Hot!

H.o.H_Angel

Reaction score
My laptop keeps getting hot. Very hot. I have a cooling fan, but it is not working.

Is you laptop new or old as overtime the heatsinks and fans get clogged with dust causing them to run hot and possibly cause damage, i would recommends getting a tech to clean it for you

I would get the laptop checked out because you don't want to have electrical problems.

You can also buy a lap desk/cooling pad which is plastic and has a usb fan that will take the heat out.

Still, I recommend you get it checked out.

Is you laptop new or old as overtime the heatsinks and fans get clogged with dust causing them to run hot and possibly cause damage, i would recommends getting a tech to clean it for you

My laptops fairly new still...I've had it for about 2 years

I would get the laptop checked out because you don't want to have electrical problems.

You can also buy a lap desk/cooling pad which is plastic and has a usb fan that will take the heat out.

Still, I recommend you get it checked out.

I have a USB cooling mat, but I will see if there is a place in my town that can do it...Geek Squad can take care of that right?

I do not think my laptops outdated it is Windows 7 and runs really fast. I still have half my storage...It just keeps getting hot. :/

Two years is a long time and plenty of time for things to get clogged up inside

I have a USB cooling mat, but I will see if there is a place in my town that can do it...Geek Squad can take care of that right?

I've never used geek squad, but I do think someplace like a Microcenter or even Best Buy should be able to handle it. Depending on the cost, consider upgrading because with the today dual core, multi threaded systems today it is a big difference from older systems. Other than that, if it is cheap and the comp still does what you need I see no reason to get rid of it.

I've had my laptop for 7 years and I don't need a new one, but eventually this power cord is going to go on me again and I have to think about cost as to whether it is worth it to replace to cord or move to a new system.

My laptop keeps getting hot. Very hot. I have a cooling fan, but it is not working.

Are you sure its the computer and not you? :giggle:

Oh wait, my bad... we are in the computer section.

If this laptop was in my hands, I would take it a part to see if the CPU cooling fan (and thermal heat sink) are clean and clear (good airflow). Geek Squad can help with that. My old laptop always got too hot to use on my lap, but that was how that laptop always was. Make sure you always have good airflow around the base of the laptop. Do not use the laptop on the bed where the sheets can hold in the heat and inhibit the flow of air. And great idea to use a cooling mat. I also use a USB cooling mat and it works great!

It's always a good idea to have a backup of your data, especially if you think the laptop might be overheating.

One other thought, you may be able to slow down the CPU so it doesn't get so hot. You may be able to do this with software provided by the laptop manufacturer or you there may be an option in the BIOS. The drawback is this slows down the computer and you might be waiting for things to happen where you didn't before.

I've never used geek squad, but I do think someplace like a Microcenter or even Best Buy should be able to handle it. Depending on the cost, consider upgrading because with the today dual core, multi threaded systems today it is a big difference from older systems. Other than that, if it is cheap and the comp still does what you need I see no reason to get rid of it.

I've had my laptop for 7 years and I don't need a new one, but eventually this power cord is going to go on me again and I have to think about cost as to whether it is worth it to replace to cord or move to a new system.

You should try Amazon for a power cord

Hey, Hey now Cheetah you have a girlfriend. You can't say things like that. :laugh2: :P I have a Targus mat, but it is not as good as the one I bought my sister for her birthday. I think I will upgrade the mat when I go to get my laptop cleaned/fixed.

Hey, Hey now Cheetah you have a girlfriend. You can't say things like that. :laugh2: :P I have a Targus mat, but it is not as good as the one I bought my sister for her birthday. I think I will upgrade the mat when I go to get my laptop cleaned/fixed.

What?!?! I have a girlfriend... oh yeah, I guess I do. :Oops: :lol:

I never used a cooling mat before, then this last Christmas my gf got one and I used it probably more than she did. Looks like I might owe her a new one!!! :P

I used to my laptop. Yes, It run too hot. I use to spraying an air nozzle wipe dust off from fan and re-paste a Thermal Compund on processor chip. I download a third party software for CPU temp and if cooling fan's RPM speed is unable. replace new stock cooling fan.

1161d1095362774-average-cpu-temp-clipboard01.jpg

I prefer to desktop computer with installed 4 to 6 extra cooling fans or water cooling system in case for high end gamer.

I used to my laptop. Yes, It run too hot. I use to spraying an air nozzle wipe dust off from fan and re-paste a Thermal Compund on processor chip. I download a third party software for CPU temp and if cooling fan's RPM speed is unable. replace new stock cooling fan.

I prefer to desktop computer with installed 4 to 6 extra cooling fans or water cooling system in case for high end gamer.

Some good suggestions, especially for desktops.
Some not possible with laptop. Software is dependent on motherboard brand.

Oh wait, my bad... we are in the computer section.

If this laptop was in my hands, I would take it a part to see if the CPU cooling fan (and thermal heat sink) are clean and clear (good airflow). Geek Squad can help with that. My old laptop always got too hot to use on my lap, but that was how that laptop always was. Make sure you always have good airflow around the base of the laptop. Do not use the laptop on the bed where the sheets can hold in the heat and inhibit the flow of air. And great idea to use a cooling mat. I also use a USB cooling mat and it works great!

It's always a good idea to have a backup of your data, especially if you think the laptop might be overheating.

One other thought, you may be able to slow down the CPU so it doesn't get so hot. You may be able to do this with software provided by the laptop manufacturer or you there may be an option in the BIOS. The drawback is this slows down the computer and you might be waiting for things to happen where you didn't before.

Maybe you are the one who is hot? With that red hot fire hair of yours? :hmm:

I am 100% agreed with him.

I did same thing for most customers due thick dusts cause from heavy smoke, animals, and dirty area.

Back