Hoh

notunderstood

Reaction score
I am HOH and I am slowly losing my hearing, since then I have started forgetting how to say certain words and when I talk my words don't come out right and people are having a hard time understanding me. Is this normal? What are normal speech/language problems with hearing loss in young adults?

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Born deaf in both ears. Grew up orally and did have situations where some people couldnt understand me. It is normal.

Language problems do not result from deafness or hearing losses. They result from not having full access to language during their formative years.

No I don't have hearing aids. I have 30db nerve loss in both ears. The speech problem has just come up within the last 2 weeks. Everyone says I'm mumbling or my words arent being said right

No I don't have hearing aids. I have 30db nerve loss in both ears. The speech problem has just come up within the last 2 weeks. Everyone says I'm mumbling or my words arent being said right

You really should look into getting hearing aids. 30 decibels is considered mild hearing loss.

But if its mild why do I need hearing aids? Is this normal to be talking like this?

Whispering is around 30 decibels. Normal conversations are around 40 to 60 decibels. However, in noisy environments, it can be difficult. Not just that, by not taking care of your hearing loss, your speech skills is more likely to decline over the years.

Also, if you are having difficulties being understood by the others. That's a sign of a deeper hearing loss than 30 decibels. Maybe it's not just 30 decibels anymore. You better get your hearing checked as soon as possible.

Can you hear your own voice when you speak? Do you have trouble understanding speech when it is coming from behind you? From another room, like someone calling you? Do you gear the phone/tv/live music to your enjoyment?
These questions and your answers will help you decide to get H.I. and/or H.A.
Your hearing lost is not the only factor. One thing you don't want to do is put off seeing a professional for an evaluation regularly.

But if its mild why do I need hearing aids? Is this normal to be talking like this?

It is your choice but doesnt hurt to try to contact an audiologist and go from there. Maybe you will need HAs or maybe not.

I wore hearing aids all of my life. My hearing is not like a hearing person's with them on but they do help with lipreading.

I can hear my voice, I have a hard time hearing everyone else, cant understand in a noisy room or just even when another person is talking I totally get lost in whats being said. I am just really frustrated. I am going to the ENT in a couple weeks for another hearing test.

Okay is there a website where I can check out different hearing aids?

First, you want to get checked out by a Doctor not an audiologist and have a hearing test done at the hospital. Second, you want to look into what hearing aids you can afford and what the best aids are. Finally, you want to look into other devices to go with the hearing aid such as FM system to listen at meetings and your ipod, etc.

You'll be OK.

Ops !my daughter got to the computer lol well you should get hearing aids so your speech might get better if not! it will not get better ..my speech was very good now many people ask if i have a cold all the time or if im tired and things like that.. no hearing aid = no good speech.. you will have a deaf voice..

Back