Home Burns to the Ground as Firefighters Stand and Watch

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Tenn. Family Missed a 'Pay to Spray' Fee, So Firemen Refused to Act

Firefighters aren't afraid to break down windows and doors to douse flames, but a Tennessee family's failure to pay a $75 fee stopped firefighters dead in their tracks last week as a home burned to the ground.

South Fulton, Tenn., firefighters stood on the sidelines, watching as flames engulfed Gene Cranick's Obion County home. They refused to help because Cranick had not paid an annual "pay to spray" subscription fee.

"I just forgot to pay my $75," homeowner Gene Cranick said. "I did it last year, the year before. ... It slipped my mind."

Watch "World News with Diane Sawyer" for more on this story tonight on ABC.

The city of South Fulton charges that $75 fire protection fee to rural residents who live outside the city limits. When a household has not paid the fee, firefighters are required by law to not respond.

"We have to follow the rules and the ordinances set forth to us, and that's exactly what we do," said Jeff Vowell, South Fulton city manager.

In fact, in Cranick's case, officials said that fire trucks didn't even show up until a neighbor who did pay the subscription fee called 911 to protect his home from the growing fire.

It's infuriating to Cranick, who is now left to clean up the charred remains of decades' worth of family heirlooms and other belongings.

"My neighbor called [the fire department], saying whatever it takes, we want them to put it out, we'll pay $500," said Cranick. "They told us, 'It's too late.'"

'Pay to Spray' Fees Common in Rural Areas
South Fulton has had the "pay to spray" policy in place for more than 20 years, and the fees -- which often cover police services, too -- are fairly common in rural areas. Without implementing complex tax arrangements to cover cash-strapped city budgets, there are simply few other options.

"If the city starts fighting fires in the homes of people outside the city who don't pay, why would anyone pay?" said Jacqueline Byers with the National Association of Counties.

As Firefighters Standby, Home Burns to the Ground
Still, it was small comfort to the Cranick family. Gene Cranick's son, Tim Cranick, was reportedly so upset by the fire department's actions that he went to the station and assaulted the fire chief. The younger Cranick was arrested and released on $5,000 bond, charged with aggravated assault.

"I don't know that there is a good situation when things like this happen," said Vowell. "It's regrettable. Tough for everyone involved."

Tennessee Family's Home Burns to the Ground as Firefighters Stand and Watch - ABC News

Gosh, this is a tough one to respond to!!

Gosh, this is a tough one to respond to!!

Yeah, it sure is....how would you feel if it were ur home?...Ur heirlooms, mementoes, pictures, etc., all up in flames, burned to ashes. All over a $75 dollar fee....Unbelievable!

Yeah, it sure is....how would you feel if it were ur home?...Ur heirlooms, mementoes, pictures, etc., all up in flames, burned to ashes. All over a $75 dollar fee....Unbelievable!

Yeah, that would be my reaction and that would be the end of that, I suppose....

Wow. Never heard that one has to pay a fee for the firefighters to hose the fire down.

It shouldn't have happened. I mean the fire bridage can issue an bill for their service after the job's been done.

Wow. Never heard that one has to pay a fee for the firefighters to hose the fire down.

It shouldn't have happened. I mean the fire bridage can issue an bill for their service after the job's been done.

These are rural people (vs being townsfolk) so they instituted this annual fee thing. I wonder why a reminder notice wasn't sent when this homeowner forgot to pay it?

These are rural people (vs being townsfolk) so they instituted this annual fee thing. I wonder why a reminder notice wasn't sent when this homeowner forgot to pay it?

I think they forgot after the fact.....:lol:

This is common....happens here too. It sounds cruel but that $75 constitutes a contract with the city. If the firefighters had entered that house and were injured they would not be covered by the city's insurance. Hopefully they had homeowners insurance......although that becomes dicey too since they didn't pay this fee. Insurance co. may reject the claim.

stoooopid

It says a lot when the president of the fire chiefs associations says the fire company were idiots. Their credo is supposed to be fight the fire first and sort it out later. What if it were the police sitting at the county witnessing a murder?
What do they say? "Learn to live with it" ??
I once lived in a town where the local ambulance company sent everyone a letter saying if they didn't pay something to support the volunteer ambulance service then they would not come get you when you were dying. Needless to say I didn't pay that blackmail donation but instead sold my house and moved out of there

When I lived in Knoxville nearly 15 years ago it was that way-- friends of mine lived in an area outside of the city's service area and had to pay Rural Metro to cover them-- thing that seemed odd to me is they were in city limits-- only they were outside of the original city limits-- and I think that's what the boundaries were based on-- it might be different now but these were the suburbs- not rural by any means-- and it was a lot more than $75 in 1998 to cover fire and EMS- was more like $250-300 a year...

I understand that volunteer fire departments don't get support from taxes so they have to charge fees from the homeowners.

However, I don't approve of them just standing by while someone's home burns down. I think they should go ahead and put out the fire, then put a lien on the homeowners insurance payment for the house.

Of course, it's possible that the homeowner who didn't bother to pay for firefighting protection may also be the person who didn't bother to pay for fire insurance. :(

To protect the lenders, Reba, maybe those fees should be incorporated in the mortgage payments....that's the way it is with mine...

To protect the lenders, Reba, maybe those fees should be incorporated in the mortgage payments....that's the way it is with mine...
True. But some of these rural places have either been inherited or the structure has been paid off (especially the mobile home residences). Thus, no mortgage. In those cases, they aren't required to carry insurance.

What if it were innocent pet or children inside the house? They are going to let them get burned alive?

And this doesn't seem to save anyone any money, really. Red Cross will have to come and help em out. Now that they are homeless, and probably going to need some kind of services, guess whose money that will probably help em? Yep, us, the taxpayers.

That law is stupid since it just hurts more than it helps. IMO

What if it were innocent pet or children inside the house? They are going to let them get burned alive?
If someone is endangered they're required to do a rescue.

They aren't required to save property.

And this doesn't seem to save anyone any money, really. Red Cross will have to come and help em out. Now that they are homeless, and probably going to need some kind of services, guess whose money that will probably help em? Yep, us, the taxpayers.

That law is stupid since it just hurts more than it helps. IMO
If they have fire insurance on their property, then it will pay for damages.

But problem is, how do they know if anyone is in the house if they don't step in, and to step in, they have to break in or spray their way in, no?

I think it would better to incorporated the fee with the real estate taxes , what if someone no longer has a mortgage to pay . The town send the real estate taxes out and it would be easy enough add the fee to the bill.

I think it would better to incorporated the fee with the real estate taxes , what if someone no longer has a mortgage to pay . The town send the real estate taxes out and it would be easy enough add the fee to the bill.

And if they didn't pay their taxes that year???

Back