Hotel friendly?

Tomck87

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member.

I would like your help if possible.

I've recently interacted to a profoundly deaf person in regards to hotel friendliness/ lack of for deaf people. I was shocked to find out they have had poor experiences in hotels when it comes to safety. What I'm mainly referring too is if there was a fire alarm there isn't a facility in the room to make a profoundly deaf person aware straight away. This was also mentioned around room cleaners coming into the room as the person in the room was unaware from a knock at the door. I'm sure there are other issues people may of had within hotels and I would like to hear your experiences.

Apologies for any ignorance shown into the wording of this post, no offence meant,

Thank you!

hello-
What state do you live in? In Texas, the fire department sell them. You can contact the fire department near your hotel, so they will give you information on deaf friendly fire alarms and carbon dioxide alarms. You can buy them online. If you are not sure, fire inspectors will help you with that.

I know some of the big name hotels are now offering heading accessible rooms. Look for where they have "accessible rooms" when searching for a room then click on that and they'll show you mobility and hearing accessible rooms. Sometimes they're the same room, sometimes they'll be separate. The rooms will have flashing smoke alarms and maybe a doorbell that flashes a light.

I know some of the big name hotels are now offering heading accessible rooms. Look for where they have "accessible rooms" when searching for a room then click on that and they'll show you mobility and hearing accessible rooms. Sometimes they're the same room, sometimes they'll be separate. The rooms will have flashing smoke alarms and maybe a doorbell that flashes a light.

That's genius. Names???

That's genius. Names???

I've stayed in Marriott several times and some of them have the Deaf friendly rooms such as doorbell alert and fire alarms. Although I don't see as many hotels have it.. hopefully in future more hotels have accommodation like this for Deaf community.

Maybe Holiday Inn or similar have them too... I haven't seen one yet.

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 5.21.07 AM.png

I've stayed in Marriott several times and some of them have the Deaf friendly rooms such as doorbell alert and fire alarms. Although I don't see as many hotels have it.. hopefully in future more hotels have accommodation like this for Deaf community.

Maybe Holiday Inn or similar have them too... I haven't seen one yet.

View attachment 28177

Thanks for sharing! Its been a while since I stayed at Marriott. When I travel, I always stay at friend's or family's places. I think it would be great to spread this awareness.

Thanks for sharing! Its been a while since I stayed at Marriott. When I travel, I always stay at friend's or family's places. I think it would be great to spread this awareness.

A little off topic but I keep seeing ads that combine specials for airfare and hotel. Have you found any good deals when not needing a hotel?

The one's I know for sure are Hilton properties, IHG (Holiday Inn, etc), and Marriott. Hilton and IHG let you indicate you want to see accessible rooms up front. The last time I looked at Marriott, you had to chose a room first and then some point in the process you got to tell them you want an accessible room. Drury Inns (which are "new" to me) also has accessible rooms.

Now, I can't say every Hilton property, IHG property, etc offer accessible rooms for deaf/HoH, but most if not all the one's that I've looked had them.

A little off topic but I keep seeing ads that combine specials for airfare and hotel. Have you found any good deals when not needing a hotel?

If you purchase a ticket from any airline company, you usually register for points and good deals. I always get good deals through the emails from airline companies plus the points I earned. It works for me. I prefer Delta, JetBlue and Southwest.

While I was researching for my project, about improving hospitality towards the deaf, I discovered all the ways that deaf people were mistreated. It is quite unreasonable how unwilling some places are to help others. I also found this true for restaurants, movie theatres, and many other places. As a hearing person, I am quite disappointed with how my community treats the deaf community.

Back