Houses...wtf?

It could still be fixable with good return for a lot of work if you could manage to further beat the price down.
Sometimes you can straighten up the house, fix the foundation and make it work. the big question is, can it be fixed?
If the foundation can be fixed, then the rest is how much the renovation would cost. how much the house would cost.
There is the roof. there is the chimney.
you already have a lot of new nice cabinets, nice floors that could be carefully removed, set aside and put back after.
new windows?, nice siding. the landscaping sucks.
If the house price will be low enough that after the renovation the selling point will bring profit, is still doable.
Lots of works, though, LOTS.

Of course, it is hard to say for sure from just looking at the pictures. I have no idea how deep the crack in foundation goes or why.
how is plumbing, wiring, ventilation system, heating etc etc
is everything up to the current code.

Fuzzy

also thinking about it, none of the foundation walls are filled with concrete otherwise they would not be cracking like they are, so they have to be hollow still? Might be a big red flag right there.

how old is the house?

Fuzzy

From the price, it's obvious that it isn't located in California!
Or in Massauchettes! I looked up my house I owned in Berkeley and it last sold for $200,000 plus . It was build in the 1800's

I think it's priced like that for mainly poor condition it is in. and then perhaps not very desirable neighborhood?...
I would try to knock further 7-8 thou down off the price. hopefully they'd agree to 5 thou, which would cover some reno.

I agree it is a risky undertaking, still.
why is the foundation is such horrible condition? was it in bad quality to begin with, or the additions ruined it?

Fuzzy

I think it's priced like that for mainly poor condition it is in. and then perhaps not very desirable neighborhood?...
I would try to knock further 7-8 thou down off the price. hopefully they'd agree to 5 thou, which would cover some reno.

I agree it is a risky undertaking, still.
why is the foundation is such horrible condition? was it in bad quality to begin with, or the additions ruined it?

Fuzzy
From what I can see, its just under the carport it broke and pushed out as it was not filled with concrete and the downhill weight pushing on it. I strongly believe that there were no permits pulled for any of this work from the looks of it? Im very leary to proceed. Think Im gonna pass on it and keep looking as I dont want to do any more work of this extreme

hmm 86 y o house. that's pretty old. for that old a house, this is sure is no heritage piece worth keeping for it's 'character',
since there is no character at all!
so it looks like a cheap job from the start finished with as cheap and unqualified result. scary indeed, what to expect.
if it's the land that is valuable, it could well mean demolishing and building a brand new house might be a better idea.
but, you never know.
if my advice is worth anything (we renovated two houses from scratch) I would contact an structural engineer rather than contractor.
but you probably already know that.

Fuzzy

hmm 86 y o house. that's pretty old. for that old a house, this is sure is no heritage piece worth keeping for it's 'character',
since there is no character at all!
so it looks like a cheap job from the start finished with as cheap and unqualified result. scary indeed, what to expect.
if it's the land that is valuable, it could well mean demolishing and building a brand new house might be a better idea.
but, you never know.
if my advice is worth anything (we renovated two houses from scratch) I would contact an structural engineer rather than contractor.
but you probably already know that.

Fuzzy
I worked in Building Division for several years, so I know the general aspect of most issues structurally and yes this looks like a cheap job, they were basically dressing up a turd, and the turd was still exposed in the rear. They dressed the face up in front to make it look nice but they went backwards doing the inside first then didnt get the exterior finished so it exposed the cover up. Inspectors dont remove stuff and by law cant, but this left a lot of exposed damages, if the siding was on it would have hid 99% of it all but the corner of the foundation. I there is no requirements then I can see why, but I am assuming that no permits were pulled on anything that was done to this property. A dead end street, no trafffic what so ever, its easy to knock a project out without an inspector stalking you. And as long as the neighbors arent calling on you, easy to get away with murder there.

I worked in Building Division for several years, so I know the general aspect of most issues structurally and yes this looks like a cheap job, they were basically dressing up a turd, and the turd was still exposed in the rear. They dressed the face up in front to make it look nice but they went backwards doing the inside first then didnt get the exterior finished so it exposed the cover up. Inspectors dont remove stuff and by law cant, but this left a lot of exposed damages, if the siding was on it would have hid 99% of it all but the corner of the foundation. I there is no requirements then I can see why, but I am assuming that no permits were pulled on anything that was done to this property. A dead end street, no trafffic what so ever, its easy to knock a project out without an inspector stalking you. And as long as the neighbors arent calling on you, easy to get away with murder there.
Did the seller really think that a buyer wouldn't do a walk around the house and not check out the back too??

I agree, that's exactly what happened.
They were trying to blind the potential buyer with shiny bling-bling put on broken bones, to sum it up.

What if you hire out for foundation work?
My guess is, since this house is so bad, what happened is they tried to make it look good after the biggest cracks happened
and the price plummeted from already bad price. I figure, if the around is as nice as you say and the acreage is good, there is no reason for the houses not to be in the range of 120K and up.
so will this one if you fix it up nice, suppose you spend 40-50thou on reno you still will make nice profit.
but of course it's a huge risk, who knows what may pop up once you rip the walls and floors off. yikes.
perhaps yeah, best to pass on the house.
heck I don't know the challenging bone in me is tempted but lol it's not my money :)

Fuzzy

Did the seller really think that a buyer wouldn't do a walk around the house and not check out the back too??

You would be surprised how unaware and experienced first time buyers could be.
They some see a huge gap in the bearing wall and mutter/think "oh, a crack, I will buy a cement and just patch it up. easy". :eek2:

Fuzzy

Outside, I dont see too much that would be an issues other than the deck attachement and cracks. Some flashing and siding will fix that, but the foundation once pulled its a domino effect with the dirt behind it after that so a big job and costly. Interior, being the entire floor plan was re arranged, Im guessing nothing is to code? My agent and I are still currious to do a walk through when we can, but I am eyeing another property that may be better ? 25K

Those trees against the back wall can't be good. What are their roots doing to the foundation?

I noticed that-- at least one tree was flush up against the wall. Really odd place for a tree. Kind of curious how it came to be that way. IF the foundation is okay(once you find out), the tree(s) might be easy enough to remove.

Definitely get up in the attic to see where and how the roof is built not to mention any damage that's not shown on the outside.

The only thing that looks fairly new is the basketball hoop ! I bet you can buy for cheaper than 34K ! :giggle:
Question about condos... If it says there is a fee of $185 that includes heat, water sewer and trash, is that a monthly fee? I am assuming it is on top of the standard loan payment. There are a couple nice ones, but Im really unsure if Id own one since theres no garages and basically confined to an "apartment" which kinda sucks for me.

Question about condos... If it says there is a fee of $185 that includes heat, water sewer and trash, is that a monthly fee? I am assuming it is on top of the standard loan payment. There are a couple nice ones, but Im really unsure if Id own one since theres no garages and basically confined to an "apartment" which kinda sucks for me.
No heat and water may not be includes in the condo , some condos have heater in each unit the owner pay this on their own. When I moved to my condo
the heat was included in the condo and the condo fee was increase when the cost of heat went up. The condo association decide it would be more fair to have us pay the heat separately from the condo fee , there is only one heater in each building so the bill get divided 4 ways . We don't pay for the trash in our condo fee , it in our taxes . Every condo association is run difference and the newer condos units have heater and washer and dryers . I would tell you not buy a condo if you don't like having a lot of rules and an condo association is only as good as the people running it and there will be people that are not very good running it.
I would rather be able to live in my own house b/c I hate having to follow rules . Some how I can't picture you being happy in a condo .

No heat and water may not be includes in the condo , some condos have heater in each unit the owner pay this on their own. When I moved to my condo
the heat was included in the condo and the condo fee was increase when the cost of heat went up. The condo association decide it would be more fair to have us pay the heat separately from the condo fee , there is only one heater in each building so the bill get divided 4 ways . We don't pay for the trash in our condo fee , it in our taxes . Every condo association is run difference and the newer condos units have heater and washer and dryers . I would tell you not buy a condo if you don't like having a lot of rules and an condo association is only as good as the people running it and there will be people that are not very good running it.
I would rather be able to live in my own house b/c I hate having to follow rules . Some how I can't picture you being happy in a condo .
I agree, I dont like apartments anyways. But the condo is very nice and well kept. The 185 fee includes everything but electric, and the heat is gas that is included in the fee. The heating is gas but the condos are all electric so its really the only utility bll we would have besides cable/internet. I mean as a last resort maybe then I wont have to do crap ( cut grass, paint...ect...) but thats not me and would drive me crazy.

I agree, I dont like apartments anyways. But the condo is very nice and well kept. The 185 fee includes everything but electric, and the heat is gas that is included in the fee. The heating is gas but the condos are all electric so its really the only utility bll we would have besides cable/internet. I mean as a last resort maybe then I wont have to do crap ( cut grass, paint...ect...) but thats not me and would drive me crazy.
I agree you would have less to worry about but I think you're your own man and just can't see you being told what you can't and can do. When I moved to my condo
I was washing my car this is something I always did and I was told we can't wash our cars here . I guess you could try renting out a condo for year and see how you
like living in one . Living in a condo is not me either .

Would depend. Not all condo places are the same regarding rules and what you can or can't do. I have one friend in MO who is hoping to get out of where she is now because the condo board is...just...bad. Don't want to get into the details but from what I know it's awful. But I've seen good and nice condos as well- friend of mine in MD had her condo for many years (at least 20), I don't know if she is still living there or she sold it and moved to her husband's place....

I wouldn't mind condos or apartments much. I just keep to myself in general and don't mind rules. The HOAs I've heard of are even worse... and I don't see myself doing well with a house at all...too old and just as well anyway. Can't afford one plus I move (or moved in the past) too much lol.

Would depend. Not all condo places are the same regarding rules and what you can or can't do. I have one friend in MO who is hoping to get out of where she is now because the condo board is...just...bad. Don't want to get into the details but from what I know it's awful. But I've seen good and nice condos as well- friend of mine in MD had her condo for many years (at least 20), I don't know if she is still living there or she sold it and moved to her husband's place....

I wouldn't mind condos or apartments much. I just keep to myself in general and don't mind rules. The HOAs I've heard of are even worse... and I don't see myself doing well with a house at all...too old and just as well anyway. Can't afford one plus I move (or moved in the past) too much lol.
I will never ever ever buy another house with a HOA... ( my second house had one) and I was about to go local on that one !

Back