Hostile society of the hearing people

I have to agree with you, blaqueinque. There are lots of hearing people who are really hostile whether normal or not normal like the above statements.

I was watching the Youtube of a wheelchair bound man who was trying to board on the train and he needed help with a couple of employees working on the train to lift him up on the train. He was shocked that they refused to help him and told him to go in the next train later. He was being discriminated because of his handicapped. This was taken in Great Britain (England or Scotland, I don't remember which).

There are other Youtubes proving that there were very hostile to any kind of disabilities no matter what. It happened and still happen all over the world. That is awful and terrible at the way treating us not being human beings. :(

I'm not sure how to respond to this. I believe you, Bebonang. It's just not been in my experience. Most of the people I've ever encountered have been overly nice to the point of being sickening sweet and condescending. Of course, I'm talking about adults. As a child and teen, I encountered a ton of bullies who were mean as snakes, but, that's another subject.

I guess it takes all kinds.

Oh wait! I DO remember ONE time as a teenager in which a woman was hostile as hell because Mom parked in a handicapped spot. I was with her as we had gone Christmas shopping, and, the wheelchair was clearly visible in the back of our car. This woman was SO irate that my Mother had taken "her spot". She actually threatened my Mom as I sat in the backseat taking all this in. I was a very young teen at the time (maybe 12?) It was quite traumatic to watch this happen. I guess I blacked it out. :dunno:

So, as I said, it does happen. But, for the most part, I encountered the overly nice, condenscending type of person.

No, I don't think so...there are some hearing people who are hostile to people regardless if hearing, deaf, blind, wheelchair bound or other...they are truly equal opportunity hostile people.
I agree with this. I think that there are always going to be people who are going to be mean, or rude, or condescending just because they think that they are better than anyone whom they see as "different". It doesn't matter to them what that difference is.

I also agree with the people who expressed frustration with being "prayed" for... I have been told, on more than one occasion, that my son will be "cured", "made whole" or "fixed" when he goes to Heaven. WTH???? He doesn't have a disease that needs curing, he isn't less than a whole person, and he isn't broken. Hopefully he's not Heaven-bound any time soon, and when he does eventually get there, I imagine God will be quite please with His handiwork, not rushing to change what and who my son is. Unbelievably ignorant... and these are the same people who believe that deafness needs fixing. What the Hell do they know?! :thumbd:

Some hearing are nasty to Deaf but are kind towards wheelchair people etc. Some hearing are nice to Deaf. It depends on the person.

I noticed that when I was growing up, girls was far more nasty and judgmental than boys was and boys was far more accepting with Deaf. Not all girls was like that, some was. All the bullies I had came from the girls, none of them came from the boys. Strange.

I did not feel welcome when I went to the office for deaf and hoh in college for help. I did not know how to sign and there were only deaf students in the office and they did not act nice toward me . I was trying to get a note taker for one of my class.

I think hearing people as a whole feel uncomfortable around D/deaf people because being able to hear is something that they cannot minutely begin to comprehend how they can live without. People are generally afraid of things they don't understand and, more often than not, react in a way that is not favourable. I know that there are some hearing people who genuinely do their best to understand, but this is not the majority.
I think some of it is just that some people have that "guarded" nature. That is they're just not very expressive or would rather communicate "through their ears" rather than making face to face contact. Or would rather communicate from a distance than close upfront.

And may sense they'd need to get out of their "comfort zone" in order to communicate with the deaf or those with an hearing loss and may not feel too comfortable with it. And that it may not be personal, just their nature.

ICK! I get the same damn thing. "I'm so sorry . I'll pray for you..." :barf:

And, I wonder the same thing. I :ugh3: as I contemplate what to say to that person. Usually, it's "Thank you." Then, I leave, thinking..."Wow, that sucked!"

I had that once when I was young kid, I think around 10 years old by lady, middle aged. I remember it quite well cos I thought it funny and weird thing to say. When she says she will pray for me etc, I just said back to her "I pray for you to get a brain so you can get some intelligence!" I can't remember if I was alone or with someone and where it is.

I did not feel welcome when I went to the office for deaf and hoh in college for help. I did not know how to sign and there were only deaf students in the office and they did not act nice toward me . I was trying to get a note taker for one of my class.

Thats a real shame. I never met any Deaf was rude to me or anything, all of them so far been nice to me. Just bad luck you met those deaf being rude or maybe they having bad day.

I had that once when I was young kid, I think around 10 years old by lady, middle aged. I remember it quite well cos I thought it funny and weird thing to say. When she says she will pray for me etc, I just said back to her "I pray for you to get a brain so you can get some intelligence!" I can't remember if I was alone or with someone and where it is.

Thats a real shame. I never met any Deaf was rude to me or anything, all of them so far been nice to me. Just bad luck you met those deaf being rude or maybe they having bad day.

I'm curious how she communicate with them. I know some deaf get label as being rude when they really aren't but I don't know if it is the case with her as office employees can be rude and deaf people are no exceptional. But there are deaf people who are just plain rude no matter what but I haven't experience that yet. I can't tell if the deaf students were just plain rude (I don't know the whole story) or they do certain way to avoid confusion. When we were doing ebay, husband was creating confusion to the highest bidder and she was having hard time getting everything under control. So she straight out and told him what to do and what NOT to do because she have ADHD. he doing what alot of people usually do, but this bidder has set her own rules on how to handle things. She told him to title his email sent to her to certain way, and this and that.

Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.

Sometimes, yes. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that those disabilites are obvious. Deafness is a "hidden disability." Also, those others do not really affect communication. Deafness does. Many people just do not have the patience they need to deal with communication problems.

Sometimes, yes. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that those disabilites are obvious. Deafness is a "hidden disability." Also, those others do not really affect communication. Deafness does. Many people just do not have the patience they need to deal with communication problems.

:gpost: Jillio

The hostility is still alive and well today as it was prior to the gallaudet university protest in the late 1980s. In fact, it's gotten worse now than what it was 20 years ago, based on my personal observation. It is my belief that people have forgotten the protest and we're reverting back to what it was 20 years ago.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "Every generation needs a revolution". So I think we should do protests on the treatment towards the deaf every 10 years just to remind the hearing society that we're still here and we will not allow ourselves to be forgotten.

Yiz

I noticed. :P

The hostility is still alive and well today as it was prior to the gallaudet university protest in the late 1980s. In fact, it's gotten worse now than what it was 20 years ago, based on my personal observation. It is my belief that people have forgotten the protest and we're reverting back to what it was 20 years ago.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "Every generation needs a revolution". So I think we should do protests on the treatment towards the deaf every 10 years just to remind the hearing society that we're still here and we will not allow ourselves to be forgotten.

Yiz

I have notice there was only candidate on TV in my state that had CC on her
ad. All the other candidates had none. I called one candidate at his office and I asked if he was doing anythingto help people that deaf and HOH and i was told on yes the guy is very concerned about this. He is so concerned that he HAS NO CC on any of ads on TV! I guess some candidates think we
do not vote.

Have you noticed that CNN stops captioning after a certain time? I think it is 1 a.m. I watch CNN a lot during my at-home time, and I notice that if I still happen to be up late, CNN stops captioning until the morning. Apparently all deaf people go to bed early.

Have you noticed that CNN stops captioning after a certain time? I think it is 1 a.m. I watch CNN a lot during my at-home time, and I notice that if I still happen to be up late, CNN stops captioning until the morning. Apparently all deaf people go to bed early.

:laugh2: (to note sarcasm).

Obviously, that isn't true. I'm sure there are plenty of deaf people who have night jobs or can't sleep, ect.

Sounds like a good case for a writing campaign to CNN. They should provide captioning 24 hrs a day.

The only legitimate reason I can think of that would preclude this is if a channel is off the air entirely (which happens with a lot of local channels). Since CNN is a cable/satellite channel, they are on air 24 hrs a day; thus should provide captioning 24 hrs a day.

:laugh2: (to note sarcasm).

Obviously, that isn't true. I'm sure there are plenty of deaf people who have night jobs or can't sleep, ect.

Sounds like a good case for a writing campaign to CNN. They should provide captioning 24 hrs a day.

The only legitimate reason I can think of that would preclude this is if a channel is off the air entirely (which happens with a lot of local channels). Since CNN is a cable/satellite channel, they are on air 24 hrs a day; thus should provide captioning 24 hrs a day.

You would think !!! :lol:

I have insomnia so I'm up all hours of the night, and it bugs me that CNN is no longer captioned in the wee hours of the morning. Go figure -- you can find some weight-loss informercial or whatnot at 3:00 am and THAT is captioned.

yes, I used to have a night shift job. When I'm off, there rarely anything on TV anyway.

You would think !!! :lol:

I have insomnia so I'm up all hours of the night, and it bugs me that CNN is no longer captioned in the wee hours of the morning. Go figure -- you can find some weight-loss informercial or whatnot at 3:00 am and THAT is captioned.

Kinda tells you what they consider to be important viewing, doesn't it?

Stupid, though!

Get that writing campaign going. CNN should hear about this crap!

A lot of the TV Commercials don't have CC on them. Deaf people don't buy their products.

Back