How do Deaf people drive?

There are two different types of devices that you are confused together. One is called transmitter which sends signal to traffic light control modules to turn it into green. That is illegal for anyone to get it. Second one is receivers, which is perfect legal for anyone getting one. What that does is getting signal from the transmitter and alert you of upcoming emergency vehicle or trigger the traffic light to turn green for them. Either way.

Where could I find something like this? Also, how do I find info on it?

Where could I find something like this? Also, how do I find info on it?

I already looked, it appears that a few companies that made these devices went out of business a few years ago. I did not see any reports of any of these 'devices' being illegal like Banjo claims. Still would like to know more on that.

I've heard that deaf people are actually safer drivers, because they don't get distracted by sounds like hearing people do. Driving is a very visual activity, and we are very visual people.

The only problem is that these devices you're speaking of are illegal in a lot of places.

I would be interested in knowing what these devices are to help us 'hear' the sirens when they go off. As a driver, I think it is scary to not be able to know that there is an emergency vehicle coming up fast behind me or a police car speeding up to go past me. Please advise. I have never seen anything that adapts for us to use in our vehicles.

There is a great 'device' we can use and it right in our cars , it's called the rear view mirror ! You should check it while driving to see if any ER vehicle coming up behind and you would also see other drivers pulling over . This should be a clue to you to check your rear view mirror fast . You should also check from time to time to see if any fool is tailgating you too.

I actually have to agree with that. I think us deaf people automatically use their rear view mirror to watch for activity going on. I always do.

I do - the rearview mirror. I check it all the time. I have it set so I can see easily and quickly back behind me without moving my head much at all, so I can still have eyes on front. I also have side mirrors set similar. I agree with WDYS and AC. In driving school - adult driving, didn't learn to drive in high school - they really insisted you check and double-check the rear view mirror...reminded me of that seemed like every few minutes.

Same here I can take a fast look in my rearview mirror b/c I have set this way and I am always watching cars around me, other drivers can hear the siren long before I can and start to move over or
how do blind people drive?
In a driverless car !

While the use of rearview mirrors is enough, it can't hurt to have extra devices that can flash a light on the dashboard as well. I don't know what they are or if there really are devices like that.

WDYS said:
mikemike said:
how do blind people drive?
In a driverless car !

a driverless car is not even an option right now! Totally blind people cannot drive so-- public transportation, walking, other people driving, taxis, Uber... Some low vision people can drive no problem but there is a limit- I believe 20/70 with or without glasses.

While the use of rearview mirrors is enough, it can't hurt to have extra devices that can flash a light on the dashboard as well. I don't know what they are or if there really are devices like that.

a driverless car is not even an option right now! Totally blind people cannot drive so-- public transportation, walking, other people driving, taxis, Uber... Some low vision people can drive no problem but there is a limit- I believe 20/70 with or without glasses.
Actually, blind people don't drive in your scenarios or WDYS's. They get rides from others. ;)

Back