Hoping to make some friends!

souptheg

Reaction score
Hello! :)!! My name is Maddie. I'm going to college in Georgia and trying to learn how to skateboard! I am also trying to learn ASL (the goal, of course, is to become fluent)! I love connecting with people, and think it's super important for everyone to learn sign language because it aids in that connection. I am here hoping to talk with people and make some friends :)!! I have been searching for some deaf events around my town and even been posting in my school facebook groups, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of resources or community in this city I live in, that's why I wanted to come here! I've been watching a lot of youtube videos made by deaf creatives, but I just think it'd be awesome to talk with some real people as well!! Also, I am going to school for comics, and am working on an all-ages book about two girls playing racquetball! The main character is profoundly deaf and her best friend is hard of hearing. I know that as a hearing person, it's going to be near impossible for me to represent deaf culture perfectly, so it's extremely important to me that I do the best I can to get it right. I'm hoping that 85-90% of the book will be in sign language and because it's a comic, my hope that it inspires more people to learn ASL and also gives deaf/HoH kids a chance to see themselves in media! I'd love to hear about your guys' experiences, or just talk and get to know each other in general! :)

Back