via remote

I go on my merry way.

That's how deaf people drive.

I get my car keys

Walk to my car

Open the door

Get in

Start the car

Put it in "D"

Press the gas pedal

Sometimes I do not

I put the car on "P"

I open the door

I get out

I close the door

I go on my merry way.

Yep. :lol:

How do deaf people drive? Wild and crazy.. is that the answer you were hoping for? (it's a joke, btw... We don't use our ears to drive)

I get my car keys

Walk to my car

Open the door

Get in

Start the car

Put it in "D"

Press the gas pedal

Sometimes I do not

I put the car on "P"

I open the door

I get out

I close the door

I go on my merry way.

If this post have a "like" button, I would triple my like

I text while driving.

I pop a wheelie when I go down the driveway. Why not? It's the longest open strip I'll be able to drive on all day.

Waiting at reds, I peel out on first gear like I'm driving for formula 1 when the light is green.

I don't wait for pedestrians to cross the street. it's their fault if I hit them.

I slam the gas when I see a yellow light, sometimes up to ~+50mph.

I do donuts in empty parking lots.

I make u-turns on one way streets.

I go 20mph over the speed limit always. 99mph on highways, 50mphs in school zones.

Oh, I'm hearing by the way.

In fact, I still don't understand why these closed minded hearing people freaked out about deafness, but don't mind blindness??? This does not even make any sense to me at all!

Don't know where you got that from. Most people you ask if they'd rather be deaf or blind will say deaf. The average person thinks blindness is worse.

:whistle:

I get my car keys

Walk to my car

Open the door

Get in

Start the car

Put it in "D"

Press the gas pedal

Sometimes I do not

I put the car on "P"

I open the door

I get out

I close the door

I go on my merry way.

Funny. I drive that way too and I'm not deaf. Wow, who'd-a-thunk-it?:laugh2:

I drive the same way any person with good hearing drive! And because I am HOH I use my rear view and sides mirrors more often. Why are people so hung up on how deaf and HOH people drive?

Back