Honda Civic: "CHECK ENGINE" light on

Yes, but the damage of a broken timing chain.... *shudders* Sooooooo much money.... Soooooo much time.... Had to have the whole head re-done. All 16 valves bent. Thanks non-resistant motor! :roll: In a car with 20k miles on it.... Me thinks someone put my timing chain back on wrong when they were fixing something else... :mad: It's fixed now though thankfully, months and months back, runs great now! :D

You mentioned I snapped a timing chain is I thought you prefer timing chain over timing belt. I never seen broken timing chains in any 2.4 L Toyota/ Scion engines however the loudly timing chains (VVT) in the engines causes insufficient lubricant or lack oil services. Yes timing chained engines are costly to fix...

I wish I'd never heard of a snapping timing chain... :( I really think it was put on incorrectly after the last service I had ( months and months ago excluding oil changes of course ) That's the only way I can figure it would snap. :dunno: Oh well, I paid out thousands of dollars and I have practically a brand new engine that was practically brand new with 20k... :doh: It's in the past, nothing to do about it now except never take it back to that place!

You bitch. But timing chains make more noises than rubber timing belts. I wish I have a newer Honda Civic w/ timing chain then I have no worry or can't hear noisy timing chains...

I prefer timing chain over timing belt because of low maintenance and not worry about break down. My wife's new CX-5 with 2.0L SkyActiv is timing chain and it was not that BAD with noise at high rpm.

Yes, but the damage of a broken timing chain.... *shudders* Sooooooo much money.... Soooooo much time.... Had to have the whole head re-done. All 16 valves bent. Thanks non-resistant motor! :roll: In a car with 20k miles on it.... Me thinks someone put my timing chain back on wrong when they were fixing something else... :mad: It's fixed now though thankfully, months and months back, runs great now! :D

Depend on years and models. Mostly 00's or older were an inference engines and easy to bend the valves if timing was wrong. Around 2002 or newer are a non interference engines that valves to prevent damaging.

techtips1.jpg

I prefer timing chain over timing belt because of low maintenance and not worry about break down. My wife's new CX-5 with 2.0L SkyActiv is timing chain and it was not that BAD with noise at high rpm.

Depend on years and models. Mostly 00's or older were an inference engines and easy to bend the valves if timing was wrong. Around 2002 or newer are a non interference engines that valves to prevent damaging.

techtips1.jpg

Bent all the valves in my 2010.... Pretty messed up crap.... :doh:

Are the city or town near the mountains in Va, required emission inspection? Just curious.

Not sure about Roanoke (Which is 100 miles or so north of me) or Bristol, but I think the only three places in Virginia are the Metropolitan DC area, Richmond area and VA beach area, but I could be wrong. I don't know of any place around me in the western part of the state that does emissions testing.

EDIT: I knew for a fact the DC area of Virginia has it, I remember my father had to get it on his car there and when we moved down here eventually, it wasn't required. Maybe someone from the other areas of the state can fill you in on emissions in their area, but this is all I could find on the DMV's site and it appears from there only the DC area has it.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp

People shouldnt complain about american dealer part prices, i went to my dealer here and they wanted $800 for a part, same one imported from a US dealer shipped to my door $100

Not sure about Roanoke (Which is 100 miles or so north of me) or Bristol, but I think the only three places in Virginia are the Metropolitan DC area, Richmond area and VA beach area, but I could be wrong. I don't know of any place around me in the western part of the state that does emissions testing.

EDIT: I knew for a fact the DC area of Virginia has it, I remember my father had to get it on his car there and when we moved down here eventually, it wasn't required. Maybe someone from the other areas of the state can fill you in on emissions in their area, but this is all I could find on the DMV's site and it appears from there only the DC area has it.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Wow, I read Exemptions article of this link, looks similar to California. This Va emission inspection program is too friendly to me. In Calif, all gas powered vehicles model year 1976 and up are subjected to emission inspection. The model year 1976 is remained same since around mid-1995. Very tight emission measurement in Ca than other states.

People shouldnt complain about american dealer part prices, i went to my dealer here and they wanted $800 for a part, same one imported from a US dealer shipped to my door $100

A tire place broke the plastic part that keeps the key fob attached to the key ring. I went to a local stealership and they said the cost would be like $100-$200, I went online and found a replacement casing for like $5. I just put the internals from the old one into the new casing and good as new.

I had a clip that holds the tube to the wiper fluid reservoir, tiny piece of metal and they charged me like $20 for it. I thought at most like $5 for parts and labour, but nope. $20 for the metal clip and labour on top of that.

In my experiences with stealerships, I have every right to complain about dealer prices. Not sure if it's just a Ford thing or if they all do it, but I suspect they all have this perfidious practice.

A tire place broke the plastic part that keeps the key fob attached to the key ring. I went to a local stealership and they said the cost would be like $100-$200, I went online and found a replacement casing for like $5. I just put the internals from the old one into the new casing and good as new.

I had a clip that holds the tube to the wiper fluid reservoir, tiny piece of metal and they charged me like $20 for it. I thought at most like $5 for parts and labour, but nope. $20 for the metal clip and labour on top of that.

In my experiences with stealerships, I have every right to complain about dealer prices. Not sure if it's just a Ford thing or if they all do it, but I suspect they all have this perfidious practice.

Keys are never cheap as people keep loosing them so the prices are high. I tend to get copys online too as they are a fraction of the price of OEM keys

Keys are never cheap as people keep loosing them so the prices are high. I tend to get copys online too as they are a fraction of the price of OEM keys

Not the key, the plastic case of this only, not the internals, just the plastic exterior shell.

4-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CASE-SHELL-Pad-For-FORD-Mustang-Mercury-Fusion-Focus.jpg_350x350.jpg

They are no cheap to shopping the parts unless you have resale card from your repair shop then they discount prices on the parts. Online orders are much cheapest than dealership.

They are no cheap to shopping the parts unless you have resale card from your repair shop then they discount prices on the parts. Online orders are much cheapest than dealership.

As soon as they quoted that insane price, I went home and found a replacemt casing for $5, just moved the internals to the new case, put it on my keys and good as new.

As soon as they quoted that insane price, I went home and found a replacemt casing for $5, just moved the internals to the new case, put it on my keys and good as new.

I told my service manager someday ago that eBay sell replacement key FOB cases if customer ask for new FOB case. He skip me off to pick up ringing phone. He seem not interesting in new FOB case. One week later he came to me, I like to sell new FOB cases cuz he has been seen broken or cracked FOB cases when pick up it from customer or early bird envelop. We have one new FOB case on hold until customer show up at the service dept. Seem he (service manager) like my idea. I'm not. Thank to Saavik.

Back