Homemade Coffee Snobs

who will donate me an OTTO coffee apparatus? pretty please! its Christmas!

i did a fake purchase and back off closed the page, its 900 AUD...scary..
ottopricestonz.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu that!

You can get a top-tier automatic machine for that price. Baachi is superior to the OTTO anyway at half the price.

And wtf is up with 100$ shipping? From Oz to NZ? That's just a hop skip and jump across the water. :roll:

You can get a top-tier automatic machine for that price. Baachi is superior to the OTTO anyway at half the price.

And wtf is up with 100$ shipping? From Oz to NZ? That's just a hop skip and jump across the water. :roll:

We don't like going over the border! ;-)

still not easy because I don't have a Chef Ramsey-like expert yelling at me and correcting what I'm doing wrong :mad2:

stretching is when the volume of milk increases as milk turns into foam - this is where you have to repeatedly move your cup up and down as milk whirls around. the whole purpose is to "soften" the milk.

texturing is when you create air-to-milk ratio foam... I think.

I've failed in everything. I'm a failure.

Yo Jiro, I have finally figured out how to froth and steam milk correctly every time. The key is to have a LOT of steam pressure aimed to the side of the pitcher and creating a rapid circular flow, so that the milk is whirling around in the pitcher very fast, almost spilling out, but not quite. You also want to have the nozzle just slightly below the surface, but that is not as imperative as the pressure. That fast whirlpool action creates a vortex that acts on all the liquid in the pitcher (as opposed to just the top half) and mixes all the microbubbles together. I was reading articles stating that it took a few minutes to get the milk fully steamed: BALONEY. 45 seconds at the most, I'd say, depending on the quantity of milk.

2% is easier to steam, but whole milk gives and incredible velvety finish when done properly.

McLovin it.

i know, its ridiculous, tax and more tax...

and yup im lookin to save up for a Baachi, it is $485....

saw it somewhere...not easy to find it though...and it will also means id have to invest a little in a decent gasstove top cooker (single or double) to go on bench top as I already have an electric smoothtop (glass) which is not suitable

I did buy green coffee beans once and one of our daughters roasted them in our popcorn popper. She also made me chocolate covered coffee beans for my Christmas stocking one year. MMMMMmmmmmm.

Usually I buy organic coffee beans from a grocery food co-op. I watch for them to go on sale (which they do several times a year), and then I buy five pounds at a time. This way they are cheaper than the cheapest conventional whole beans at the grocery store.

We grind the beans fresh, when we want coffee. We used to grind them in a small coffee mill I picked up for 2 dollars at a thrift shop. My husband works for a grocery store chain and during a recent store switchover, his boss let him take home this commercial coffee grinder:
g1_hd.jpg

We make the coffee in a stainless steel french press. Our first and second french presses were gifts from friends, and they were glass. Our third and fourth French presses we bought ourselves and they were also glass. As you can tell, we had bad luck with them. At the store where I think they knew us by name, they told my husband about teh stainless steel one, so that's what we've had for a while now.

We have a small hot water tap just for the coffee (or tea, for tea drinkers. It's also good for instant ramen), so we don't have to boil the water.

When company comes, we make it in a regular drip coffee pot, although we also have an old fashioned percolator.

My husband drinks his black. I have real cream skimmed off the top of a jar of raw whole milk, cinnamon, and toffee flavored stevia drops.

For anyone who's got a Trader Joe's near, I highly suggest the Bay Blend:
e78883ce5f1d8570a1382769d2af2988_view.jpg

This stuff makes a very tasty espresso or Americano. Or, just regular coffee. For an "ultra dark" roast, I don't taste any burntness. Just nice rich, flavorful coffee.

And cheap! You can get a two lb canister for 14$ Doesn't get much better than that!

This stuff makes a very tasty espresso or Americano. Or, just regular coffee. For an "ultra dark" roast, I don't taste any burntness. Just nice rich, flavorful coffee.

And cheap! You can get a two lb canister for 14$ Doesn't get much better than that!

:hmm:

I'll give it a shot then

I'd give this a try; hopefully, it comes in smaller containers. Even at just one pound, it would have to be in bean form as I'm the only coffee drinker here and, at that, I drink no more than 12 ounces a day.

Last edited:
I'd give this a try; hopefully, it comes in smaller containers. Even at just one pound, it would have to be in bean form as I'm the only coffee drinker here and, at that, I drink no more than 12 ounces a day.

Yep, all Trader Joe's coffee is whole bean. They do have grinders if you want to grind yourself. The canisters have a lid, but I find it's best to vacuum seal the beans after each use. At first I was putting the beans in ziplock baggies and sucking out the air, then quickly sealing them. What a waste of energy.

About a month ago, I found one of my favorite new products:

3052802_com_vacuum_sealer_photos_001.jpg

It works fantastically for coffee beans. you can keep resealing the same bag, and the vacuum is excellent. Just as good as any Foodsaver type product. Before getting it, I would notice a difference in the taste of the coffee after breaking the seal and letting the beans air for a couple days. With this vacuum bag, it preserves the fresh-bean taste for weeks.

Here's an Ozark Mountain Hard Times Coffee recipe:
Mix well two quarts wheat bran with one pint yellow corn meal. Add three well-beaten eggs and one cup best sorghum molasses. Beat well; spread on pan and put to dry in oven. Use great care by stirring often while it is browning---this is the secret of good coffee. A handful is sufficient for two persons. Sweet cream improves the flavor of the brew, but, as is with store-bought coffee, this is a matter of personal taste.

:giggle:

Here's an Ozark Mountain Hard Times Coffee recipe:
Mix well two quarts wheat bran with one pint yellow corn meal. Add three well-beaten eggs and one cup best sorghum molasses. Beat well; spread on pan and put to dry in oven. Use great care by stirring often while it is browning---this is the secret of good coffee. A handful is sufficient for two persons. Sweet cream improves the flavor of the brew, but, as is with store-bought coffee, this is a matter of personal taste.

:giggle:

Friggin okies . . .

Back