Home Design Software

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this so I came here.

I have just purchased the HGTV Home & Landscape Design Software. Platinum Suite. Hoping it will do what I need. Since I have comprehension issues, it is harder for me than I thought it would be. I am trying to take a large garage (40'9" X 30'7") and convert it into a 4 bedroom 2 bath home. This is something totally new for us. MIL has 2 lots in this neighborhood. She has her house on one lot and the garage on the other lot. It already has a nice good driveway with access to all 3 bays. We will plan on removing garage doors and closing in the wall. Adding a front door and windows. We also have to replace 6 other windows and 2 other doors. Then we get to put in all the interior walls and such. I have also informed hubby that we will be installing the door signalers and all other signalers that I will need. We are hoping to keep the living/dining/kitchen as open as possible so I can see easily. We are also not having carpet at all. Tile for the bathrooms and laundry room and laminate wood floors for the rest of it.

Our biggest obstacle (besides money) will be putting in electric, water and plumbing. There is already a good solid concrete floor. Basically I have about 1246.5 sq ft of open shell to work with.

Wish me luck and if anyone has any ideas, I am open to any suggestions.

Put loft beds for the kids rooms. THese frames are easy to build and then desks, computers, a dresser, can go under. It saves a huge amount of space and makes their rooms more homelike.

Check your local agencies for building codes, etc. You probably need licensed people to do the electric, plumbing, etc. Or is your husband licensed to do some of that?

Put loft beds for the kids rooms. THese frames are easy to build and then desks, computers, a dresser, can go under. It saves a huge amount of space and makes their rooms more homelike.

Son really does want a loft bed. Daughter is scared of heights. We are hoping to build a loft bed for son, but have to keep his weight considerations in mind. Has to have a lot of support.

Daughter is really looking forward to having a double bed, desk, dresser and night stand. It will take time, but she will get it all. Since she will be with us until we are gone, she gets the best quality we can.

Check your local agencies for building codes, etc. You probably need licensed people to do the electric, plumbing, etc. Or is your husband licensed to do some of that?

Hubby is not licensed nor is he skilled at doing any of it. He is checking in with the Town Council for codes and such, but they are the original ones who suggested we do this. There are also quite a few people in MIL's church who are willing to help. They are licensed and are authorized to build in our town/village. Our town council requires all contractors to register with them before they are allowed to do any work in the town.

MIL is offering to get the loan for us to do this as she has perfect credit and would get a lower rate than we would. She would also help us with the payments if we needed it.

Turns out that her health is worse than she admitted to me and that's why we can't move out of state. There are problems with her blood and the doctor can't get it regulated right and still keep her on some of the meds she needs.

Ditto. Also, get all the required permits.

I have the basic HGTV software; lucky you to have the Platinum Suite. I'm jealous. :lol:

Another design option (less high tech and more hands on) is to get a book of templates, or find a website where you can download, print, and cut out paper templates. Just using pieces of paper representations of scaled furniture on grid paper can help you visual room design and furniture placement.

The HGTV software is best for visualizing finishes, such as paint colors, tiles, siding, and trims.

Make sure you insulate the building really well.

What kind of heating and air system will you have?

Make sure you insulate the building really well.

What kind of heating and air system will you have?

Not sure yet what we will get. We are planning on getting good insulation in the roof and walls. The walls are built as solid as the house, concrete blocks, rebar and cement. It has already withstood numerous hurricanes with only a small roof leak.

We will check with a local A/C school probably and let them do the A/C and heat. It will give us a price break and allow people to get the training they need.

Wow! This could be fun, exciting, and scary all into one. But it sounds as if you've got a plan with all this. I built my house, and completely remodeled a previous One, so if I can help with any questions, post them! I am unfamiliar with the software you bought, though.

(1) Does a law requires you to have a blue print and copy one for your town hall?

(2) I wonder does this software tells you or set up the town/state codes for your house design automatically before your inspector approves your floor plans? Otherwise, it might drain your hard work for nothing if it does not meet the building codes.

I have never tried this software and hope that it is a good one.

Last edited:
Hubby talked with someone today who has said that the best way to handle the plumbing issues with the foundation there is to cut the foundation in the areas and re-pour it. He thinks he could do all the building and such in 6-8 months since it's only the inside having to be done. Well, that and closing in the wall after removing 3 garage doors. He will work out a plan and thinks that he can get all 4 bedrooms in. 3 will be about 11 X 11 and the Master at 12 X 12, 2 1/2 bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, living room and dining room. He was expecting us to go with all tile, but I want laminate wood floors throughout except in the bathrooms and laundry room. He wants to drop the ceiling since right now it is open rafters and to the bottom of the rafter is 12 feet. We are going with 10 foot ceilings as we want ceiling fans and 3 people in the family are over 6 feet tall.

He measured and said my measurements were right and wants me to try with this computer program and see what I come up with compared to his thoughts. He is someone who a neighbor contracted with. He is Spanish and had to have an interpreter with him since hubby does not know Spanish. I can see it now, having the interpreter for the Spanish guy and having an interpreter for the deaf lady both working together so we all know what's going on.

This guy says it is easy to do and he will work in stages to make it easier. He will have a bunch of helpers and hubby and son will also be helping to cut costs. Who knows, maybe son will either learn a new language or learn a new trade.:hmm:

I am not quite sure if it is a good idea to cut the foundation. You need to find a right contractor. Big NO with a friendly Spanish contractor because he cannot read in English for the codes. Once you discovered a mistake or wrong code, then you might get into trouble because I used to work for a white flagship insurance company as an insurance house inspector. It's NOT a joke once if the inspector discovered something went wrong, then your insurance policy will be cancelled automatically especially a nightmare if your house mortgage company finds it out. It would better off for you to be rather safe than being real sorry.
I am not police telling you what to do. I believe that you have the right to do anything with your house, but the insurance is different. I hate any insurance controls it. Many inspectors definitely will not tell you if there is a problem because they write down on the paper and submit it to the insurance company silently. I am nice inspector and let them know friendly. I got tired of working for the company because of too many hours and too far away to inspect several houses.

If it is already a problem with your cement floor, just cover with a rug on it and if any cracked walls that need to be covered before an insurance inspector comes in to check around your house. I do not have a better answer for it.

...This guy says it is easy to do and he will work in stages to make it easier.
Remember, don't pay in advance. Pay as each stage is accomplished to your satisfaction.

...Who knows, maybe son will either learn a new language or learn a new trade.:hmm:
That would be nice. :)

Back