Hostile society of the hearing people

I have to agree with you, blaqueinque. There are lots of hearing people who are really hostile whether normal or not normal like the above statements.

I was watching the Youtube of a wheelchair bound man who was trying to board on the train and he needed help with a couple of employees working on the train to lift him up on the train. He was shocked that they refused to help him and told him to go in the next train later. He was being discriminated because of his handicapped. This was taken in Great Britain (England or Scotland, I don't remember which).

There are other Youtubes proving that there were very hostile to any kind of disabilities no matter what. It happened and still happen all over the world. That is awful and terrible at the way treating us not being human beings. :(

May I speak up here? There's a difference between what you're saying and what the OP is saying. Yes, people refuse to help when they feel like they cannot be arsed or someone else can do the job. Wheelchair users get horrid treatments when it come to public transits and requiring people to lift them. Compound that with the fact mothers with strollers, who refuse to fold up, also have the same need. Yeaaah. But I think what the others are referring to are the notetakers in class, the deferred assignments, gifts from bosses and other things that are easy for people to do without a second thought.

However, speaking as a deafblind, most people think I am lying or joking when I say I am deaf mostly because I speak. Same as if I say I am blind or low vision because I can still navigate without a cane. However if I bring out the white cane, people are sickeningly helpful and are intruding on my personal freedom. They would help me across the street without asking me if I wanted to cross or what direction I would be crossing in. I don't use a cane anymore out on the streets for this reason.

However, if I am deaf, people just ignore me. Sometimes they go out of their way to see if I am actually deaf or not, or make up rude mime signs just to test the water.

I know. So why are some of them CC at 3:00 am and CNN is not?

Good question. :P

+1

I don't know, but, it might be the amt of money that is being paid for that commercial. Some of these damn things are "infomercials", so they'll want the deaf person to understand what's being said in the hopes that they'll buy their products. :dunno: That's kind of a guess, but, it would make sense; even if it's stupid as hell!

Sometimes, yes. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that those disabilites are obvious. Deafness is a "hidden disability." Also, those others do not really affect communication. Deafness does. Many people just do not have the patience they need to deal with communication problems.

I was walking with my dog one day and a person in a car was trying to get
my attention as she needed directions. She was getting really angry at me for not answering her, and I was trying to tell I could not hear her. I was not going in get in the middle of the street with my dog . Boy that woman was so pissed at at me that she would not listen to what I was trying to tell her. When someone in car ask me for directions now I just say I do not know. I think if I had in a W/C and HOH that woman would not gotten so pissed off.

May I speak up here? There's a difference between what you're saying and what the OP is saying. Yes, people refuse to help when they feel like they cannot be arsed or someone else can do the job. Wheelchair users get horrid treatments when it come to public transits and requiring people to lift them. Compound that with the fact mothers with strollers, who refuse to fold up, also have the same need. Yeaaah. But I think what the others are referring to are the notetakers in class, the deferred assignments, gifts from bosses and other things that are easy for people to do without a second thought.

However, speaking as a deafblind, most people think I am lying or joking when I say I am deaf mostly because I speak. Same as if I say I am blind or low vision because I can still navigate without a cane. However if I bring out the white cane, people are sickeningly helpful and are intruding on my personal freedom. They would help me across the street without asking me if I wanted to cross or what direction I would be crossing in. I don't use a cane anymore out on the streets for this reason.

However, if I am deaf, people just ignore me. Sometimes they go out of their way to see if I am actually deaf or not, or make up rude mime signs just to test the water.

I have had people ask me why the Deafblind kids I work with need my support... "How can she be Deafblind? She can see (or hear)..." They DON'T get that she has enough of a visual loss, and enough hearing loss that she misses out on vital information, because she can't fill in any gaps with the other sense. When I sign to her, I need to be within about 1 1/2 feet of her. She can't, at 10 feet, tell her mom from any other blond people with long hair. She can't hear everything that is said to her, even with hearing aids AND an FM system... she needs to also have everything signed so that all the "gaps" are filled in. But because she can walk down the hallway (as long as it is clear) without holding my hand, and she can hear if I call her name from a few feet away (It's familiar to her, so she knows!), she isn't "really" deafblind.

Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.
oh yes... ALL hearing people are hostile to ALL deaf people. Come on man... :cool2:

Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?
I like to go find a blind person and kick them in the knee then watch them fumble around as they are trying to figure out who did it. When I see a person in a wheelchair I put a stick between their spokes so then can't move. COME ON MAN!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Hostile???? :cool2:

The problem with most people is all or nothing. They don't think in betweens. They think you must be all deaf or all hearing, all blind or all sighted, all wheelchair bound or all abled bodied, they never think of betweens like hard of hearing, low vision, part blind, part able to walk but very tiring and use wheelchair instead etc.

I was walking with my dog one day and a person in a car was trying to get
my attention as she needed directions. She was getting really angry at me for not answering her, and I was trying to tell I could not hear her. I was not going in get in the middle of the street with my dog . Boy that woman was so pissed at at me that she would not listen to what I was trying to tell her. When someone in car ask me for directions now I just say I do not know. I think if I had in a W/C and HOH that woman would not gotten so pissed off.

Yep, I remember in summer I went out cycling and got off the bike to cross the road, taxi stopped in the road just outside of roundabout (that is defo NOT allowed) to ask me for directions. I had no idea what the driver was saying and just shake my head. He looks so angry and zoomed off.

The problem with most people is all or nothing. They don't think in betweens. They think you must be all deaf or all hearing, all blind or all sighted, all wheelchair bound or all abled bodied, they never think of betweens like hard of hearing, low vision, part blind, part able to walk but very tiring and use wheelchair instead etc.

Yep, I remember in summer I went out cycling and got off the bike to cross the road, taxi stopped in the road just outside of roundabout (that is defo NOT allowed) to ask me for directions. I had no idea what the driver was saying and just shake my head. He looks so angry and zoomed off.

That's so true. My mother told me that her maid asked her once if I was deaf at because I could hear her some of the time.

I like to go find a blind person and kick them in the knee then watch them fumble around as they are trying to figure out who did it. When I see a person in a wheelchair I put a stick between their spokes so then can't move. COME ON MAN!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Hostile???? :cool2:

Wow, butthurt much?

Yiz

That is true for the most part (as it applies to blind or deaf people). However, most people with a physical disablity, it IS all or nothing. They either can or cannot walk unaided. I'm one who can't. I've also never been able to. At my age (42), I'm lucky that I can still bear weight on my legs, but, there will come a time where even that will be impossible. ( I can stand holding onto something for about 30 secs before I fatigue and will fall). I'm close to losing that ability, though.

Spina bifida is NOT progressive, but, what is happening to me is simply age. My muscles are atrophying and are weaker than they used to be. Weight is also an issue with me. As time goes by, I'll become less and less mobile. It's just the way that ball bounced for me.

Spina bifida is NOT progressive, but, what is happening to me is simply age. My muscles are atrophying and are weaker than they used to be. Weight is also an issue with me. As time goes by, I'll become less and less mobile. It's just the way that ball bounced for me.

You're right, spina bifida is not progressive, it's a congenital defect. My oldest sister has it, but she doesn't require clutches or any assistance. She had surgeries done on her spine a few times in the past. It has been a couple decades since she had a surgery on it. She doesn't need one anytime soon.

She's nearing 40 and nobody would know she has it.

However, the effects of spina bifida varies from individual to individual. In some cases, it's so severe that it results in mental handicap. We knew at least one who died from complications, she was a teenager at the time. She was a friend of my oldest sister. It was back in the 80s, I believe.

You're right, spina bifida is not progressive, it's a congenital defect. My oldest sister has it, but she doesn't require clutches or any assistance. She had surgeries done on her spine a few times in the past. It has been a couple decades since she had a surgery on it. She doesn't need one anytime soon.

She's nearing 40 and nobody would know she has it.

However, the effects of spina bifida varies from individual to individual. In some cases, it's so severe that it results in mental handicap. We knew at least one who died from complications, she was a teenager at the time. She was a friend of my oldest sister. It was back in the 80s, I believe.

:gpost:

That is true. It can vary from person to person, and, there are 3 types. I'm not sure what type your sister has, but, I was born with the most severe type. When I was born, you could literally see into my back and see the spinal cord, nerves, ect. I had surgery to close my spine at a few days old. I've also had many surgeries since. I've never been able to walk unaided and don't walk now.

I've also had friends who've died from complications. This one guy I knew died from scoliosis complications. His back was curved to such a degree that it crowded his lungs. This caused problems with breathing and led to infections. He died of pneumonia.

Back