Hospital fails - Deaf man suffered

So, I suppose that you just started socializing with Deaf people lately?

I've always socialized with deaf people most of my life. I went to mainstreamed schools and my friends and I sign in SEE. In deaf clubs, I have met a few ASL users but I have no idea how their English is so I had no way of knowing.

I just assumed once you know sign language, you have to know English after all ASL is in English but I understand where you are coming from. ASL isn't straightforward English so it can be difficult for some.

I've always socialized with deaf people most of my life. I went to mainstreamed schools and my friends and I sign in SEE. In deaf clubs, I have met a few ASL users but I have no idea how their English is so I had no way of knowing.

Thats understandable for me. Let me clarify that one, some ASL users DO have excellent english, not all. I do not have good english, so indeed, Im an ASL user. :) Anyway, now you know why interpreters are necessary, as well as Certified Deaf Interpreters. :)

\
I just assumed once you know sign language, you have to know English after all ASL is in English but I understand where you are coming from. ASL isn't straightforward English so it can be difficult for some.

Right, same deal with hearing people who can speak well but can not able to read or write or limited english.

Right, same deal with hearing people who can speak well but can not able to read or write or limited english.

Yes there are hearing people that are illiterate. But I'm thinking that's because they hear the words and learn it. They don't 'see' the words. If you get what I mean. Deaf people, on the other hand, they 'see' signed English or ASL. Not everything is in ASL, some are fingerspelled. With that perspective, I assumed all deaf people know English well enough to communicate on paper and pen. With today's age of technology, it's hard to avoid texting, emails and internet.

Back to topic, it's unfortunate they didn't get an interpreter if they can't understand paper/pen method. 7 months is way too long. I understand not the same day but not 7 months.

...I just assumed once you know sign language, you have to know English after all ASL is in English but I understand where you are coming from. ASL isn't straightforward English so it can be difficult for some.
No, ASL is NOT English.

It's like saying just because a hearing person knows English he ought to also know ASL.

The two languages are not interchangeable.

Thats understandable for me. Let me clarify that one, some ASL users DO have excellent english, not all. I do not have good english, so indeed, Im an ASL user. :) Anyway, now you know why interpreters are necessary, as well as Certified Deaf Interpreters. :)
Some hearing people have English issues, too, believe me.

Your English is fine. :)

Definitely agree about the CDI's.

Yes there are hearing people that are illiterate. But I'm thinking that's because they hear the words and learn it. They don't 'see' the words. If you get what I mean. Deaf people, on the other hand, they 'see' signed English or ASL. Not everything is in ASL, some are fingerspelled. With that perspective, I assumed all deaf people know English well enough to communicate on paper and pen. With today's age of technology, it's hard to avoid texting, emails and internet.

Back to topic, it's unfortunate they didn't get an interpreter if they can't understand paper/pen method. 7 months is way too long. I understand not the same day but not 7 months.
Perhaps you've lived a sheltered life with limited exposure to other socio-economic groups?

Hard for you to believe maybe but there are still people who don't have smart phones, VP's, computers/tablets or the internet. We still have poor people in America, and areas where technology is not accessible.

I said "back to the topic" on my last post.

Let's not turn this thread about me. I stated my opinion. I learned something. End of story.

We don't need another locked thread.

Oh no I didnt mean if it were about you. Out there are some people who thought whatever it was but it wasnt. It is part of educating people included me that i learn everyday. I learned so much from each of you in everything from Deaf issue to Sexual orientation.

I said "back to the topic" on my last post.

Let's not turn this thread about me. I stated my opinion. I learned something. End of story.

We don't need another locked thread.
You posted inaccurate suppositions about deaf people and ASL, so I wanted to correct them.

The OP hasn't complained about my posts so all is well. :)

Responding to the part I bolded: remember that ASL is not in English. They overlap in places, like when you fingerspell, but much of ASL is very different from English - it's not just a non-straightforward version of it: it's a different language.

I agree that there are hearing people who don't have a strong mastery of the english language as well. Some people just aren't born to be strong in languages, and others have backgrounds that make it difficult to become fluent.

But that is different from hearing people who speak well in English, but can't read or write. That's illiteracy: the problem is strictly about the skills of reading or writing, not about knowing the English language.

I also agree that there are Deaf people who have a strong mastery of English, and ASL and other languages.

It's a tricky comparison, because English is a spoken language that also has a written form. As opposed to ASL, a visual language that doesn't really have a spoken or written form.

And (responding to another comment from mangareader) I don't think any of this is inappropriate for the thread (somewhat moot since it's not my thread, but anyway) anyone who thought that ASL was based on English might not think the problem (lack of interpreters) was not serious. So it's good you made your comments and this discussion happened.

It is our deaf people's fault.

We need to give at the hospital's patient relations folks or social worker's office the names of sign language interpreting agencies and/or the name of sign language interpreters.
Don't give them to the nurses or the doctors or the security guard.

The hospitals in my county are prepared. They did provide Terps when I went there for family emergencies.

WHY BLAME OUTSELVES? BE PROACTIVE. Don't wait for das NAD
Really? Of course it's our responsibility to make a request but it's not our responsibility to give them the name of an agency.

I just call the appt center to schedule an appt and make a request for an interpreter. They know what to do next. Therefore it's unacceptable when they ignore my request. That's what happened with this old deaf guy. AUDISM PAYS!

I waited about 5 hours in emergency room for an interpreter in 1999 when I lived on Long Island. I'm sad to hear that this man died waiting for help.

I'm sorry, I had to disagree with this. English is based on audism, not visual. Often the English word has to do with sounds, not visual as opposed as ASL which is intended as visual. Often many hearing people are confused with ASL, that is because they are dependent on one sense, it is called sound. There are many words in English DOES confuses Deaf person easily.

I really don't want continue debate only to derail this thread. Paper and pen is very dangerous communication method when it comes to medical care.

I have met many deaf and no two deaf are the same when it comes to understanding English. Some born deaf never comprehend English-but communication with ASL they are completely fluent. It is not a measure of intelligence, just visual language processes differently than spoken language. Finger spell is fine for names-but spell words not help. I so sad that professionals not understand need for interpreters. Recently met a judge who complained about the cost!

Sickening and saddening at the same time that this happened at today's time and age.

I am subjected to audism every freaking day and know what it is like to be on both sides of the fence. have been denied interpreters at old doctors office and just been emotionally done with the hearing world most of the times.

Just something is not settling right about the news article with the two deaf offspring not knowing. Just something I cannot put my finger on but sickening still that it happened.

Back